United States
Maple Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
Co-Owner of a video game development company
badge
I worked on Earthbound
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I know I'm a pretty big game geek, but this request may put me at the "keeper of the cheese" geek status...

I don't have much time to game, but really miss the chatter at the gaming table--the strategy talk, banter, etc. Does anyone ever do a podcast of a game session that I could listen to? Or (maybe even geekier) a D&D game session? I haven't played a D&D game in over 25 years, but have some fond memories. Just to clarify--I like to play games (if I get the chance), but am also happy watching games being played (also rare), and would be grateful to some intrepid soul who would do podcasts (or video casts!) of their game sessions, or point me to some kind caster that has done this in the past.

Sorry if I've posted this to the wrong place in the forums...

Thanks for any help you can give this hopeless geek.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Iacoucci
Canada
Burlington
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could try the "dead ale wives" - they have a few D&D posts online - very funny stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. B.
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Look, I'm not going to tell you how I found this, and YOU'RE not going to tell anyone you got it from me, right?

Come here...

Take the bag, kid:

www.actualplay.com

Now get the hell out of here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rik Van Horn
United States
Livonia
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Damn. I thought someone was going to want my old pocket protectors in trade. Ah, well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Iacoucci
Canada
Burlington
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bohemian wrote:
Look, I'm not going to tell you how I found this, and YOU'RE not going to tell anyone you got it from me, right?

Come here...

Take the bag, kid:

www.actualplay.com

Wow... um... that is really, really geeky...... surprise

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
Canada
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GeekSpeak put out a couple sessions of Werewolf. I listened to the first one, and it was cool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Fisk
United States
Spanish Fork
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It may be geeky, but what is worse is actually having considered CREATING such a podcast. It is one of the current voids I have noted among the boardgame podcasting communities. However trying to pull something like that off would be laborious and as I weighed my time in the end I felt it best not to even try.

What would be awesome is someone willing to take on this type of thing but do it by accepting peoples entries and compiling them. They way they don't have to play games once a week and the listeners get to hear a variety of different game groups.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Panek
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yogradio.com has done a complete Call of Cthulhu RPG campaign, and is starting another one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
badge
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
mbmbmbmbmb
bohemian wrote:

Come here...

Take the bag, kid:

www.actualplay.com

I bet Chance the Gardener would like that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Cole
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have alink to a jackpot for you. A podcast, in 40 sessions, of the "World's Largest Dungeon". While not my cup of tea,, a friend of mine has listened to all of it! He is a letter carrier for the post office and listens to it while he delivers mail for 3-4 hours a day. It is simply a recording of people playing D&D (or a reasonable facsimilie), and my friend says it is hard to distunguish the poscast from one of our gaming sessions. I haven't listened to it at all but here is the link:

http://www.idiotvox.com/Games/PodCast_Review_RPGMP3.com_Worl...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher DeFrisco
United States
Ashland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Ah, negative. I am a meat popsicle.
mbmbmbmbmb
This isn't a bad idea... If the caster had the license to edit the submissions and did a good job of it (i.e. 4 hr. TI3 down to 15min. of highlights).. I might just watch a few of those.

But...only if I were watching. I don't think I would actually waste time listening.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Stubner
United States
Englewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
I didn’t think it was physically possible, but this both sucks and blows -- Bart Simpson
mbmbmbmbmb
MarcusL....you, my friend, are crowned "Keeper of the Cheese"!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sylvus wrote:
It may be geeky, but what is worse is actually having considered CREATING such a podcast. It is one of the current voids I have noted among the boardgame podcasting communities. However trying to pull something like that off would be laborious and as I weighed my time in the end I felt it best not to even try.

What would be awesome is someone willing to take on this type of thing but do it by accepting peoples entries and compiling them. They way they don't have to play games once a week and the listeners get to hear a variety of different game groups.

I tried to get a session recorded, or rather tried to get someone to record it for me, but it never panned out. I agree that it's one of the missing pieces. When a BBC Radio reporter visited Beyond Monopoly! last year, she commented on how lively and noisy it was, with so much laughter. She was expected something more earnest, like a Chess club. No, don't start posting how your Chess club is a laugh-riot. That's not the point. SHE thought it would be quiet and it's not. That's why I agree that a session recording would have value.

Cheers,
Jon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Carvin
United States
Hamburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Join our Berks Boardgamers group (Hamburg, Pa) via Facebook!
badge
Ah, the diabolical Dice … a word of caution; don't throw them when you're alone. The fiends lack loyalty, and their notion of nourishment is quite disturbing.
mbmbmbmbmb
I happend upon this a while back but it a little (a lot) too geeky for my tastes. It may be right up your alley though. It's called the "World's Largest Dungeon" and it has hours upon hours of D&D audio, 72 files so far, all at least 60-90 minutes long. That outta do ya for awhile...enjoy!

http://odeo.com/channel/1964/view/4
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Fred
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Fez.
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played D&D in about 25 years, but I get my "fix" without playing by reading the excellent comic/magazine "Knights of the Dinner Table". You can find KODT at most comic shops. Check it out. Very fun stuff that hits close to home.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Lindblom
United States
Maple Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
I worked on Earthbound
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, thanks everyone...I figured the question might get me pelted with vegetables (at least in the literary sense), but I'm glad a few of you saw the lack in this particular area of podcasts.

Between the wife, kids and work, I get to listen to podcasts during a crap commute (on the road a couple hours a day usually), and I'd enjoy hearing how someone's game of Puerto Rico really played out. A different slant on the "session report" I guess.

Oh, and I humbly accept the crown, though I suppose I need to get it from an admin to be a legit "keeper."

Hopefully, someone with a lot more time than me would step up to try this...you know, it's not much different from the televising of Starcraft in Korea if you think about it.

Geek Out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
CHA was my dump stat
badge
Snob of the People
mbmbmbmbmb
FezAZ wrote:
I haven't played D&D in about 25 years, but I get my "fix" without playing by reading the excellent comic/magazine "Knights of the Dinner Table". You can find KODT at most comic shops. Check it out. Very fun stuff that hits close to home.

I was going to post exactly the same thing. Although it's a comic, it's entirely dialog driven, and it's a gem. You'll be sitting there chuckling, saying "too true, too true."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Lindblom
United States
Maple Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
I worked on Earthbound
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, I wholeheartedly agree about KoDT. I have issues 1-105...it's definitely a riot. I downloaded the live readings by the author of some of the strips...maybe that's where I got the itch to hear a live, real session.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Alban
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I second (or third) the suggestion of Knights of the Dinner Table as a way to scratch the away-from-RPGing itch

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Woodard
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.rpgmp3.com

They have several sessions archived for your listening pleasure.

Enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marion Jensen
United States
Taylorsville
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have taught Puerto Rico so many times, it's like I'm doing an Amway presentation. And I've always thought it would be fun to record my little presentation, and post it online. So that those who weren't sure how to play, could watch it. I know for many, who haven't learned a game since they were nine (and the game was monopoly, and they didn't actually read the rules, just had it explained to them), that a visual experience would be a good way to go. It would also help those trying to decide if they wanted to buy a game. They could get a good feel for how it played.

What would be really cool is a kind of 'you tube' feature. Trying to teach a bunch of games would take a lot of work for one or two people, but if even 5 percent of the geeks on the board uploaded 2 or three games, we'd suddenly have an incredible library.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Alban
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Marion, you've got a great idea there - I find that a lack of desire to read the rules is the biggest obstacle to getting a new game on the table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Lopez
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
Get off my lawn!
badge
The explanation: Impossible Triangle + TW (my company initials) = my logo.
mbmbmbmbmb
Moosehead wrote:
I have alink to a jackpot for you. A podcast, in 40 sessions, of the "World's Largest Dungeon". While not my cup of tea,, a friend of mine has listened to all of it! He is a letter carrier for the post office and listens to it while he delivers mail for 3-4 hours a day. It is simply a recording of people playing D&D (or a reasonable facsimilie), and my friend says it is hard to distunguish the poscast from one of our gaming sessions. I haven't listened to it at all but here is the link:

http://www.idiotvox.com/Games/PodCast_Review_RPGMP3.com_Worl...

I have a copy of that dungeon, so listening to this is really, really amusing... and GEEKY. Thanks a *lot* for causing me to descend even *further* into geekiness.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scotty Dickey
United States
Brandon
Mississippi
flag msg tools
Who put old pigweed In the mulligan stew?
badge
Trusted Friend
mbmbmbmbmb
This isn't exactly what you're asking for. Paul Tevis, of Have Games Will Travel, occasionally reports on role-playing sessions in his podcasts. Episode #78 was a wrap-up show for a game of Burning Wheel that he had been running for a year and a half. It wasn't recorded during the actual play of the game. It is an after action report with the players involved. I get to continue enjoying RPGs vicariously through his podcasts, though I haven't played any RPG myself in years.

http://www.havegameswilltravel.net

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Van Verth
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The Durham 3 also does something like this, but without the actual RPG session. They get together before playing and chat about stuff, then the second half of their show is recorded after the session and they talk about it.

http://rpgtalk.net/durham3/weblog/

I have a recording of a really drunken Bang! session, but I'm not sure what to do with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.