Dave B
United States
Tigard
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Best wishes, Chris!

I think almost every mini painter I ever heard from goes through slumps. Having something to paint for other people sounds like a good motivator. I know I would want to get it done for them.

Sometimes what it takes for me is to find some minis I really want to see painted. For some people it's a specific goal, such as minis for a specific game and/or scenario.

One thing that has me motivated right now is to get some finished so I can work on some kickstarter minins (like the little ratmen), with more kickstarter minis set to ship some time soon and which I will probably want to get painted soon.

What do others do to motivate themselves when they're in a painting slump? Or do you just roll with it and do other things you also enjoy doing doing, such as playing actual games?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
i feel like we're playing tug of war...
badge
...and i'm the rope.
mbmbmb
ogoctopus wrote:
I've had some issues lately getting to the painting table. Had a minor breakdown and experiencing some life changes. I've been coping with videogames as an external distraction for now, and I'm hoping to get back to the painting table soon.

Boy, does this sound familiar...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bert Peinlich
Germany
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey nice thread! I already knew Solitaire Games on Your Table and Solitaire Miniatures on Your Table, but it's nice to have the focus on painted minis here.

At the moment I'm painting the miniatures for Dungeon Saga: Dwarf King's Quest. (Solo mode comes with Dungeon Saga: The Adventurer's Companion.

I always wanted to capture a step-by-step picture, as I really like the huge difference between unwashed and washed miniatures:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We talked about slo-dri a few weeks ago. I’m using it this morning since I don’t want to deal with a wet pallet for some quick jobs. It really is pretty cool and I notice a big difference. Especially since I use as little paint as possible on the pallet.

Working on some half dead goblins.

And welcome back Chris! I was thinking about how I haven’t seen you around in a bit. Good to see you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristin .
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry to hear abut your recent difficulties, Chris. You're in my thoughts - hope things get better for you soon! Remember, this is supposed to be fun, if painting isn't fun for you right now, don't push yourself to do it until you want to.

With regard to painting, slump actually seems to be my natural state - I will have a few days or a week of super productive painting time, then take a break for several weeks. However, in between, I tend to try to either assemble minis (Games Workshop ones that need building), or scrape mold lines, so I'm still making forward progress. I actually kind of enjoy the building and cleaning up part of the process as long as I approach it as part of the craft/hobby, rather than an obstacle. Don't get me wrong, I'm as frustrated as anyone by mold lines and slipped molds, but when I'm doing it as a primary task, I can get into the zone with it, and it can be almost like simplistic sculpting. I was doing this this week - I got the mold lines all scraped for the Purge from Core Space. It was NOT easy - pretty bad mold lines, slipped mold in places, skinny robots. But I took my time, and enjoyed it for what it was, and was in no rush. They're washed and ready for priming now, and I started scraping the Black Maria crew next. Last night I was in the mood to play with sprue and glue, so I started to put together the Chimera from Warcry. I can put down or pick up building and scraping more easily than starting and stopping painting.

That being said, I do need to start building the habit of painting in short bits more - I think I'd get more done. Those Iron Golems are still waiting...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristin .
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
typo360 wrote:
We talked about slo-dri a few weeks ago. I’m using it this morning since I don’t want to deal with a wet pallet for some quick jobs. It really is pretty cool and I notice a big difference. Especially since I use as little paint as possible on the pallet.

Working on some half dead goblins.

And welcome back Chris! I was thinking about how I haven’t seen you around in a bit. Good to see you.

Slo-dri really made a drastic difference for me. It gives me a lot more control. Glad it has worked for you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Burnsville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Lorenthia is gone, The Shadow Deep has swallowed it whole.
badge
"Like a monkey, ready to be shot into space. Space monkey! Ready to sacrifice himself for the greater good. Without pain, without sacrifice, we would have nothing!" -Tyler Durden
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the thing that gets me out of a painting funk is finding a way to get excited about one of my unfinished projects again. As to how I do that, I think it is more knee jerk than anything. Just a little switch flips and I'm back in it.

I think it helps if I try worry less about being in a funk and just try to enjoy my money and time doing other things. Not that it's always easy. Lately it's been spending on eating out with the wife, and playing video-games with friends.

I used to worry more that I'd never return to painting when I'm less productive, but in the last year it's been my most consistent hobby activity. I know I'll be back in good time. Sometimes that's good enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Gewecke
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've painted one of the scientist for Zombicide: Dark Side.

