$30.00
Jason Levine
United States
Cooper City
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will try to keep this as spoiler free as possible...

I have been thinking about these 2 questions that seem to be coming up in the forums here the most. I wanted to give some guidance to people asking these questions based on my experience with the game.

After having some time to ponder what we went through and decompress afterwards, here is what I have to say about both of these topics to help with purchasing decisions.

1. In our video people are under the impression that the game is finished. In one regard the storyline is finished when you win/lose in the December plays of the game. I feel that the reason we implied that the game is completed and we "won" is because we did actually win our December play (Game #17) and completed the legacy part of the game.

Now, if we hadn't won the game in December we could easily have played Game #18, Game #19, etc. until we actually won with the December "final map scenario" after all the legacy elements are implemented. So in that regard, I do believe that you can use your "custom created" game and continue playing again as many times as you like. Of course you are not playing regular Pandemic at that point but a newly created and unique version/variant of it

So for those who are afraid to purchase because they feel it is a finite amount of plays...don't be. You can play it again if you like (although in our case there was no reason to as we won December and now know the whole storyline). But I can see pulling it out again in a few months and playing the "December version" of the game again just to do something different than "normal Pandemic".

2. As far as trying to make the game "non-legacy" so that you can start over in January and play through the game again, I would recommend not doing that. It is easier to just pick up a 2nd copy of the game if you want to play again with another group.

As I am someone who had a hard time at first with the concept of permanency with stickers and ripping up pieces I didn't think I would ever feel this way, but I do. It is not just the "unique art" argument that pro-legacy people make...but it is the practicality argument.

Having gone through the full year of the game I can say that it could be done BUT the time drain necessary to track all of the legacy elements would be overwhelming and ruin the experience. Each of our games averaged just under an hour to play (in full legacy mode). If you have to track all of the legacy changes it would take HOURS for each game. I know for myself I wouldn't want each game to take between 3 and 5 hours just to have it preserved so that I could be able to go back to January and fully reset everything. The tracking of changes is not worth it and would suck all the fun out of the game and the story/experience.

***********************************

I hope this helps everyone on their decisions about purchasing Pandemic Legacy for their group!

I will say that I personally had a BLAST with the game and would HIGHLY RECOMMEND purchasing and playing it with your group This is the most fun I have had this year and you will not regret your decision to get immersed in the storyline!
68 
 Thumb up
0.30
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for sharing your thoughts I am looking forward to trying this one out.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xenothon Stelnicki
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the insights, Jason. Glad you gave it a chance and enjoyed it so much. Less than a week more to go!!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
liarsdice wrote:
So for those who are afraid to purchase because they feel it is a finite amount of plays...don't be. You can play it again if you like (although in our case there was no reason to as we won December and now know the whole storyline). But I can see pulling it out again in a few months and playing the "December version" of the game again just to do something different than "normal Pandemic".

2. As far as trying to make the game "non-legacy" so that you can start over in January and play through the game again, I would recommend not doing that. It is easier to just pick up a 2nd copy of the game if you want to play again with another group.


Well... some of us have finite amounts of money to spend on games, whether it's because of involuntary limitations (IE, being a starving college student) or because we find finances easier with a budget, or something like that.

In my case, no game alive is ever going to match the feeling of getting my mortgage paperwork back with "lien paid" stamped across the top of it. So I'll stick with picking the games I purchase carefully.

Quote:
I hope this helps everyone on their decisions about purchasing Pandemic Legacy for their group!


It did, thank you.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean L
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
When you say you 'won' as you beat the last scenario - does the campaign have an actual win or loss state? You mention you could keep playing until you beat it but does the game essentially tell you "you only have one shot at this to 'win' the campaign" (or the regular two shots)?

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Levine
United States
Cooper City
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Deano2099 wrote:
When you say you 'won' as you beat the last scenario - does the campaign have an actual win or loss state? You mention you could keep playing until you beat it but does the game essentially tell you "you only have one shot at this to 'win' the campaign" (or the regular two shots)?



