First Minnesota Historical Wargame Society» Forums » General

Subject: Triumph and Tragedy Tournament rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Patrick Schifano

St. Paul
msg tools
mbmbmb
This has hit the table every Friday since Drew first punched it out. Lets get a tournament rolling.

Two Round Single Elimination Tournament

First round of three games will produce three winners who advance to finals.

Participants:
1. Patrick Schifano
2. Doug DeMoss
3. Herr Dokter
4. Puzzlemaster
5. 'Dark Horse' Steve
6. Logan
7. Steve 'V'
8. Rich 'Hears a Who' Horton
9. Craig

Alternates:
1. Alan Carlson
2. Gordon 'You Forgot Poland'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dockter
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Good idea. Let's do it....and reach out to GMT.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
sir_schwick wrote:
This has hit the table every Friday since Drew first punched it out. Lets get a tournament rolling.

Proposed guidelines:

Each Player will fit one of three results from a game.
Victory - Whoever wins, there can only be one.
Defeat - Everyone else but those Ruined.
Ruin - Lose two home Capitals/Subcapitals.

Sometimes it will be possible for multiple players to be Ruined or Defeated with no one Ruined.

We could try for every player playing each Faction once in a rough round robin. After that Rankings could create a smaller Round Robin series or championship bracket.

I'm in. What where you thinking for scoring?
V = 1.5
D = 0
R = -1

Probably will need a rough head count before the tournament structure can be determined. I'd guess about a dozen, but hopefully people can volunteer themselves in this thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dockter
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Picking sides...I was thinking maybe each player writes down secretly who they want to play. If more than one player wants a country, roll a die to determine. Would guess you'll end up most of the time with a 2-1 split. So, at least two players would get their preferred country...and the person that rolls poorly (50/50) would get stuck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
I think you should be required to play ever power. Just in case their is an advantage to one power. Until we have a rough headcount I am not sure if it is feasible, though

If we do have a dozen everyone could be required to play three games as the three different powers. The top players could then do a playoff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carter
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gee,
I have been hoping to get to a Friday event just to PLAY this thing, much less attempt a tourney...

My next appearance will be Oct 30, but I am committed to learning Breakout Normandy that night.

The tall Steve

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dockter
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you'd cut down on the willingness to participate if you had to sign up for three games (a requirement to play each side). Plus, you'll run into big scheduling issues then..."Joe hasn't played Germany yet...and he can't be here next week"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Albert
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Herr Dr wrote:
I think you'd cut down on the willingness to participate if you had to sign up for three games (a requirement to play each side). Plus, you'll run into big scheduling issues then..."Joe hasn't played Germany yet...and he can't be here next week"

Dr. is right here . . . for a close proximity point of reference, the Maria tourney wrapped up last night. Four games of CC stretched out over months. Schedule wrangling is tough. Getting 12 people in the same place at the same time on one night is near impossible. My suggestion would be to shoot for a nine-person tourney, three tables, winners play in the final. That way you only have to schedule nine and three. Totally doable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
Ok, I misunderstood. I was trying to stay in the spirit of Patrick's original post. Which seem to indicate a much longer tournament over several weeks.

If this is just a straight one night tournament, I can probably make it. Just let me know the night.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dockter
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Even if not a 1 night tourney - it won't be. But, minimize any hurdles to participation and scheduling nightmares.

2 games each. Advance 3 (if 9 or less) or 6 (if 12 or more). All 2-0s and then roll off (will be an event) among the best remaining records. Let people choose who they want to play (these are 3 to 4 hour games); it's highly likely at least 2 players each game will get their choice.

I think we could do the prelim's in two nights. Semi's (if more than 9) in one night. Finals in the one last night.

I'm with Jason: long tourneys kill interest. And , I like Jason's idea: FIRST NINE are in...snooze you lose. With 9, we only need two or three nights (if 2 prelim rounds - which, I think there should be).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Horton
United States
River Falls
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm.... I may just have to lose my T&T virgin status.

