Popular Tags: [View All]
Antonia
Germany
Wolfsburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
UofLHoops wrote:

What is the best brand (or most effective) primer for old-school metal miniatures?
You can use any normal primer you get through your regular game store.
Like Citadel/Army Painter primer. Or you can go to a craft store and get black non-shining finish/varnish (not sure what the correct term is) there.

The important thing with metal figures is: clean the figures gently in soap water before priming them.
Often the grease stays on the metal, it is also a good tip with Resin bases/figures. Believe me, There is nothing worse than your paint pealing of layer-by-layer after you spent hours painting it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hal Martin
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
Love my Oilers!
badge
I miss my boy :(
mbmbmbmbmb
UofLHoops wrote:
Hey guys...a quick question from a *relative* newbie....

What is the best brand (or most effective) primer for old-school metal miniatures?

Army Painter, Citadel (GW), P3. Most primers work equally well on both plastic and metal figs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave B
United States
Tigard
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Like the others said, any primer from the likes of Vallejo and other miniatures paint companies will be fine for metal. If you're painting with acrylics (as opposed to enamels) any acrylic primer should be fine. The main thing about primer is that it shouldn't be too thick. You don't want it clogging up detail. I've never had a problem with paint flaking off. I have miniatures I painted decades ago that are still good. Personally, I have been using black acrylic gesso for the last several years, but I have used acrylic primers, too.

The key things are to make sure the miniature is clean, use an acrylic primer if you're painting with acrylics, and use a good varnish after painting is complete. That has been working for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Gardner
United States
LA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
klkitchens wrote:
I use craft paints... I prefer the "Ceramcoat" brand personally. I made a solution of Finish floor wax (acrylic) and water (80:20) and thin the paints with that.

Much more affordable and yep, just as good.

For primer, I get Krylon spray on.

I second your approval of Delta Ceramcoat craft paints. They are great and thin well without getting streaky. Americana is good, and the metallics from Folkart have been great (I don't thin them). The absolute worst for me has been Craftsmart. Thank goodness I only bought 3 bottles, b/c they were just awful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Barlow
Canada
Stratford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Stop overthinking it and just play the thing!
mbmbmbmbmb
Longbombed wrote:
UofLHoops wrote:
Hey guys...a quick question from a *relative* newbie....

Army Painter, Citadel (GW), P3. Most primers work equally well on both plastic and metal figs.
I find the Warhammer paints hit and miss. I think it's just that there's no way to tell how long those paints have been sitting in the shop. My primer and my white have seperated, I think, and I'm a bit disappointed with them.

Also, do Warhammer paints do a small pot of varnish? Or do I have to buy the big spray can?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hal Martin
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
Love my Oilers!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They do... it's called 'ardcoat. It's a glossy finish. I use it all the time after I matt finish with a spray, then use 'ardcoat for things like lenses.

As far as not knowing how long something has been on a shelf, that can go for anything, really. I've never had an issue with Citadel paints other than their prices, and I try to buy directly from a GW store as their product rotates fast enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hal Martin
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
Love my Oilers!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Got my 2.0 rules in for Myth so I figured I'd start painting figs for the game, in anticipation!

Here's the Crawlers with a base coat.

And here they are a bit closer up once I dipped them. Used the Minwax Polyshade Antique Walnut colour. It's a bit lighter of a brown so it didn't come out too well on the dark brown figs. I just brushed it on heavy and cleaned up any bubbles and pools, rather than a true dip n' shake method.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Erskine
United States
Alexandria
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They look great.

I dipped mine in the same shade. I had a darker base and they came out really dark. Oh well. I got a lot better as I moved on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This thread has convinced me to finally get some paints. It's been over 15 years since I've painted. Never thought that itch would return. Hoping I get a set through Christmas. If not they will be coming soon afterwards
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Mayes
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
“Whilst I count my schnookels”
mbmbmbmbmb
They look great, Moe! Nice work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hal Martin
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
Love my Oilers!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Malaiser wrote:

Wrong Canadian, RYAN! (I had another choice word there I changed!)
I know, I know.... we all look the same!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Mayes
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Longbombed wrote:
Malaiser wrote:

Well, Rats. I'm so sorry Hal. Would you believe that I'm super tired tonight?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hal Martin
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
Love my Oilers!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Malaiser wrote:
Longbombed wrote:
Malaiser wrote:

All good, man. I could never be mad at you, Steve.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Mayes
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Longbombed wrote:
Malaiser wrote:
Longbombed wrote:
Malaiser wrote:

All good, man. I could never be mad at you, Steve.