This isn't the most detailed model, but it looks alright.

Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamel Rha
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:

What have you done to meeeeeee?

I have Fallout: Wasteland Warfare but I will practice on the included Reaper minis. Anyway, I still have all of the Fallout minis to assemble.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Winning
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jamelrha wrote:

I have Fallout: Wasteland Warfare but I will practice on the included Reaper minis. Anyway, I still have all of the Fallout minis to assemble.

One of us. One of us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Conrad
United States
Indiana
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Donutz McGoo wrote:
Jamelrha wrote:

One of us. One of us.

That is how I got started too! A mice and mystic painting party later, I look for my next game to paint.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Jasper
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another Bob the Orc to look forward to! Yay!
Welcome, Jamel! That’s how I got my start, too. Almost 2 years ago!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I still use those paints from that kit. That dirty bone is one of my favorites. Going on 2.5 years. Great value. Can’t wait to see those minis!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave B
United States
Tigard
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Jamelrha wrote:

Welcome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristin .
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Donutz McGoo wrote:
Jamelrha wrote:

One of us. One of us.

YEESSSSSSS....... ONE OF US! ONE OF US!

devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trogdor The Burninator
Canada
Ladysmith
B.C.
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Zombicide, Dark Side: looks good Sean! To make the details really pop, give the mini a dark wash, like Nuln Oil.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Jasper
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know it’s been mentioned before, but it’s been a while. Does anyone know anything about paint pens? I was admiring a patterned cloak on a mini online last night, and remembered about paint pens. I think I might like to try them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Winning
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I’ve never used paint pens but I do have some super fine point pens that I use for detail work like pupils. I’d love to find out about some good paint pens though. I’d like to use them to color the sides of tokens in some of my games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Malbon
United States
Santa Cruz
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DonkeyJay wrote:
I know it’s been mentioned before, but it’s been a while. Does anyone know anything about paint pens? I was admiring a patterned cloak on a mini online last night, and remembered about paint pens. I think I might like to try them.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001VB4T86/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b...

I use Extra Fine Posca paint pens for drawing shields and some other fine lining, like plaid. I wish they came even smaller, but these work cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
***must resist temptation for paint pens***

This weekend I did pick up some clay and sculpting tools to practice one to venture into sculpting bits out of milliput and greenstuff for minis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sixthecat wrote:
DonkeyJay wrote:

I use Extra Fine Posca paint pens for drawing shields and some other fine lining, like plaid. I wish they came even smaller, but these work cool.

Josh,

You may have answered this before...I have no ability to paint, but could one simply "paint" with a paint pen?

Cheers,
Joe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Malbon
United States
Santa Cruz
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Professor wrote:
sixthecat wrote:
DonkeyJay wrote:

Josh,

You may have answered this before...I have no ability to paint, but could one simply "paint" with a paint pen?

Cheers,
Joe

Joe, it would look pretty rough. Some cases trying to get the pens into tight spaces can be problematic. They're more for touching up highlights and details.

You could do some rudimentary work, but getting full coverage would be challenging.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristin .
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sixthecat wrote:
DonkeyJay wrote:

I don't know whether to say "bless you" or "curse you"! Bless you, because I have some really detailed work to do on some cloak edges on my Cypher Lords and this is just what I need (don't know why I didn't think of it), but Curse you because, well, I probably shouldn't be getting any more paint supplies...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Malbon
United States
Santa Cruz
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kush7 wrote:
sixthecat wrote:
DonkeyJay wrote:

I don't know whether to say "bless you" or "curse you"! Bless you, because I have some really detailed work to do on some cloak edges on my Cypher Lords and this is just what I need (don't know why I didn't think of it), but Curse you because, well, I probably shouldn't be getting any more paint supplies...

Happy to help keep the paint industry in business. heh heh

I've done many cloak edges with these. They give some good control. I bought my Posca pens some 3 years ago, and they're still all fresh. Keep them horizontal, not up or down to preserve them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Donutz McGoo wrote:
I’ve never used paint pens but I do have some super fine point pens that I use for detail work like pupils. I’d love to find out about some good paint pens though. I’d like to use them to color the sides of tokens in some of my games.

Without wanting to go top off topic, I’ll note that a friend paints the edges of tokens and tiles. They look really great, and it helps seal them. I use a PVA glue pen to seal edges of some of my punched bits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  276 , 277 , 278 , 279 , 280  Next »  [281] |