Luckily I'm very easy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Schifano

St. Paul
msg tools
mbmbmb
2 Round TnT Tournament

First round three tables of three players. Players each take a German, Soviet, and British unit block. Secret vote by putting desired side into hand and then simultaneous reveal. Ties resolved with dice. In the case of three-way tie two losers vote again. In case of tie, dice.

Championship round, players use faction they played with in first round. In case of duplicate factions, roll a dice and winner keeps their side. In case of all three players being same faction in first round, use the mechanic from the first round to resolve between the losers of the dice.

Looks like it would wrap up pretty quickly and would be easy to set up again. Want to set it for the Friday after GameHoleCon?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dockter
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like you got a tourney.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Logan Sullivan
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds good. I hope 9 spots is enough, cause I totally would get in on this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Viltoft
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For choosing sides, you might consider a bidding system.

If someone wants to play their choice, they can bid how many more victory points they would spot their adversaries, essentially giving them extra peace dividend chits.

Just a thought...

Steve V
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Albert
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sullysaurus wrote:
Sounds good. I hope 9 spots is enough, cause I totally would get in on this.

Demand is good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dockter
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Summon the death star: where do we sign up, Sir Patrick?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Schifano

St. Paul
msg tools
mbmbmb
I put up a list on the original post of the thread. I will try to look at the thread to determine who already called dibs, but reiterating will not hurt your cause.

Here is a thought for the championship;

The contenders will run a round-robin where they play each of the factions once.

Pros:
Test of skills and it will be interesting to see the meta-game grow.
Same three people arranging the matches.

Cons:
Takes longer.
Could end up with a three way tie on victories/loses/ruinous defeats.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dockter
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, count me in.

3 championship games? Too much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris nelson
United States
minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thus spoke the Puzzlemaster, he who has run numerous tournaments (although not in gaming).

Rule 1: Keep it short, if it takes too long it will not be
Rule 2: Determine the number of participants before finalizing the format

I recommend that you shoot for 9 players. Single elimination, 1 game to determine who is in the championship game and then the championship game. Maria had that and still took a long time to finish.

Never lose sight of the fact that nothing is really on the line, so we don't have to do double elimination, round robin, or anything else to make it fairer, mitigate luck, etc. Plus no one is an expert yet.

Determine the dates of the first round and championship game up front. The first round can be over a couple of weeks to accommodate schedules, but pick a date or two for the championship and stick to it. Determine beforehand what happens if someone can't make it: ie who gets called up.

Also, if you haven't run a tournament before, keep it simple on yourself to administer it. With more experience, you can get more creative.

My $.02
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dockter
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The Puzzlemaster is wise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon J
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Print and Play Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
chris nelson wrote:
Thus spoke the Puzzlemaster, he who has run numerous tournaments (although not in gaming).

Rule 1: Keep it short, if it takes too long it will not be
Rule 2: Determine the number of participants before finalizing the format

I recommend that you shoot for 9 players. Single elimination, 1 game to determine who is in the championship game and then the championship game. Maria had that and still took a long time to finish.

Never lose sight of the fact that nothing is really on the line, so we don't have to do double elimination, round robin, or anything else to make it fairer, mitigate luck, etc. Plus no one is an expert yet.

Determine the dates of the first round and championship game up front. The first round can be over a couple of weeks to accommodate schedules, but pick a date or two for the championship and stick to it. Determine beforehand what happens if someone can't make it: ie who gets called up.

Also, if you haven't run a tournament before, keep it simple on yourself to administer it. With more experience, you can get more creative.

My $.02

+1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Albert
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chris nelson wrote:
Never lose sight of the fact that nothing is really on the line,

If the GM is performing his due diligence, there will be something on the line. Not to mention the all-important 1st MN glory, which Gordo is currently hoarding.

Someone needs to rectify that situation, by the way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon J
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Print and Play Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb

I'd join the tournament, but I don't have anymore room on my shelf.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Albert
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
patton55 wrote:
I'd join the tournament, but I don't have anymore room on my shelf.

This is exactly the kind of shit-talk 1st MN should be fostering. It puts hair on your chest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [7] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.