Hehe. I won't let it happen again. Hopefully.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ava Jarvis
United States
Bainbridge Island
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never painted anything much before. I did some drybrushing once.

I heard painting is kind of expensive though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hal Martin
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
Love my Oilers!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BilboAtBagEnd wrote:
I've never painted anything much before. I did some drybrushing once.

I heard painting is kind of expensive though.

You should totally try. I find it very relaxing. Throw a movie on or music, sit back get some good light and just paint. ANYTHING is better than zero colour figs that are boring grey.

Page 1 has some good ideas on how to paint figures and not pay too much!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Alton
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
Paper 'Mech - winner 'Best Overall Design' in the 2016 1-page PNP Contest
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I did these a few years ago for my copy of Space Hulk.
They won a competition for "best painted", which at the time I was very pleased with whistle

I since sold them for well over £300, so it also netted me a tidy profit (although if you consider the hours spent on painting, probably equated to £1.02 per hour, so more akin to slave labour!)

There's more in the gallery section for Space Hulk, so I won't post them all here! laugh

I'm currently trying to re-paint my Mage Knight figures, but it's difficult material to work with. Currently got a base coat on all 4 mage knights, and Goldyx is almost finished. If I ever finish them, I'll post them up here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Gardner
United States
LA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, those Space Hulk figures look amazing. I've got an Age of Sigmar set on the way to paint. Should be fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Windsor
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Unapologetic Continual Troublemaker!
mbmbmbmbmb
So with a full week off of work, and a newly acquired deluxe enemy set, I am finally feeling inspired to paint my minis for Shadows of Brimstone. Have all my paints, inks, primer, brushes etc. dug out of the closet and ready to go. Hoping to start first thing tomorrow so unless I chicken out there should be updates starting tomorrow night.

The new additions (Shadows of Brimstone: Masters of the Void Deluxe Enemy Pack):

The entire collection:

The two figures on the left that are already primed are Black Scorpion miniatures I added to the game to pimp it out a bit (and be able to have two preachers). The Secret Weapon Miniature Bases at the front I used to replace the corpse pile cardboard chits.

Excited to have these painted!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Mayes
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good luck, Rev! Have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Windsor
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I didn't chicken out, pushing ahead with painting the Shadows of Brimstone minis.

Primed and ready to go:

Progress at end of day:

Close up of Hell Bats:

Close up of Tentacles:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Gastonguay
United States
Pottstown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Act Three! Everybody Dies!
mbmbmb
reverendunclebastard wrote:

Close up of Hell Bats:

AH! Joan Crawford lipstick!

Seriously, great stuff so far! You're making me want to spend some of my year-end bonus on paints...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Windsor
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So here is my progress so far today:

The tentacles and the hellbats have had a drybrush and an ink wash, and their bases have been painted. They are now done (except for the spray on clear matte varnish but I will do all the minis at once when I'm done):

The slashers had a base coat of orange, then they were heavily drybrushed with crimson, had an ink wash, then were heavily drybrushed in yellow. The spines on their backs were just painted crimson and tipped with yellow, no ink wash on them. Bases are painted. These are also ready for a clear matte varnish:

Now I have the following primed and ready to paint:

3 Void Masters
3 Void Hounds
5 Corpse Piles
12 Hungry Dead
6 Heroes
1 (giant) Harbinger

Hoping to get a base coat at least on the Void Masters/Hounds tonight. My goal is to finish these by Sunday because I am back to work on Monday. Then the following weekend I will get a chance to play Shadows of Brimstone with painted minis! Finally!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave B
United States
Tigard
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking very good so far. Simple but effective paint schemes (which are often the best).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Windsor
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
agramore wrote:
Looking very good so far. Simple but effective paint schemes (which are often the best).

Thanks Dave! I am steering pretty close to the colour schemes of the creatures as they are illustrated in the game. I like the simple colour schemes and it also speeds up the process. The Hungry Dead minis (decaying zombies) will take a bit more work so I am saving them for last.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [282] |