Santa Cruz
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
reverendunclebastard wrote:
Donutz McGoo wrote:

Amazing work Rev. This is the only game that has made me want to get it just so I could paint the minis. They just look so fun. Was it a KS?

It was originally, but I just discovered it recently. You can purchase it from the publisher TTCombat.

The minis are great sculpts with lots of detail, and the poses are amazing! I am having a ton of fun just playing both sides.

I like TTCombat. Got some great resin scenery. Old couches, Japanese lanterns, fun stuff... They made a mistake in one order I had, but when I sent them the pic of the missing piece, they sent me it quick. Great company!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Jeff welcome! Did you know there’s a solo mini games on you’re table geeklist too?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristin .
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
typo360 wrote:
Hey Jeff welcome! Did you know there’s a solo mini games on you’re table geeklist too?

I think he posted there as well.

Welcome, Jeff!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Winning
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Darth Vader is my first attempt at OSL. It was moderately successful. There were a lot of challenges on this figure since he’s basically just all black. I had to gradually lighten my shading to try and simulate light reflecting on various parts of his armor. I’m pretty pleased with how he turned out overall. Now to focus on all the “good guys”.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I definitely see the saber glow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yan Bertrand
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Donutz McGoo wrote:
Darth Vader is my first attempt at OSL. It was moderately successful. There were a lot of challenges on this figure since he’s basically just all black. I had to gradually lighten my shading to try and simulate light reflecting on various parts of his armor. I’m pretty pleased with how he turned out overall. Now to focus on all the “good guys”. Are the Jedi really good? What if the Empire is really doing a lot of good around the galaxy? Creating jobs with infrastructure programs, promoting order, keeping trade routes safe from rascals and smugglers.... It’s something to think about. Some might even call the Rebels “terrorists”. Food for thought.

I would varnish in matte the cape, so that real light reflections do not interfere with your work. It should help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Winning
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Herman92 wrote:
Donutz McGoo wrote:
Darth Vader is my first attempt at OSL. It was moderately successful. There were a lot of challenges on this figure since he’s basically just all black. I had to gradually lighten my shading to try and simulate light reflecting on various parts of his armor. I’m pretty pleased with how he turned out overall. Now to focus on all the “good guys”. Are the Jedi really good? What if the Empire is really doing a lot of good around the galaxy? Creating jobs with infrastructure programs, promoting order, keeping trade routes safe from rascals and smugglers.... It’s something to think about. Some might even call the Rebels “terrorists”. Food for thought.

I would varnish in matte the cape, so that real light reflections do not interfere with your work. It should help.

The whole thing was finished with Testor’s Dullcoate (which I believe is matte?). I added gloss to the helmet, upper chest, lightsaber, and boots. I did highlight the cape before adding the red glaze so I’m wondering if that’s what you’re seeing, or maybe the dullcoate just didn’t come through enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael W.
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like it though maybe a little too much "grey" on the left arm...

ArrOOoo!

"Painting makes perfect" - said by someone...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yan Bertrand
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Donutz McGoo wrote:
The whole thing was finished with Testor’s Dullcoate (which I believe is matte?). I added gloss to the helmet, upper chest, lightsaber, and boots. I did highlight the cape before adding the red glaze so I’m wondering if that’s what you’re seeing, or maybe the dullcoate just didn’t come through enough.
Oh! (Yes, dullcoat is definitely matte. )
In that case, contradict your strong highlights from the vertical light with more from the saber, then re-apply the red glaze and it should further sell the effect ? Actually, I would also use a more varied red - more saturated when facing the saber (since the saber is very bright red).

(In other words, give more impact to the light of the saber, as if it was more of a primary light source.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Jasper
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I finished the bandits from Shadows of Brimstone: Frontier Town Expansion yesterday.

As for whether or not the Empire is beneficent, I think that question is answered by their willingness to destroy a planet with the Deathstar. Their industrialization of beings in the form of the stormtroopers and that rally image is a direct copy of the Nazi’s Nuremberg rally. So the ability to make the trains run on time is rather overshadowed by the willingness to engage in genocide. At least for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Winning
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh they’re clearly horrendous. Just some late night sarcasm. Didn’t mean for anyone to take it seriously.

I really like the coats. What did you shade them with?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Jasper
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Donutz McGoo wrote:
Oh they’re clearly horrendous. Just some late night sarcasm. Didn’t mean for anyone to take it seriously.

Hmmm, we don’t really have a snark emo, do we? That would have helped. It’s often hard to see sarcasm in plain text. We clearly need a snark emo...I could often use it.

On the dusters, I used a glaze made with Reaper’s Woodland Brown, 1 part paint to 4 matte medium.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Speaking of light sabers and such. Has anyone seen the new conductive paint at green stuff world? Litterally the paint has silver flecks so they're painting from the battery to the led instead of running wires that you have to hide. It looks amazing. They did a luke skywalker but also a mech with a light on it's chest. They paint was painted down to the feet, but than the mech wasn't even attached to the base. So you can technically drop a different mini on the base and long as you placed them on the painted contact points it would like up.

BANANAS! (i'm not affiliated with them and have not used any of their products)

http://www.greenstuffworld.com/creative/en/projects/642/#Luk...

EDIT for typos. At least two obvious ones. If you have instagram it's always fun to see what stuff they're coming up with. That's where I saw the mech.

EDIT EDIT two more typos. hah. I had to fly to phoenix for 48 hours this week. My brain is still in a fog.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave B
United States
Tigard
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ha! That's way above my pay paint grade! laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Jasper
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whoa! That’s amazing!
And pr’ly more bling than I care to get into (you never know, tho’), but it’s good to know about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fortheloveofdice
Canada
Toronto
ON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have used a pen with conductive ink to fix damaged leads on a keyboard, so I can totally see that working! I never would have thought to try it on a mini though.

Failure of the imagination and all that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Winning
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DonkeyJay wrote:
Donutz McGoo wrote:

Hmmm, we don’t really have a snark emo, do we? That would have helped. It’s often hard to see sarcasm in plain text. We clearly need a snark emo...I could often use it.

On the dusters, I used a glaze made with Reaper’s Woodland Brown, 1 part paint to 4 matte medium.

If there was a snark emoji I would wear that sucker out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Jasper
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Donutz McGoo wrote:
DonkeyJay wrote:
Donutz McGoo wrote:

Maybe an snark microbadge? Like Jessica’s ambi-thumb. I also need a smh emo. All the changes they’ve made, and still the same tired, limited emos. *rolling eyes*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Winning
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DonkeyJay wrote:
Donutz McGoo wrote:
DonkeyJay wrote:
Donutz McGoo wrote:

Maybe an snark microbadge? Like Jessica’s ambi-thumb. I also need a smh emo. All the changes they’ve made, and still the same tired, limited emos. *rolling eyes*

That’s a great idea isn’t there a thread where you can request micro badges?

And back to the miniature topic, has anyone had experience using Citadel Blood from the Blood God? I got a pot that I’d like to play around with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave B
United States
Tigard
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
like this? shake

I haven't looked into the Citadel Blood stuff - don't have much need for it on the minis I tend to do. Not even my monsters.

After the Simple Green bath I finally tried painting some gesso on one of the ratmen. This time it didn't bead up at all. I was a little concerned because they came out of the bath kind of shiny, but it seems good. But my plan still is to finish some other minis first (some of the Reaper metal minis I used super glue and baking soda on). Slow going, maybe I'm trying to do too many at once.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristin .
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
typo360 wrote:
Speaking of light sabers and such. Has anyone seen the new conductive paint at green stuff world? Litterally the paint has silver flecks so they're painting from the battery to the led instead of running wires that you have to hide. It looks amazing. They did a luke skywalker but also a mech with a light on it's chest. They paint was painted down to the feet, but than the mech wasn't even attached to the base. So you can technically drop a different mini on the base and long as you placed them on the painted contact points it would like up.

BANANAS! (i'm not affiliated with them and have not used any of their products)

http://www.greenstuffworld.com/creative/en/projects/642/#Luk...

EDIT for typos. At least two obvious ones. If you have instagram it's always fun to see what stuff they're coming up with. That's where I saw the mech.

EDIT EDIT two more typos. hah. I had to fly to phoenix for 48 hours this week. My brain is still in a fog.

Already on order, along with the LEDs. I have two core game copies of Legion (cheapest way to get extra troops/enough points for both sides), meaning two copies each of Vader and Luke. TOTALLY lighting up the sabers for one copy of each. Since I was ordering anyway, I got some of that toxic water effect stuff Angie recommended, to use for my FoWW barrels.

Too bad in my experience orders from Green Stuff World to the US take about 1-2 months to arrive...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristin .
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Donutz McGoo wrote:
DonkeyJay wrote:
Donutz McGoo wrote:
DonkeyJay wrote:
Donutz McGoo wrote:

That’s a great idea isn’t there a thread where you can request micro badges?

And back to the miniature topic, has anyone had experience using Citadel Blood from the Blood God? I got a pot that I’d like to play around with.

The problem is that part of the point with those effect paints is their glossy finish. If you varnish your minis matte (or even satin), it takes the gloss off and you have to add it back with gloss varnish. So I figure, why not just paint with normal red paint, and then gloss varnish selectively that part at the end...

(There may be some element with behavior of the paint/consistency that I'm missing here, though.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kush7 wrote:

Already on order, along with the LEDs. I have two core game copies of Legion (cheapest way to get extra troops/enough points for both sides), meaning two copies each of Vader and Luke. TOTALLY lighting up the sabers for one copy of each. Since I was ordering anyway, I got some of that toxic water effect stuff Angie recommended, to use for my FoWW barrels.

Too bad in my experience orders from Green Stuff World to the US take about 1-2 months to arrive...

Nice! I cant wait to see how they look.

They have some other really cool looking special effects paints I would love to try but just never got around to it. My friend has some of their rollers.

I've been tempted to get their portable all in one spray gun just for priming. Of their stuff is often in the "one day" club.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Burnsville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Lorenthia is gone, The Shadow Deep has swallowed it whole.
badge
I'm a goddam killing machine!
mbmbmbmbmb
DonkeyJay wrote:
I wonder if it’s the same one Chris got, which I believe broke on him fairly quickly.

The pic you got is nice, tho’. Really shows that nice figure off well.

I was going to mention this. The cheap ones are really flimsy where you plug it in. Careful not to move it when you have the plug in or it'll pop right off. I'm considering a more moderate light box with something better than an LED strip. Still though YMMV.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Burnsville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Lorenthia is gone, The Shadow Deep has swallowed it whole.
badge
I'm a goddam killing machine!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had some issues lately getting to the painting table. Had a minor breakdown and experiencing some life changes. I've been coping with videogames as an external distraction for now, and I'm hoping to get back to the painting table soon. Sorry I haven't been here to gush over all ya'lls fantastic work lately.

Got a few (unpaid) commissions from friends coming up so I'm hoping that will help my motivation some. Only like 8 minis but hoping the pressure to get them done for other people will help motivate me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  275 , 276 , 277 , 278 , 279  Next »  [283] |