Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Erskine
United States
Alexandria
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I've been looking forward to this all year and couldn't wait any longer. The deadline is the same, this just gives you more time to hurry up and get those last few games played.

Last year we ran the 1-Player Guild's inaugural People's Choice Top 100 Solo Games List. It was a lot of fun both to run as well as see the results. So we're back again this year. We had 86 people vote, listing 393 games.

If you are interested in the results of last year's list, it is here: 2014 People's Choice Top 100 Solo Games

The inspiration as I mentioned last year was from the Dice Tower's People's Choice top 100 Games.

Last year, we had people submit their entries to me in a geekmail. I still think the volume is manageable so I'll do it again the same way.

What we're looking for is a list of your top 20 games in order from #1 to #20. While perhaps there are better ways to do this, scoring is simple. Your #1 choice gets 20 points, #2 gets 19 ...

The first tie breaker will be Total # of votes for the game. The second tie breaker will be the highest ranking it was given by someone, the third if applicable will be how many #1 votes did it receive. If still tied, I'll break the tie and note it.

Last year I asked for comments, that added a lot of extra work and I probably missed some. This time we'll skip the comments and you can add your comments when the list is revealed.

Last year, we also lumped some games together (like the D&D games). We're going to let every game stand on its own this time. I will not differentiate between versions if the game is still pretty much the same game. So War of the Ring and War of the Ring collector's edition are the same game. The countless versions of Cosmic Encounter are the same game. (Not that these are necessarily solo games).

When the list is compiled, I'll add some notes indicating where certain games would have fallen had they been added together. (Like the D&D games).

We are looking for board games you play solo. So if you love a game where you play both sides, feel free to include it. If you play a Co-op game playing multiple characters, include it. We don't want computer games or implementations of a board game where you play because the device provides an opponent. The example I used last year was playing Eclipse on the iPad where the device provides opponents. If you wouldn't play the board game playing all the opponents then don't include it here. On the flip side playing Ghost Stories on the iPad is exactly the same as playing it with the board game components so you can count it. The bottom line is that include it if someone buying the physical game could get the same experience.

You don't have to send 20 games. If you only have 5, just include the rankings and I'll weight them appropriately. #1-GameA, #5-GameB, #10-GameC. So GameA=20pts, GameB=16Pts, GameC=11pts.

We'll reveal the results slowly in starting in December. Also, at the end after the reveal, I'll produce a spreadsheet if people are interested so they can see all the details.

P.S. Feel free to mention this in Blogs and such if you want more exposure for voting. I don't know about the rest of you, but I've seen a lot more interest in solo play in the last year. It seems to be in a lot more games and available as a goal in more Kickstarters. I really think we're getting our voice heard.

======================================================================
Rules:
Deadline for submissions: Nov 30th.

Send me (kerskine) your votes from 1-20 (1 is your favorite) in a geekmail. Please use 2015 Solo Vote in the title. If for some reason you change your mind then send a new geekmail with a clear note that you want this to count instead of your original vote.

If you specifically are referring to an older version that is a very different game, then specify that so I can find it.

Don't vote for expansions. If you believe an expansion makes the game, you can mention that in the comments when the games are revealed. e.g. For a game like Archipelago, if you play with the Solo Expansion, still cast your vote for the base game.

Put each game on a different line.
e.g.
1-Chess
2-LCR
3-Arkham Horror (1987 Version)

Lastly, anyone can vote. You don't have to be a member of the 1-Player Guild. But if you aren't, we hope you'll consider joining. It's truly a fantastic group of people.

Edit: I forgot to mention that PnP play games are definitely welcome. We had a few make the list last year.

The Final List is here: 2015 People's Choice Top 100 Solo Games
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Human Garynome
United Kingdom
Gateshead
Tyne and Wear
flag msg tools
badge
I secretly play games multiplayer...
mbmbmbmbmb
Hooray!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Gastonguay
United States
Pottstown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Act Three! Everybody Dies!
mbmbmbmbmb
Woo!

Yet the agony of deciding all over again!

But, still, woo!

I know my list is radically more informed this year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Erskine
United States
Alexandria
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When we publish the list, I think I should point out that reading the list could be hazardous to your wallet
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Norton
United Kingdom
Macclesfield
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Woohoo! Good work, Kevin!

Spoiler Alert...
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Mage Knight will win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Hill
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Huzzah!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian C
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ReggieMcFly wrote:
Woohoo! Good work, Kevin!

Spoiler Alert...
Mage Knight will win.

Next year I predict a dethrone:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
Gloom of Kilforth reprint Kickstarter Sept 29-Oct 31
badge
Gloom of Kilforth reprint Kickstarter Sept 29-Oct 31
mbmbmbmbmb
kerskine wrote:
When we publish the list, I think I should point out that reading the list could be hazardous to your wallet

Doesn't seem like two minutes since the last one, but glad to see it come around again - great work Kevin!
Ooh, can I post my top 20 here??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty "approaching 5000" Malone
United States
Mansfield
Texas
flag msg tools
Knowledge is light
badge
Be the Change
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't wait. I think there may be a major upset this year. As an influx of awesome solo games are coming out and being discovered, I know what I want to play has changed dramatically.

Skipping, whistling and pen and paper in hand as I begin the process. There was also a way to type in your games and do a personal tournament thing to rank your games that way. Does anyone have that link???

Could be nice to add to the header as a way to rank option. Just saying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Erskine
United States
Alexandria
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Ooh, can I post my top 20 here??

No! We don't want anyone's vote influencing anyone else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CthulhuKid wrote:
I know my list is radically more informed this year.

You said it. I submitted my top 20 of 21 games I played last year. 3 of which I didn't really care about. And my #4 turning into on of my least favorite games. Oh how a year changes things. I know this year's top 20 will all be good to awesome games at least.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hebart-Coleman
Ivory Coast
Abidjan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome - I will send mine in earlier this year .....ahem .....actually send them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
maloma wrote:
There was also a way to type in your games and do a personal tournament thing to rank your games that way. Does anyone have that link???

I don't remember that tournament deal. But I used http://listmoz.com/ last year to organize the list. Worked well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Gannaway
United States
Salem
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just found out about and joined the 1pg a month or two ago. I have been playing games solo for quite a while now and was excited to find a guild of other people who do the same thing. When I saw that you voted on top solo games last year, I was really excited to be able to contribute this year.

I think I need to make a list of games I need to play solo in the next 4 to 5 weeks so my list can be well-informed. It is gonna be a tough job playing all of these games. Maybe I should take a break from my day job in order to get more plays in on my list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Malbon
United States
Santa Cruz
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wooot wooot!

Looking forward to this. Not sure if I voted last year, but now I got plenty of games to choose from.

Thanks Kevin for hosting this!
Awesome stuff!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
High Frontier PBF #17 - Failing spaceward!
badge
We must move forward, not backward, upward, not forward, and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom!
mbmbmbmbmb
Couldn't find my list from last year so I can't compare them directly, but the one thing that's certain is my #1 slot hasn't changed.

The number of people voting could easily double or more, and a lot of popular new games have come out over the past year or two, so it's going to be interesting to see how the results shake out this year.

Thanks Kevin!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Miller
United Kingdom
Newport
Gwent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome. Going to be fun seeing the results posted live this year rather than reading through it after the fact after finding both it and this guild this year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Rupar
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
My daughter's art
mbmbmbmbmb
Really looking forward to this. I have a feeling the 2015 list will be epic. Now I have to get to those unplayed solo games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boards
United States
Muncy
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
...the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a far green country under a swift sunrise.
mbmbmbmbmb
ohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboy

I'm a little excited for this. The slow reveal last year was. so. awesome. I was checking my subs constantly!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Erskine
United States
Alexandria
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
By the number of votes I've already received a lot of you seem to have been looking forward to this as much as I was
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence Burnett
Wales
Cardiff
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh I'm up for this. First time voter here. Pity I don't own number one yet though so I can't vote for it. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scribes
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
maloma wrote:
There was also a way to type in your games and do a personal tournament thing to rank your games that way. Does anyone have that link???

Could be nice to add to the header as a way to rank option. Just saying.

One has already been added; Gimli is another one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Erskine
United States
Alexandria
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder how long it will take to pass last years total of 86 votes. We're already well on our way.

We should have a poll on the final count.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hal Martin
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
Love my Oilers!
badge
I miss my boy :(
mbmbmbmbmb
I will be reserving my list until AFTER I have received Hoplomachus: Origins. I have a good feeling about this one...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Woelf wrote:
Couldn't find my list from last year so I can't compare them directly, but the one thing that's certain is my #1 slot hasn't changed.

Do what I did and search "top 20" in your geek mail

jiistme wrote:
I just found out about and joined the 1pg a month or two ago.

Aaron, looks like you could use a avatar. Go here: My very small geek gold offer
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [16] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.