Subject: List of rules changes rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ido Abelman
Israel
Hod Hasharon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After my previous thread of card changes some asked me to do a list of rule changes. There are a lot less rule changes than card changes, and all the major ones are listed on previews and such (as well as a comment on this thread which I'm actually using as the main source). Some minor rule changes are not listed anywhere and currently you need to search for them (maybe the handbook will have a differences appendix?). I'll list what I noticed.

Changes listed elsewhere:
1. Tactics: probably the biggest change. Each player that plays a tactics card only has one round to use it exclusively. At the start of his next turn the player will move the tactics (marked with his "tactics standard" - a new kind of token each player has one of) to a new central board called the tactics board. Any player can now copy that tactic by paying 2 MA and moving their tactics standard to that card.

2. Corruption: each player starts with 16 blue token. Corruption is now payed before production, so you can easily see how much you'll need to pay by looking at which number is uncovered.

3. If you play a new leader while having another one, replacing it, you get a civil action back.

4. There are no longer limits on military strength, science or culture growth, or science points.

5. Excess military cards are now discarded at the end of your turn (before maintenance), not at its start (after politics).

6. Sacrifice and defense: sacrificing military units as part of aggressions and wars is out of the game now. Instead you have a new option to defend against aggressions - you can discard any military card for +1 strength. There is a limit however - the total amount of defense cards you play and cards you discard to defend cannot exceed your MA total.

Changes I could only find in rulebook:
1. No mention of the "simple" and "advanced" game as possible ways to play anymore. Will the handbook have them as teaching tutorials?

2. If you resign, any player who had a war declared against you scores 7 culture. Probably done to reduce the inherent kingmaking in resigning while there is a war declared on you.

3. No resigning during age IV. Probably same reasoning.

If you notice any change I missed please comment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus
Italy
Torino
Piemonte
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CBpegasus wrote:

1. Tactics: probably the biggest change. Each player that plays a tactics card only has one round to use it exclusively. At the start of his next turn the player will move the tactics (marked with his "tactics standard" - a new kind of token each player has one of) to a new central board called the tactics board. Any player can now copy that tactic by paying 2 MA and moving their tactics standard to that card.
Tell me if I'm wrong: Only 1 Tactics card for player, because is there only 1 tactics standard. If U play a new card U put your tactics standard on the new one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walter Kolczynski
United States
College Park
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
UtterMarcus wrote:
Tell me if I'm wrong: Only 1 Tactics card for player, because is there only 1 tactics standard. If U play a new card U put your tactics standard on the new one.
You can only have one active at a time (just like before). But if you play a new one, it doesn't remove any you have played previously from the board (other people can still use it).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George I.
Switzerland
Z├╝rich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CBpegasus wrote:
1. No mention of the "simple" and "advanced" game as possible ways to play anymore. Will the handbook have them as teaching tutorials?
It's a bit early on that. The "Code of Laws" is intended to be a rules reference rulebook, not a teaching handbook. I assume that the to-be-released handbook will feature both simple/advanced, but that's just my intuition...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus
Italy
Torino
Piemonte
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a new icon for colonization bonus, example: cartography tech card. not a new rule but an addition, more clear now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Schoenheiter
Germany
Heusenstamm
Hessen
flag msg tools
publisher
Also: GameDev&Editor
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you discard excess military cards and THEN get to draw more - doesn't this mean you will be able to have (say from the beginning) have always 4 military cards to play, even though your limit is 2?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Kamber
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
benji_online wrote:
If you discard excess military cards and THEN get to draw more - doesn't this mean you will be able to have (say from the beginning) have always 4 military cards to play, even though your limit is 2?

This is not that different from the old version. The main difference is that you have time to play tactics before the discard happens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Schoenheiter
Germany
Heusenstamm
Hessen
flag msg tools
publisher
Also: GameDev&Editor
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
True - I only played the old game once (the hint with the tactics is a good one; interesting change), it simply felt a bit strange, that the limit is not actually the limit but rather which 2 you can take into the next round with you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Tilalilalou
France
flag msg tools
There is one rule change which is missing:

In the first version, a short game ended as soon as there were no civil card remaining and everyone had played the same number of turn.

In the new TTA version, the Handbook for the short game states that everyone should get one more round when there are no cards left (same rule as in the complete game).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls