Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Rae
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This was my first play with these expansions so I can't say I played these wonderfully, however the first game and the reverse both yielded comprehensive victories to the Terrah.

One of the strengths of the terrah deck was the storm cards. When playing with the storm support cards I was looking for an opportunity to use a second one to gain a dragon. When playing against them I tried very hard to wait until two were out of the way, up to that point I was making concessions. Another plus for the Terrah was the discard eigth earth for a victory. Matt used this to full effect to decide the victory. Still it need not have been that way. Three times he won ends with little cards against me to play a booster or retreat, a support or retreat. So the various strength elements as well as the unique abilities defeinitely had a dominance over the mimics.

The Mimic art stood out for obvious reasons and I was forced to focus front and centre, still the concept of the mimics was really cool and I would like to improve my play with the deck. Still all the double characters were so hard to put together, and even with the shamans that allowed you an increased chance it was still prohibitively difficult to get the pairs without a healthy dollup of luck. One of the terrah cards also prevented the use of any symbols so the pairs couldn't be countered there either. Still for all the lack of power thewy had v the terrah I like the theme if not the power of the deck.

We came out in a tie after the reverse match and I went home a happy man. Blue moon is just sooooo excessible, it's great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AxonDomini
United States
Smithtown
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, the Mimix are pretty good at throwing down high power, it's just question of deck management. This takes a few plays so you get to know the deck. Remember that some Mimix pairs are best NOT paired in most situations - Particularly the 6/1-1/6 Virgins and the 2/5-5/2 Spirits, and often the 4/2-2/4 Dancers. Use this cards singly to make room for better potential pairings. This tactic, combined with good use of Free characters, boosters and your Shamans should make it much easier to lay down some significant power. Pulsating Shockwave, the Hoax retrievable 2/1 support, also helps here, as do the Mimix's great leadership cards that let you retrieve cards from your combat area or discard pile.

With a bit more power I think you'll find that a lack of power is NOT an issue with the Mimix. Their big weakness is an inability to disrupt your opponent's play. I think the difficulty the Mimix faced in your games is that the Terrah are pretty easy to play even for a first timer - good power cards and pretty straightforward disruption cards (i.e. ones that work well in most situations and do no require combos to be highly effective). The Mimix, on the other hand, take some more careful hand management and practice. For these reasons, I usually play the Mimix and give my opponent the Terrah when I teach the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffk wrote:
Remember that some Mimix pairs are best NOT paired in most situations - Particularly the 6/1-1/6 Virgins and the 2/5-5/2 Spirits, and often the 4/2-2/4 Dancers.

Also don't forget with the preconstructed deck you don't have both Heroines - you don't have the 3/5, so no point waiting to pair the 5/3! I don't believe I've ever paired the Virgins, but the others are often best paired - just you lack the opportunity. What I mean is that if I had both Virgins in my hand, I'd play them separately (I might even retreat rather than pair them). If I had both Dancers I don't believe I'd often play them separately. The Spirits? It depends.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Doum
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dearlove wrote:
If I had both Dancers I don't believe I'd often play them separately. The Spirits? It depends.
How about the Guardians?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AxonDomini
United States
Smithtown
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dearlove wrote:
jeffk wrote:
Remember that some Mimix pairs are best NOT paired in most situations - Particularly the 6/1-1/6 Virgins and the 2/5-5/2 Spirits, and often the 4/2-2/4 Dancers.

Also don't forget with the preconstructed deck you don't have both Heroines - you don't have the 3/5, so no point waiting to pair the 5/3! I don't believe I've ever paired the Virgins, but the others are often best paired - just you lack the opportunity. What I mean is that if I had both Virgins in my hand, I'd play them separately (I might even retreat rather than pair them). If I had both Dancers I don't believe I'd often play them separately. The Spirits? It depends.

The Dancers and I can see as being more situational (I have about a 50/50 split when it comes to pairing-not pairing them), but the Spirits? It's rare I'm willing to give up a 5 character in one element just to boost my power by 2 in another. It happens, but more often than not I play them separately. Heck, I once even paired the Virgins to get a two dragon win and bring the game to a close faster.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffk wrote:
The Dancers and I can see as being more situational (I have about a 50/50 split when it comes to pairing-not pairing them), but the Spirits? It's rare I'm willing to give up a 5 character in one element just to boost my power by 2 in another.

