Popular Tags: [View All]
Carl Anderson
United States
New Boston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mb
My wife and I had been introduced to this game by a friend many years ago. We'd played several times with him and his girlfriend, but had not played for many moons. Recently we picked up the game (and its first expansion), and we've picked up right where we left off.

The game is simple enough: Be the first player to reach level 10. Getting there is the challenge, of course, but it never feels tedious or difficult.

For those unfamiliar with the series, it's essentially a tongue-in-cheek look at RPGs. You start off as a level one human with no class (the game's description, not mine!) and can change races or classes with certain cards. Bonuses are in the form of weapons, armour, or other oddities like a Spiked Codpiece or an Eleven Foot Pole. Each turn you "kick down the door" to take a chance at fighting a monster, and if you succeed you go up a level. At any time, though, you might find yourself cursed by an opponent's card or have Bad Stuff happen to you by that monster you couldn't flee.

In general, Munchkin is a very easy game to learn and play (and the flowchart PDF linked on this site makes it nearly idiot-proof). It really comes down to the luck of the draw and the strategy of how you play the cards in your hand. You must balance when to play a monster to allow you to easily level up with playing that same monster, perhaps with a modifier, to thwart your opponent.

While the game is designed for 3 or more players, it can be played (as we do) with 2. It's a very different experience, mind you: oftentimes one person runs away with the game, leaving the other stuck at level 2 or 3. But the way I figure it, it just leaves more time for more games.

The artwork on the cards is quite good, and while it's not full-color it gets the job down well. The backs of the cards are done well so that you can tell, at a glance, which type of card it is. And the humour put into the descriptions is phenomenal--half the fun of the game is truly reading the cards and looking at the great pictures.

There's really nothing that detracts majorly from the game, aside from the above note about the 2-player conundrum. Also, note that you'll need something that counts to 10 for level tracking--we purchased a couple of 10-sided dice, but you don't need to. (It would have been nice to see them included in the game, but Munchkin Dice are available as an "expansion.")

This is a great game and earns my high praise. It's perfect for a non-gamer (my wife's always wanting to play) as well as a hardcore gamer, thanks to all of its expansions. Well worth the money!

Score:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Senor EvilMonkey
United Kingdom
Canterbury
Kent
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Spot on! Me and the missus often while away an hour or two playing Munchkin 2 player. An added bonus is that it's nice and easy to introduce to newbie/non-gamers, and unlike some games, I notice that new and totally inexperienced gamers quickly pick up on the back-stabbing and dodgy-dealing aspect quite quickly!

The game flows nicely and captures the imagination nicely, and newbie non-gamers seem to 'role play' along with events very naturally (rather than get bogged down in mechanics players can quickly get caught up in the theme).

The only people who I found didn't get on with Munchkin were the same people that would scream 'You're not taking it seriously enough!!!' when playing their favourite games...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trencher for Life
United States
Slidell
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent review. I never understood the vitriolic hatred of this game on the Geek. For such a simple game and premise, it seems to piss people off, especially the RPG crowd; which I still don't understand because I'm the target market (RPG'er)!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.