Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kirk Siemsen
United States
Scotts Valley
California
flag msg tools
mb
I'm like many of you who are from multi-generaton Rook players. So, of course, my rating may seem quite biased. I still remember the many, many games of Rook with my grandparents and parents, and now cousins and nephews and nieces. We candidly call it "Baptist Poker"--if you happen to be Baptist, you'll understand My father learned a variant from Wheaton College, way back when, where the Rook, although still worth 20 points if taken, is a 10 1/2: that is, it can take a 10 of trump, but an 11 of trump can take it! This makes it more exciting than the "official rules." We still haven't met people who play Rook this way, but it makes for an exciting, more strategic game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denee Tyler
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't ever played the bird card that way, but I have to admit that Rook is one of my favorite games, too, just because of the memories.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nerman
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems like a good variant to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Kalmbacher
United States
hershey
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We played with a similar variant, where the Rook card was a 7.5. I lost to an eight of trump but will beat a seven. It takes the power of the rook away but keeps the points, making it a more strategic play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Rice
United States
Perkasie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Its the only way we play. Makes for much better strategic play - it seems senseless to have the most valuable card also the highest card...one just calls the rook as one's partner every time in that scenario, but when it's 10.5 you don't need the rook to take the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.