Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jay Jasper
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Donutz McGoo wrote:
I’ve never used paint pens but I do have some super fine point pens that I use for detail work like pupils. I’d love to find out about some good paint pens though. I’d like to use them to color the sides of tokens in some of my games.

The advantage of paint pens over colored markers like Sharpies is that they are opaqued, so work better over color, whereas a regular marker is more translucent, and will be strongly influenced by the background color. A paint pen will allow you to put a yellow filigree on a red background, while a yellow marker will not really show up much.

I found some Posca metallic pen...oooh boy, things are gonna get fancy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave B
United States
Tigard
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
(OK, now you all have me thinking about paint pens laugh )

I finished a batch of Reaper elves. These are all over the place in sculpting style. Big heads, little heads, taller, shorter, different body proportions. In the end I like some better than others and will probably not keep all of them. Also, I think using flesh wash over everything may have been a mistake, but I am not thrilled about going back over everything. It was a lot of figures to paint at one time as it was.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice elves! What did you use for the grass?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave B
United States
Tigard
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
typo360 wrote:
Nice elves! What did you use for the grass?

Thanks!
Woodland Scenics static grass (mixed from 3 different shades of green from the huge containers I bought years ago).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Jasper
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I wish Reaper was a bit more consistent in their sizing. They really are all over the place in that regard.

I like how you bring them all together with the color scheme. Individually they look great, but together they really look like a band from the same forest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave B
United States
Tigard
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
DonkeyJay wrote:
Yeah, I wish Reaper was a bit more consistent in their sizing. They really are all over the place in that regard.

I like how you bring them all together with the color scheme. Individually they look great, but together they really look like a band from the same forest.

Hazards of having a bunch of different sculptors wit their own distinctive styles, I guess. And no one enforcing a similar look/proportions? (For me some variation is fine. People come in different sizes. But maybe not such different proportions?)

I guess that is one advantage of painting them all at once.

Now I'm trying to get back to the little ratmen, but still finding they seem a bit resistant to paint/gesso. shake (I REALLY wish they had been cast in metal! Resin is awful.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Jasper
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bad news on the ratmen, guess I’ll just drop them to the bottom of the pile. Maybe someday if I run out of projects I’ll paint them.

My Midlam KS minis just showed up...if these are elves, they’re very short elves. But otherwise they’re quite nice...in metal, with nice detail. My grumble with Midlam is they don’t label their bags with what’s in them. It’s just Midlam minis, and nada mas. The only way I know (besides going to the KS page) is the card included. Two bags, one card. *sigh* Oh well, as soon as I’m dead (not eminent), and pr’ly before, no one will give a toot, they’ll just wonder what the heck they’re supposed to do with them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Malbon
United States
Santa Cruz
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Got some of the newest Reaper Bones. Almost all of them come in pieces. They're pretty easy to glue, but a little sad how small some of the attachements will be. Used to be only the big ones that needed assembly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave B
United States
Tigard
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
DonkeyJay wrote:
Bad news on the ratmen, guess I’ll just drop them to the bottom of the pile. Maybe someday if I run out of projects I’ll paint them.

I'm hoping someone will figure out how to paint them and let us know how!

Good luck with the Midlam elves!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Takai
Switzerland
Thun
Switzerland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm an FFG LCG fanboy, so while browsing the announcement for the new Marvel card game I came across Marvel: Crisis Protocol which is due to come out in November. The minis look really cool, and I have been reading comic books since the 80s, so I'm on the fence.

The minis are 40mm but there's not much terrain included in the box, a little bit more in the NYC expansion. So my question is: do you guys know of any companies producing terrain at this scale? Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Malbon
United States
Santa Cruz
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
takai wrote:
I'm an FFG LCG fanboy, so while browsing the announcement for the new Marvel card game I came across Marvel: Crisis Protocol which is due to come out in November. The minis look really cool, and I have been reading comic books since the 80s, so I'm on the fence.

The minis are 40mm but there's not much terrain included in the box, a little bit more in the NYC expansion. So my question is: do you guys know of any companies producing terrain at this scale? Thanks!

It appears to be 1/48 scale. Which is O scale in train sets. Sadly, I think O Scale is some of the most expensive stuff I've seen for scenery. There's way too many train sites to list.

Search for O-Scale train terrain and scenery, you'll get tons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Windsor
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Unapologetic Continual Troublemaker!
mbmbmbmbmb
sixthecat wrote:
takai wrote:

It appears to be 1/48 scale. Which is O scale in train sets. Sadly, I think O Scale is some of the most expensive stuff I've seen for scenery. There's way too many train sites to list.

