BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Works in Progress

Subject: WIP - Giant Space Bugs - 2015 Mint Tin Contest rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: a-faire [+] [View All]
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Giant Space Bugs

Your squad of soldiers must work together to defend the space outpost against an invasion of giant space bugs until reinforcements can arrive. You must last through multiple waves of enemy attacks, while managing your supplies and making decisions as a team, in order to survive. If your base is overrun by space bugs or destroyed, you lose the game.

Game Design: Robin Gibson and R4D6
# of Players: 1-4
Playing Time: 30-45 Minutes
Ages 13 and up
Contest Rules: v0.93
Contest Components: v0.93
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure if we will be able to fit all of the components into a mint tin, but Robin and I wanted to share our progress with you. The rules and components files need some work still. Please feel free to offer any suggestions or feedback - it is always appreciated! Thanks for taking a look.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corry Damey
United States
Twin Falls
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As a graphic designer, you've hooked me with the graphics and fun color palette. The rules are very straight forward (I quite enjoyed the "your Mother and I know" part) and I would look forward to playing the PnP copy. Would you suggest waiting for a revised version of the rules before attempting a play or is it playable as-is?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy Board Game
United States
Evansville
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks really cool!

I just took some small Chessex dice and cards the thickness of 28 cards and it occupies nearly the entire mint tin by itself. Even if you use regular card stock for everything I don't see it happening. Now if you could do each players turn individually then you could reduce it to 5 dice and that would give you a ton of room (relatively speaking). I was looking at the cubes and thought you could replace the alien cubes with the little green batteries from Galaxy Trucker or Space Alert and replace the marines with the little cosmonaut guys from Galaxy Trucker.

Another idea is to have the Events on one side of the card and the attacks on the other. You would just have to draw cards from the bottom of the deck instead of the top. That would reduce the card count to 14 plus player mats and tiles (assuming 2x2 inch tiles using these dice and these tiny cubes you could make it work.

The image shows the equivalent of 14 cards + 9 cards for player mats + 13 tiles of card thickness (if you made the tiles 1x1 that could even be reduced. The craft cubes are really small but it's a mint tin game, so…whistle They are an alternative to the regular size cubes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
corneliusdamey wrote:
As a graphic designer, you've hooked me with the graphics and fun color palette. The rules are very straight forward (I quite enjoyed the "your Mother and I know" part) and I would look forward to playing the PnP copy. Would you suggest waiting for a revised version of the rules before attempting a play or is it playable as-is?

Thanks! The credit goes to Robin for the artwork and graphic design. This version is certainly playable as is and we would love some feedback if you get a chance. The components need to be updated to match the rules (some of the tile names and the reference cards) but other than that, it should work.

Gary - thank you for the insight and advice. Interesting suggestions on the individual turns and combining the event/attack decks. It is very much appreciated. It's nice knowing exactly how many components can fit as well!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Gibson
Canada
Powell River
BC
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The bits should all fit. We'll list a couple elastic bands in the components maybe

I like the double-sided card idea. I've tried to avoid double-sided anything because it's a bit annoying to craft. I'd be interested to know if having to glue components turns people off of Print and Play games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We have been doing a lot of playtesting lately and have been working on the rules as well. Here is the latest PNP file.

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions so far. It is very much appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ghislain LEVEQUE
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome art, can't wait to try this
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
courtjus wrote:
Awesome art, can't wait to try this

Thank you for the kind words! Robin's done a great job.

It still needs a lot of work. I'm not sure if we will make many changes to it before this contest wraps up though.

Right now it's playing a little too long (~10 minutes rounds), it could be streamlined, the combat mechanic could be modified, a better win condition could be implemented, and the theme could be brought out more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mister Square
msg tools
Neat game, I just got done making the components.

Playtested solo the game a bit, and thought it was pretty good. Though I would like a few things clarified:

1. Does the player set up his soldiers first on the station squares during the game set up? If so, does the player decide where the cubes go or do the pieces have to placed on certain squares?

2. For solo play, I used 20 dice for the command rolls (5 dice per command board). Is this correct?

Also, thank you for this game. It looks great and I had fun playing and building it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hubert Spala
Poland
Kraków
małopolskie
flag msg tools
designer
Oh damn! Definitely subscribed! This game have me by the guts by it's amazing theme and artwork... Ancient Gold Era comicbooks and pulp artwork of aliens? Desaturated colors? The whole mood of early 50'-60' Sci-Fi? Gosh, it's a must.

I love how the game looks like. I will /surely/ print it and run it through my testing group on Monday or during weekend, so expect some post-gameplay feedback soon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for playtesting it Mister! Appreciate the questions and feedback.

1. For set up, you draw 3 cards from the Attack deck and flip 3 station tiles, draw 3 more and place 1 bug on each of those tiles, and finally draw 4 cards and each player puts their units on 1 of those tiles. Will clarify this in the next update.

2. Yes - that is correct. We are currently discussing some small changes, including replacing the command rolls with 5 actions (each player chooses which 5 to take).

Fireant wrote:
I love how the game looks like. I will /surely/ print it and run it through my testing group on Monday or during weekend, so expect some post-gameplay feedback soon

Thanks for the kind words Hubert! You nailed the description of the theme and art style we were aiming for. We would love some post-gameplay feedback as well! It is very helpful.

We might make 1 round of minor changes before the contest deadline tomorrow. Just finalizing the files now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Here are the latest files: Rules V0.93 and PNP V0.93

All of the components should now fit into a mint tin. Thanks again for all of the feedback and support! It is very much appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chun-Tse Huang
msg tools
Great Art the game look amazing, I have a question though does the player interact with each other at all? Since it look like it is mostly just player against the bug
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Pierce
United States
kenmore
New York
flag msg tools
designer

i managed to fit everything in the tin except the rules by using tiny dice i also made a spacey back for the cards and custom space soldier miniatures which i think are a lot cooler then cubes and take up less space. i included pics of them if you want to make them i used laminated cardstock for them and the rest of the game to. if anyone wants to know where to get the dice i got 50 for a couple dollars on ebay i see the updated rules got rid of the rolling for actions but i like that mechanic alot and i assume you just got rid of it to save space in the tin so im gonna keep using them and adjust the rules if i must. i i have played it once so far and i think it is great i think it has enough meat to it that it could be a full sized game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hipeter4305 wrote:
Great Art the game look amazing, I have a question though does the player interact with each other at all? Since it look like it is mostly just player against the bug

Thanks! As a cooperative game, the main interaction between players is planning out your moves and actions together and making decisions as a team.

Nicholas - that looks like a great build you put together! I really like the custom space soldiers you created and the card backs look great too. Excellent job! Here are the backs for the event & attack cards if anyone else is interested.

Yes - we decided to remove the dice action mechanic for the contest to make sure all of the components would fit into the tin. You should be able to play the game using either method.

If you have any feedback or suggestions - it would be much appreciated. Thanks again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Gibson
Canada
Powell River
BC
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You might be interested, I made this alternate way of using dice for actions:

This basically just replaces the Actions card in the newest version of the game, and on your turn, you roll five dice, and can use any die with any action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mister Square
msg tools
Glad to see the new rules, and thanks for the clarifications.

Had a handy empty plastic container to store the game, so I could play the dice or command versions of the game. And I love the ending boss fight - adds to the theme and makes it more thematic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marianne Waage
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Thanks for the card backs! I was thinking of formatting this for Printer Studio mini cards. I kind of want to put the map tiles on a light cardboard, but then it really doesn't look like it would fit in the tin anymore...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Beachler
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The classic comic book style art is awesome. Love the look and can't wait to try it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Douglas
msg tools
Fantastic art style. Looks like a ton of fun, keep it up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy Board Game
United States
Evansville
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
A really stunning game which has earned the win most definitely. The art/graphic design is fantastic, and I've really enjoyed seeing the game mechanic iterations and how it has been finely tuned.

Great job to both of you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elliot Fisch
United States
South Bend
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Congrats on the win. Looks really good--I'm just about ready to put it together but am confused about what seem to be contradictory instructions:
The instructions say "Before rolling, you may decrease morale by 1 to decrease the combat number by 1." But the game aide card says you do the same thing by spending one Food.
Which is it please? And I assume you'd have to do this spending for any tile separately on your turn for each combat. And I assume you can have more than one combat in a tile on a player's turn.
Thanks for taking the time to design this and answer questions like mine!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the kind of words.

This design has gone through quite a few iterations and many playtests and I apologize for any confusion there in the rules. Thanks for catching it and pointing it out.

The rules should state that you may decrease food by 1 to decrease the combat target value by 1, like Popeye in a sense. I will fix that when I have a chance.

Yes - when lowering the combat target number, it only applies to the enemy units currently being attacked.

Yes - you can attack the same enemy units multiple times per a turn.

I hope this helps answer your questions - please let me know if you have any other questions. I hope you enjoy playing it and feedback is much appreciated. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.