December is the same as every other month where you get 2 chances to "win" the month. If you lose a different month twice then you advance to the next month...in the case of December the official legacy part is over after 2 plays of it.

What I was saying as a "hypothetical" is that after those 1 or 2 chances in December (the official end to the legacy part) then you could always just pull out the map and play it again for fun (not as part of the legacy but just for fun). In this case you would have to play "December map scenario" again as the map and everything at that point is already "changed" to that state of legacy (the final state of legacy) and it is the only option you would have for future replays.

Think of it similar to Risk Legacy where after 15 plays you can still play the game but only with your new board. This is the same and you just play it again with your final board. And just like Risk Legacy after your 12-24 plays of Pandemic Legacy you aren't changing things anymore but now have a unique board to use with the rulebook and everything else! So theoretically you can have infinite plays with the final "setup" and just use those rules in the future.

Hope that helps further explain without giving away any of the spoiler details!
14 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baker Odom
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Jason thanks for this post! Always really enjoy your insights into the hobby. My copy is preordered and hopefully won't be too long in getting here after the release date!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Salazar
msg tools
mb
great read!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
So is your December board still fun?

Might be kind of amusing for a Not-So-Secret Santa "December" P:L trade, where P:L owners swap their "finished" Legacy games!
11 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
I like elephants. I like how they swing through trees.
mbmbmbmbmb
Jason, can you answer if there are difficulty levels like in regular Pandemic, with 4/5/6 epidemics?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Games Are About Glory
United States
Macedon
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you think a group would be missing out by playing with 3 instead of 4?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Mair
Canada
St. Hubert
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Jason, and a special thanks for holding in your spoilers (loved your "game of the month" segment and the end of Miami Dice).

In your opinion, can this work with 5 players or is it truly limited to 4?

While at Essen, check out Leacock's new co-op: Thunderbirds!!! Would love to hear your opinion on that one.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Jonas

Oakdale
Minnesota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
liarsdice wrote:

Think of it similar to Risk Legacy where after 15 plays you can still play the game but only with your new board. This is the same and you just play it again with your final board. And just like Risk Legacy after your 12-24 plays of Pandemic Legacy you aren't changing things anymore but now have a unique board to use with the rulebook and everything else! So theoretically you can have infinite plays with the final "setup" and just use those rules in the future.

Does the board really change that much that you can't play normal Pandemic on it? Based on pictures I have seen it looks like the same map as normal Pandemic. You can play normal Risk on the Legacy board if you just ignore the stickers and have the right components. Unless you are actually removing cities or city connections if the map stays the same you could play normal Pandemic?

There's two reasons people are asking about this. One is the replay-ability aspect that is being covered here. The other, I think, is storage. Can one box contain two games? Or does one need to keep their original copy of Pandemic? Like Tsuro of the Seas, you don't need to keep Tsuro then.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sirpoonga wrote:
Does the board really change that much that you can't play normal Pandemic on it? Based on pictures I have seen it looks like the same map as normal Pandemic. You can play normal Risk on the Legacy board if you just ignore the stickers and have the right components. Unless you are actually removing cities or city connections if the map stays the same you could play normal Pandemic?

My view of the mapboard showed a few extra connections, such as Santiago to Bueños Aires.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
I like elephants. I like how they swing through trees.
mbmbmbmbmb
Grudunza wrote:
Jason, can you answer if there are difficulty levels like in regular Pandemic, with 4/5/6 epidemics?


Got a look at an advance copy tonight, so I can answer my own question... Per the rules, it appears that you use 5 epidemics. Presumably, that might change as the story unfolds, but there isn't a different difficulty level offered to begin with.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Batey
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Grudunza wrote:
Jason, can you answer if there are difficulty levels like in regular Pandemic, with 4/5/6 epidemics?
p

I'm up to April and so far there are no additional epidemic cards. The difficulty adjusts if you win or lose in other ways.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Batey
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
FrozenHoHos wrote:
Do you think a group would be missing out by playing with 3 instead of 4?


I'm playing in a group of three. I'd imagine it would be better having that extra player, but we are still REALLY enjoying the game.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Donghi
Italy
Near Milan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you very much for your comments, they're really helpful and appreciated!

If I may, I have a question.
liarsdice wrote:

If you have to track all of the legacy changes it would take HOURS for each game. I know for myself I wouldn't want each game to take between 3 and 5 hours just to have it preserved so that I could be able to go back to January and fully reset everything. The tracking of changes is not worth it and would suck all the fun out of the game and the story/experience.

Can you please use the spoiler tag /o to kinda hint what changes we are up against?
So far as I understand it, we have:
- stickers on game board
- stickers on rulebook
- stickers on character sheet
- marker on character sheet
- tearing up character sheets

So basically the plan is to:
- get photos of envelope contents to sort them out later
- use acetate to cover the board so you can write and draw on it with the marker
- get battle-ready copies of character sheets and rulebook so you can write on them any additional rule/skill/etc
- Sleeve the cards so you can write on the sleeve with maker in case you need to add stickers (as per Risk Legacy)

Can you hint, under spoiler, what I'm missing? To me it doesn't really seem it would multiply play time by 2 or 3 times just cause you have to scribble some rules a few times per game.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
Netherlands
Rijswijk
Zuid Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for this post, just what I needed!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Lanthier
Canada
flag msg tools
Vittek wrote:

Can you please use the spoiler tag /o to kinda hint what changes we are up against?
So far as I understand it, we have:
- stickers on game board
- stickers on rulebook
- stickers on character sheet
- marker on character sheet
- tearing up character sheets

So basically the plan is to:
- get photos of envelope contents to sort them out later
- use acetate to cover the board so you can write and draw on it with the marker
- get battle-ready copies of character sheets and rulebook so you can write on them any additional rule/skill/etc
- Sleeve the cards so you can write on the sleeve with maker in case you need to add stickers (as per Risk Legacy)

Can you hint, under spoiler, what I'm missing? To me it doesn't really seem it would multiply play time by 2 or 3 times just cause you have to scribble some rules a few times per game.


You seem to have it all ... there are ALOT of stickers ... a whole lot a sheet of them.

Along with 8 boxes that are stealed ... with something who knows what in them. Along with secret files that are sealed.

I think the big thing is the stickers seems like a 100s of them *Probably not*

I really get that some people love this aspect to me this is a game I play 17 times for 80$ then toss. ... also means that we only play it with certain friends ... at certain times ... and since we don't really have regular play sessions pretty rough.

I should have read the fine print.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cable
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I created a Risk Legacy variant a while back to make it so you do not destroy your game, yet still have the legacy experience. I have been playing Pandemic Legacy and am now realizing how to create a variant that allows you to keep your game together while mixing in all the legacy elements.

After I am done with my play through, I will look into writing this stuff down and uploading here.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon J
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Print and Play Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
When the campaign is over and you've made it to December, are there a lot of stuff that never gets used in this game? (I was possibly thinking of trying to do this game so I could preserve it to play it again).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Charlton
United Kingdom
New Barnet
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
www.finchleygamesclub.org
mbmbmbmbmb
patton55 wrote:
When the campaign is over and you've made it to December, are there a lot of stuff that never gets used in this game? (I was possibly thinking of trying to do this game so I could preserve it to play it again).


These threads are starting to go round in circles.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Perry Clayton
United States
Hanceville
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
liarsdice wrote:
In this case you would have to play "December map scenario" again as the map and everything at that point is already "changed" to that state of legacy...


Spoiler (click to reveal)
This was certainly not the case for us. We were still vaccinating cities in our second December game. Indeed that was the December game. Having placed those stickers, I'm not sure how you would have that experience again as you suggest.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon J
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Print and Play Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, I'm jumping all in. I'm doing this. Stickers on the board, etc...Just completed January and I'm having a blast. And people are right, you should just relax and have fun, don't worry about saving anything, just play. This game tells a great story.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.