Search for O-Scale train terrain and scenery, you'll get tons.

There are some great papercraft options, and you can just increase the size when printing to match the minis scale.

Fat Dragon's Capital City stuff would be perfect. Just print at 142% to convert it from 28mm to 40mm.

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse.php?keywords=Capital+cit...

I have a ton of it. Here's how it looks in action (with 28mm heroclix minis).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Jasper
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Um, seems like if it was increased to 142% it wouldn’t fit on the page anymore?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Malbon
United States
Santa Cruz
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Unpacked the Adventurers from the most recent Bones Kickstarter. Ordered them off Ebay for a decent price. Though they come in many pieces, the sculpts look really clean. Not positive, but they all seem to have that Bones Black color.

The glue joints are keyed, so they should fit snug. It looks like all the knights are missing their heads, so you can mix and match the helmets.

The bonus dragon dude was in there too. He has about 8 different arms. Looks like you can have him set with two flasks of ale, if you so desire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm just blown away by these pictures. Someone else do it and invite me over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Windsor
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Unapologetic Continual Troublemaker!
mbmbmbmbmb
DonkeyJay wrote:

Not a hard challenge to overcome if you can cut and paste in any graphics program. Smaller pieces can be isolated, and larger pieces can be split in half and glued together. It's papercraft so you will be gluing it together anyway...

I have done this myself, and wouldn't have posted the suggestion if I didn't think it was helpful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Jasper
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
reverendunclebastard wrote:
DonkeyJay wrote:

Not a hard challenge to overcome if you can cut and paste in any graphics program.

laugh laugh laugh

Yeah, no. Graphics fail here. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Haas
United States
Lenexa
KS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
reverendunclebastard wrote:
DonkeyJay wrote:

Not a hard challenge to overcome if you can cut and paste in any graphics program. Smaller pieces can be isolated, and larger pieces can be split in half and glued together. It's papercraft so you will be gluing it together anyway...

I have done this myself, and wouldn't have posted the suggestion if I didn't think it was helpful.

Or print on 11x17.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Coon
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Whoops, I forgot we have a terrain thread. Moving this over there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Winning
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It’s quiet around here.......

I finished my first hero, Jyn Odan. Other than the red on the imperial guards and Darth Vader’s lightsaber I’ve not used any bright colors at all. That all changed with this bright orange leather jacket I got to paint. I had a lot of fun with this mini, except for the gun. There just wasn’t any detail to it at all so I couldn’t really do much with it. Next up, Diala Passil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Burnsville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Lorenthia is gone, The Shadow Deep has swallowed it whole.
badge
I'm a goddam killing machine!
mbmbmbmbmb

Painted up some Reaper minis for my friend's D&D campaign he's doing with some co-workers. He paid for the figures plus tip.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Burnsville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Lorenthia is gone, The Shadow Deep has swallowed it whole.
badge
I'm a goddam killing machine!
mbmbmbmbmb
Dave B, What kind of bases do you use, and where do you get them. Specifically the ones in the elves pics. It looks like they give some good height.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse
Canada
Clearview
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
agramore wrote:
Now I'm trying to get back to the little ratmen, but still finding they seem a bit resistant to paint/gesso. shake (I REALLY wish they had been cast in metal! Resin is awful.)

Boooo, that's bad news I haven't gotten much further than opening mine to check them out, I was pretty excited to paint them, they're such nice sculpts! My hands are almost ready for a break from the 6mm stuff, trying to hold these 9mm washers steady is pretty cramp-inducing

Speaking of, cross-post from SMOYT:

Blood Axes, 'ere we go! Two gangs ready for action and another box full in the mail yesterday! I finally managed to get my board spackled and ready for painting when that gets here too. Then it's just my buildings and scrap counters and we're off to da races, waaaagh!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave B
United States
Tigard
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ogoctopus wrote:
Dave B, What kind of bases do you use, and where do you get them. Specifically the ones in the elves pics. It looks like they give some good height.

Round slotted bases from Reaper. I also glue a 1 inch diameter metal washer to the bottom so they will stick to magnets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse
Canada
Clearview
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
agramore wrote:
Round slotted bases from Reaper. I also glue a 1 inch diameter metal washer to the bottom so they will stick to magnets.

I feel silly asking something that seems so Google-able but what material of washers do you use? Originally I had planned to put magnets in the washers I was using and got through a batch, but when i restocked on washers I bought some that were magnetic and had to rethink everything it's much easier this way, but I don't want to buy the wrong thing again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  277 , 278 , 279 , 280 , 281  Next »  [282] |