The scale isn't linear. Preconstructed decks often find it relatively easy to get to 5 power, but a struggle to get to 7 power. In that case paired Spirits can be a fight winner, but an unpaired spirit is just carrying on. Of course if you have boosters, supports or FREE characters that might be a preferable way to get above 5 power. It all depends, but I put the Spirits definitely in the situational camp.

As for the Guardians, I think I might have paired them once, but I'm not certain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Doum
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I dislike breaking up the Dancers, because that is the best artwork combination, IMO. Not that the Combat Area is large enough to allow them to be displayed, mind you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Wraith
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan (MI)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oddly enough, Mimix is what I would commonly think of as a sledgehammer deck, like Vulca or Terrah. But I seem to be most successful with it by grinding it out, playing one single card after another that eventually drains some of the power cards out of the trick decks until you can pull off one of the smaller pairs that may only produce a 6 in a fight. Of course, I seem to routinely end up with the shamans buried on the bottom of the deck, so the prospect of actually using the Pair function is often fairly dim.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AxonDomini
United States
Smithtown
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dearlove wrote:
jeffk wrote:
The Dancers and I can see as being more situational (I have about a 50/50 split when it comes to pairing-not pairing them), but the Spirits? It's rare I'm willing to give up a 5 character in one element just to boost my power by 2 in another.

The scale isn't linear. Preconstructed decks often find it relatively easy to get to 5 power, but a struggle to get to 7 power. In that case paired Spirits can be a fight winner, but an unpaired spirit is just carrying on. Of course if you have boosters, supports or FREE characters that might be a preferable way to get above 5 power. It all depends, but I put the Spirits definitely in the situational camp.

I have a hard time imagining when I wouldn't prefer to use a booster or Free character to get to 7 power rather than the other Spirit. In most cases you're simply sacrificing less by using one of those rather than the matching Spirit character - and odds are you'll be able to do so since there's one booster and one FREE character that will do the job for either element, and one FREE that will get you to 6 in either element if you don't happen to need a 7. Using the Support is a bit more of a decision since the Mimix has only one Support that adds to your power, and it's a pretty good one.

Are there times I'll want to? Sure, if I want to get to 8 or 9 power, reach six cards in play, run down my draw deck, cycle my hand faster, or if I don't happen to have the proper booster, support of FREE character. Those are more about the game state than the Spirits themselves, however, and in those situations I may even pair the Virgins.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffk wrote:
I have a hard time imagining when I wouldn't prefer to use a booster or Free character to get to 7 power rather than the other Spirit.

Off the top of my head
- When I don't have the booster or FREE character. (I said "if".)
- When I want to save the booster or FREE character to put with something else in my next turn. I can increase a Spirit with a Spirit, but I can't increase anything else with a Spirit, but I can with a booster or FREE character.
- When this is going to be the last fight and it's not going to change element. What use is 5 in the other element?
I'm sure I could come up with others, but they might start getting obscure.

Quote:
Those are more about the game state than the Spirits themselves, however, and in those situations I may even pair the Virgins.

Everything is always about game state. I agree that there may be circumstances I'd pair the Virgins. It just so happens that to the best of my recollection I've not been in them. There are circumstances I'd pair the Spirits, and that has happened.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AxonDomini
United States
Smithtown
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dearlove wrote:
JeffK wrote:
Those are more about the game state than the Spirits themselves, however, and in those situations I may even pair the Virgins.

Everything is always about game state. I agree that there may be circumstances I'd pair the Virgins. It just so happens that to the best of my recollection I've not been in them. There are circumstances I'd pair the Spirits, and that has happened.

I do, naturally, pair the Spirits at times and more often than I've paired the Virgins (which was only once, I think). And, yes, everything is about the game state, but certain pair characters I am more likely to hold on to in an attempt to pair them across a wide variety of game situations and others I am less likely. The Amazons and Wilds I am very likely to try and pair while the Virgins I am not likely to do so. The Spirits fall under the "not too often, but sometimes" category. I am generally not bothered when I can't pair them. Not being able to pair the Amazons, however, is extremely annoying. If I were to rank "Pairing Desirability" in the base deck it would go something like:

Amazons
Wilds
Youngs
Dancers
Spirits
Virgins

Heroines, in a custom Mimix deck, would probably go between the Wilds and the Youngs (because, as you pointed out, the value of different power levels is not linear, and laying down an '8' power pair is quite potent). I have no idea where I would put the Guardians - 6/4 is a great character all by itself, but a 10/10 pair is just awesome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls