GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

8,021 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
21 Days Left

Support:

Aigars Grēniņš
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, it’s not that fearful as in that famous TV show, but in the end there will be only one winner here, too.
Are you ready to play the Game of Trains? Do you have the power to take the iron train, lead it through ice and fire and become the sole ruler of Wester... Oops!

Short Overview
Game of Trains is a card game for 2 to 4 players ages 8 and up, plays under 30 minutes. It’s designed by Trehgrannik group (i.e. Trihedron in English). Their previous works include Bug Race and Kings Under Mountains. The beautiful card illustrations are created by Reinis Pētersons, one of my favorite illustrators and animators. He’s done some amazing work on games like Om Nom Nom, Wash Dash and another Essen Spiel 2015 release Sly Dice (read my review here). Definitely check out his work at http://reinispetersons.com/.

Rules Summary
In Game of Trains each player manages his own line of trains that is made of a locomotive card and 7 railcar cards. You start the game with your railcars in descending order.
Here’s an example.

The winner is the first player to arrange all his railcars in an ascending order. How do you do that? Well, on your turn you have two options:
Draw a card from the draw pile and replace any one card in your train line. The replaced card goes to the middle of the table.
Take a card from the middle of the table and use its special power. Special powers allow you to swap, move, destroy or protect railcar cards. After that discard the used card.

My thoughts
I played a couple of four player games and enjoyed them quite a bit. I’m still uncertain what the winning strategy is, but that’s a good thing, I guess. One thing I can recommend – keep an eye on your opponents (at least, the one to your left). Try to predict their next move and do not replace a card with a special action they’ll benefit from.
It’s thinky, but fast. It might seem like a multiplayer solitaire at first, but the special actions add a nice tension between the players. A very solid filler to play at lunch or during the game night between heavier games. And the artwork is just phenomenal. It reminds me of those crazy cars from the latest Mad Max movie.

Some pictures

betterblanklivingblankthroughblankboardgames
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The theme seems very much tagged onto the mechanics. Why would you need your wagons in a specific order?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aigars Grēniņš
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DreamStorm wrote:
The theme seems very much tagged onto the mechanics. Why would you need your wagons in a specific order?

Nowadays many fillers have no theme at all, just numbers on cards. This game offers great looks and at least tries to connect visuals with the theme. You cannot have everything in a small game like this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ernest S
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds a bit like advanced Rack-O but with waaaaay better art (and some added mechanics).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
Great Falls
Virginia
flag msg tools
I see it as a much better 10 Days in Wherever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Smith
New Zealand
Wellington
--------------
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Nice little overview. Thanks.

The game sounds interesting. Is it available anywhere other than Essen?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Janis Grunte
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It will be after Essen. Not sure about Australia. But do contact me after Essen and we will figure something out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ezra Seidel
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Did anyone else notice all of the Game of Thrones references on the cards?

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/2640567/game-trains?size=...
58 has the dragon eggs, 65 says "Lannister," and 27 has a Weirwood with a face.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/2682666/baltu-kobalts?siz...
56 says "Stark," 42 has the Iron Throne, and 23 says "Martell."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Robinson
England
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not only that, but looking through the image files there's the A-Team van and KITT (Knight Rider Trans Am) too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Loftus
United States
Henrietta
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A-Team Van
KITT from Knight Rider
The General Lee from Dikes of Hazzard
Area 51 UFO
Ecto 1 from Ghostbusters
Game of Thrones Throne
Loch Ness monster
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.