United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey there, everyone.

Episode #21 of The Spiel is now available.

Download directly at http://www.thespiel.net or via RSS or iTunes.

Lou Ferrigno, eat your heart out! It doesn't take gamma rays to make us see green, just two sets of horribly organized rules. We play Shear Panic and Marvel Heroes. One's a keeper, the other's a dud.

* News & Notes: Talisman (Revised 4th Edition), To Court the King

* The List: Shear Panic, Marvel Heroes

* Backshelf Spotlight: Phoenix, Dragonmaster

* Truckloads of Goober: Dread Pirate

* Game Sommelier: five games for a high school classroom that are educational without being "educational" (read: lame).

* Mail Bag: a BattleLore correction, and some great game book suggestions.

Our new web site is almost ready for prime time. Your can check out the preview at http://www.thespiel.net/drupal Feel free to leave us comments or post to the forums or email me at stephen@thespiel.net

Thanks for listening!

Stephen
co-host & creator of The Spiel
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
admin
Convention Committee
badge
BGG.CON! BGG.CON SPRING! BGG@SEA!
mbmbmbmbmb
Knowing nothing about podcasting...could you guys put up the mp3 feed on iTunes, rather than just the m4a files?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Vrabel
United Kingdom
Cambridge
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Good show, nice to have a 'list' game that wasn't positively reviewed. To much positvity get's me down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian
Australia
North Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
keep up the excellent work fellas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Conway
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, Jon.

I'll look into adding an mp3 feed to iTunes.

Just in case you didn't notice, we do offer four ways to subscribe to the mp3 version. You can subscribe through:

odeo: http://odeo.com/channel/136094/view

podcast pickle: http://www.podcastpickle.com/casts/18305

podnova:http://www.podnova.com/add.srf?url=http://www.thespiel.net/spiel-mp3.xml

or plain 'ol RSS: http://thespiel.net/spiel-mp3.xml

Thanks for listening!

Stephen

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Conway
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Peter.

Yeah, we haven't had very many chances to get cranky with The List. Hopefully it doesn't happen too often, though, since that means we're playing more duds than keepers. We'll try not to get you down too much. heh.

Stephen

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Conway
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Jeremy!

We're just glad to be one among many great game podcasts. The show has really grown alot in less than a year and we feel like we're just starting to hit full stride.

I think Shear Panic is far from a dud, despite the horridly organized rules and crappy iconography. We actually had alot of fun with it. Each turn you have to make tough decisions and there's a really nice balance of strategy and randomness. What's didn't you like about it? Feel free to reply here or post a comment or topic on our new site: http://www.thespiel.net/drupal

Stephen

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doobermite
United States
Chester County
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
The Spiel is easily the best gaming podcast out there right now.

I agree!!!

This is without a doubt the best board gaming podcast out there. These guys know their stuff and their segments are full of discussion and depth.

You won't find endless ads and cheap promotion here....

....just great game talk period!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Conway
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Adrian.

I was up almost all night riding a wave of euphoria from the Colts victory, but I still managed to get the new episode out on time. Whew!

Stephen

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Conway
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the vote of confidence, Doobermite!

I know our show tends to run a little longer than others, but our production schedule will only allow us to record on a bi-weekly basis right now. We'd rather err on the side of giving you a little more quality conversation in each show, since they come a little less often than others.

Stephen

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Woodard
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They BETTER do something special with this new Talisman... The old one is dated, repetitious and runs way too long for what it is. I grew up with the original game and I used to play it a LOT in high school and college. Today, I wouldn't touch it with a ten-foot pole!

As for your review of Marvel Heroes, I found myself shaking my head in confusion at many of your comments. This game really isn't all that complicated (and you succeed in making it sound that way) and I'm stunned that it took you an HOUR to resolve Missions. You simply MUST have been doing something wrong. Admittedly, our first multi-player game was close to 4 hours and that involved teaching the game, but afterwards, I realized that we missed a rule that would've sped the game up even more!

I honestly expect future games to run no longer than 2-3 hours tops.

I love this game and my best friend (who actually works for Marvel) really digs it, as well!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Conway
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Scott.

I'm still a fan of classic Talisman (warts and all), but I'm with you in hoping they add some new mechanics to make the new edition less a roll-and-move game.

As for Marvel Heroes, I think our consensus was that the game is needlessly complicated and the rules are very poorly structured. It is possible we did something wrong, but Dave, my co-host, had read through the rules several times before introducing the game to us and we spent a good hour reviewing the rules together before starting. There are so many fiddly aspects to each phase and round for each character and villian that by the time you get to the actual heart of the game (solving missions), you spend ALOT more time fiddling than playing. To me, that's not fun.

As with any review or opinion, your mileage may vary, but I think the game has more liabilities than assets.

Spiel on!

Stephen

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Conway
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, Jeremy.

Beleive me, we understand about The List! Every time we start to get it down below 100, one of us goes on a binge and the list explodes! Not really a bad problem to have, I guess...

We actually thought Shear Panic had more strategy than we expected going in. We liked the fact that each action can be taken a limited number of times and the different scoring rounds make you look ahead to see where you need your sheep to be. It's no Gipf Project, for sure, but we thought it had more depth than the theme would lead you to expect.

Thanks for the Colt Super Bowl wishes. I was actually lucky enough to be AT the AFC Championship game. Woo! Such a great game. So many ups and downs, so many wacky plays, and of course, how great to see Manning lead the game winning drive with 2 minutes to go. Our season tickets are nine rows from the field. It was pandemonium in the dome. Lucky I don't need to talk for a while since I have no voice at all!

Thanks again for your kind words.

Spiel on,

Stephen

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.