Subject: RedJak's Automated Imperial Variant (RAIV) V1 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Reney
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am no longer updating this variant. Please see the thread at https://boardgamegeek.com/article/24912796

V1.0.6

- Status Phase: Added that having no cards in the Deployment Hand will trigger an attempt to reinforce.
- Fixed Assault Armor Event card to be a Global instead of an Instant.
- Added AI cards for Greedo and The Grand Inquisitor.
- Added Mission cards for the Grand Inquisitor, Greedo, and Obi-Wan Kenobi AVP packs.

----------------------------------------------------

Winner of the 1 Player Guild Gaming Awards: Best Solitaire Variant of 2015.

RedJak's Automated Imperial Variant (RAIV) is a solo/co-op variant for Imperial Assault campaigns.

Unlike RedJak's Automated Emperor Variant (RAEV), RAIV does not attempt to simulate an Imperial player. Instead, the focus is on giving the enemy forces a simple AI that governs how they will react to their surroundings. The function of an Imperial player is replaced by the use of Event cards, which harass the players with various effects throughout a mission. While RAEV has a lot of rules to attempt to cover all aspects of an Imperial player, RAIV strips away the fiddly bits for a more streamlined experience.

RAIV currently only has content to support the core game. Though the basic rules do apply for any expansion. Specific content for other expansions and ally/villain packs will be added in the future.

The 181 card set includes:

25 Event cards
17 Imperial Agenda cards
32 Imperial AI cards
86 Double-sided Mission cards
21 Rebel Aid cards

The rules and cards can be found on my Google Drive at:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzpR1-5sN2wAN3dlODV0TEdoMV...

For hi-res cards, user blakmagik13 has a V1.0.4 PrinterStudio project at:

http://www.printerstudio.com/products/pro_project_render.asp...

And a V1.0.5 update by user thetrout at:

http://www.printerstudio.com/products/pro_project_render.asp...

These links are current up to 06/19/16. DO NOT EDIT THE PROJECTS

Slidr666 has a German translation at:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/hpmc8xumvi7ma1o/AACGtt50B4pkcNL85...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Reney
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would just like to thank everyone in the community that assisted with beta-testing RAIV. Your help has created a solid V1.0 release.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Rayburn
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
First thank you Paul for all of your hard work and awesomeness!

How you prioritizing villain/ally pack add-ons?

Has anyone already put these on printerstudio.com?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
joe marty
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This looks awesome and I can't wait to try it out. This is perfect timing because I am just about ready to start a new campaign.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Taylor
Switzerland
Uster
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
revel911 wrote:

I'm going to try and set them up tonight on printerstudio. Uploading everything now.

If anyone gets there before me, just let me know

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Taylor
Switzerland
Uster
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just one small question about the Stormtrooper AI card.

the last action states R: E: if defeated, use Last Stand.

The Regular trooper does not have Last Stand.. does that mean I should do it anyway?

Thanks!

Si

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Reney
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
simondtaylor wrote:
Just one small question about the Stormtrooper AI card.

the last action states R: E: if defeated, use Last Stand.

The Regular trooper does not have Last Stand.. does that mean I should do it anyway?

Thanks!

Si

The red "E" means it is an Elite Stormtrooper ability only.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Reney
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
revel911 wrote:

I'm not really prioritizing them. It's all going to depend on my budget really. I'll focus first on the villain packs, since they'll need AI cards made.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Reney
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another user pointed out that I contradicted myself in the reinforcement rules:

"Reinforcement
If the Imperial AI has four or more deployment groups in play,
then it will attempt to reinforce one of those groups.

If no deployment groups can accept reinforcements, or there are
four or more deployment groups in play, skip to the Deployment
step."

That section should read:

"Reinforcement
If the Imperial AI has four or more deployment groups in play,
then it will attempt to reinforce one of those groups. Otherwise, skip to the Deployment step.

If no deployment groups can accept reinforcements, skip to the Deployment step."

I'll push up an update today.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Rayburn
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Which ones are you excited for then?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Reney
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
revel911 wrote:
Which ones are you excited for then?

None in particular. I have to have them all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Reney
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Update V1.0.1 is up.

Rewrote a portion of the Status Phase section. Made clearer when the Imperial AI chooses to reinforce and deploy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Tresman
United Kingdom
Christchurch
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
REPOSTED From ORIGINAL THREAD
I did not realise this thread had moved as I and obviously others do not reference the OP.

Finally had a chance to test this out , no hospitalied family members this weekend.

Really enjoying this and has increased the challenge and fun when playing Solo and I am sure co-op.

A few points :-

* Targets - Priority and then least health but what about choices between more than one , I went with least health and then random choice but I feel maybe it needs a bit more granualty

Suggestion Target Priority, within each Priority resolve equal choice in Target Priority :-

1st - Priority Target,

2nd - Least Health ,

3rd - Not yet Activated (see below)

4th - Random

Alternative for 3rd Priority

Droids, Troopers, Brawlers, Heavy Weapons and Creatures 3rd priority is Activated. Logic being attacking immediate perceived threat

Guardians ,Unique, Leaders and Elite 3rd priority is not yet activated. Logic beng experience reasseses the likely threat.

* What is a double surge (Under Surges)

*Reinforcement - If no Deploment Hand or exhaused , then you need a rule to reinforce existing Deployment groups even if less than 4. For example the Aftermath Mission only has 3 starting groups and no Deployment hand so its threat cannot be used to reinforce. or amybe this was the intention e.g. until the door is opened and more deploment cards placed , then no Reinforcement.

* Engage (when already Engaged and movement point left move to Max range/cover) Cover = LOS to Target but out of LOS of Target or another Enemy.

* In Status phase add as normal except as noted below.

* I was also thinking of a system similar to warfighter for Priority Target

Use numberered/coloured markers for each Hero say 5 each, mark the hero with one and place the remining ones in a cup.

When an Imperial Deployment group without a Hero marker ,first attacks draw a marker , this will be used to resolve choices between Priority Target and Least Health.

If the Hero ceases to be a Priority target remove the Heroes markers from deployment cards and when drawn discard and draw another.

When a Deployment Group Card is returned to the Deployment hand return the markers to the cup.

PS I find 4mm coloured disks are great for markers and easy to store.
Scenario: Do I have 4 or more squads? no, so it follows no reinforcements. If no groups can accept reinforcement go to deployment, my group can accept reinforcement! do I now reinforce or go to deployment?
The first sentence under deployment gives quite clear statements that one reinforces first so I guess that's correct.[/q]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Tresman
United Kingdom
Christchurch
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
REPOSTED FROM ORIGINAL THREAD

baredas wrote:
Came across the same as you with having to choose between two heroes being same distance away. I went for the one with least health but unwounded as you mention (has to be still unwounded though).

The two surges I believe are abilities that require two surges to activate, not just one. They are usually more powerful.

The reinforce thing I find a little confusing as well. Personally I'm uncertain if one always do reinforce first and then buy new deployment card. If you have 3 deployment cards and one needs reinforcement, does the Imperial AI reinforce that card or does the AI only reinforce whenever he has 4 or more deployment cards?! The first sentence under Status Phase gives the impression that reinforce is only if 4 or more groups are in play. But then below that it kind of states the opposite when it says "if no groups can accept reinforcements" go to deploy.
Scenario: Do I have 4 or more squads? no, so it follows no reinforcements. If no groups can accept reinforcement go to deployment, my group can accept reinforcement! do I now reinforce or go to deployment?
The first sentence under deployment gives quite clear statements that one reinforces first so I guess that's correct.

You can have 4 groups but none of them may have any losses hence they cannot be reinforced.

I played obeying the 4 or more rule , which builds up Threat and so new groups are placed.

Playing A new Campaign starting at Aftermath ,I found I was able to clear the enemies a few times but obviously they come back , 3 out of my four heroes were wounded and I managed to destroy all the terminals win Round 6 with one hero left to act.

This was a close game and less of a race and more narrative than previous non-Redjack influenced solo attempts.

So a huge Thumbs up thumbsupthumbsupthumbsup

For new to players to this system , that have not been following its evolution I would recommend a little section early on , for example

Changes To Standard Campaign Rules.

Campaign Setup (Page 10 Learn to play)

Ignore sections 3. Choose Imperial Class and 4. Build Agenda Deck *

Mission Setup (Page 10 Learn to play)

Ignore Section 3 Deployment and Setup *

Playing Campaign Missions (Page 11 Learn to Play)

Add a Step before Increase Threat - Draw Even Card *

Section 3 Deployment and Reinforce Now driven by AI *

Threat and Deployment Treat as general guide only.

Mission Events (Page 12 Learn to Play)

Use the new Mission cards and only the Camaign Sheets when directed to do so e.g. Aftermath Mission card - The First Time the Door Opens resolve the Fortified Event.

Ending A Mission (Page 12 Learn to Play)

Use the New Mission Cards for Conditions - after they are met refer to the mission sheet for the Story Text and Rewards (Ignore Imperial XP and Influence)

Follow the rules for the Campaign Structure Page 13 of the Learn to play
Guide but ignore section 3 Imperial Upgrade Stage , Spending Influence (page 14) and all references to Imperial influence.

* See new Rules below for these sections.

Then as per Version 0.7

The Imperial Class and Agenda decks are not used in RAIV. The
function of these cards is replaced by the RAIV Event deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Tresman
United Kingdom
Christchurch
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RedJak7 wrote:
Update V1.0.1 is up.

Rewrote a portion of the Status Phase section. Made clearer when the Imperial AI chooses to reinforce and deploy.

I never saw the thread move !! so I have been posting in the old one, I thought you had gone a bit quiet whistle

I think as the OP you can close the thread so no one can post - I have put the change of location on the last post cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Lockerbie
Australia
Perth
WA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all ya hard work Paul, this looks excellent, can't wait to try it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Reney
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Starman54 wrote:

I never saw the thread move !! so I have been posting in the old one, I thought you had gone a bit quiet whistle

I think as the OP you can close the thread so no one can post - I have put the change of location on the last post cool

Yeah, I meant to make a post stating as such. Thanks for doing that.

In response to your first (re-)post: The AI in RAIV is meant to be as simple as fast as possible. I do not want to bog down the rules with a list of steps for determining what the AI will do in every situation.

Take targeting, for example. Priority target or closest with least amount of remaining health. If there's a tie, choose one. I do not want to have multiple conditions for more detailed targeting, because that will slow down the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Tresman
United Kingdom
Christchurch
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RedJak7 wrote:
Starman54 wrote:

Yeah, I meant to make a post stating as such. Thanks for doing that.

In response to your first (re-)post: The AI in RAIV is meant to be as simple as fast as possible. I do not want to bog down the rules with a list of steps for determining what the AI will do in every situation.

Take targeting, for example. Priority target or closest with least amount of remaining health. If there's a tie, choose one. I do not want to have multiple conditions for more detailed targeting, because that will slow down the game.

Ok Understood but it really doesn't slow it too much and its mainly common sense or not in the case of the Brawlers , troopers etc. Maybe as an Option add Activated not Activated - this is quite a tactical option as targeting an already activated unit is not as powerful as one that has yet to act.

Your rules don't seem to have the choose if a tie option. I have lost count of the number of forums this has to be spelled out.

Sup Priorities.
Take aftermath if the terminals are protected by having an imperial unit adjacent , then this should be a sub Priority (added to the cards) e.g.
When engaging or withdrawing stay adjacent to a sub priority if possible.

This could include doors , exits etc.. Mainly from the Mission Special rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Reney
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Starman54 wrote:

I think as the OP you can close the thread so no one can post

Maybe I'm just being daft at the moment, but I can't find any way to close or lock the thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Tresman
United Kingdom
Christchurch
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RedJak7 wrote:
Starman54 wrote:

I think as the OP you can close the thread so no one can post

Maybe I'm just being daft at the moment, but I can't find any way to close or lock the thread.

I just checked one of my threads and cant see any controls either maybe its now moderator only. you can always email a forum Moderator.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R B
United States
Stevens Point
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mb
This is awesome Redjak! Thank you for doing this. My wife and I are excited to start it. One question and yes I am being lazy. Were any cards changed, added, or deleted for V1?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Reney
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yenam wrote:
This is awesome Redjak! Thank you for doing this. My wife and I are excited to start it. One question and yes I am being lazy. Were any cards changed, added, or deleted for V1?

No card changes for V1. There were also no rules changes, except for some minor edits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Tresman
United Kingdom
Christchurch
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RedJak7 wrote:
yenam wrote:

No card changes for V1. There were also no rules changes, except for some minor edits.

Unless you add target priority to the AI cards for defending secondary priorities and having a 2nd or third threat priority of non-activated/activated rebels. whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Garbett
United Kingdom
Walsall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This looks amazing and perfectly timed - I've just arranged to get this game in a trade.

Does anyone have a printerstudio link for the cards?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R B
United States
Stevens Point
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mb
Can someone explain Optional Deployment please? Is it just the deployment phase between rounds, or is it triggered by something I haven't come across yet?

Thank you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [14] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.