Recommend
12 
 Thumb up
 Hide
50 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

1 Player guild» Forums » General

Subject: Your new year's resolution? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Redston
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Mine is not to buy any games for at least 3 months. Why, you ask? Because usually I only allow myself a new game every other month or so, but it wasn't two weeks since I bought Fields of Arle yet yesterday I bought Pandemic Legacy and today Pandemic The Cure shake Needless to say, I am very disappointed with myself. What about you?

P.S. And I also bought sleeves, Fields of Arle promos, and 30 chinese metal coins for Loyang (20 silver, 10 gold).
12 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
kroen wrote:
Mine is not to buy any games for at least 3 months. Why, you ask? Because usually I only allow myself a new game every other month or so, but it wasn't two weeks since I bought Fields of Arle yet yesterday I bought Pandemic Legacy and today Pandemic The Cure shake Needless to say, I am very disappointed with myself. What about you?
I'm very disappointed in you too.

To avoid this disappointment, next year do what I do - refuse to make any New Year resolutions. Ever.
23 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonia
Germany
Wolfsburg
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
kroen wrote:
Mine is not to buy any games for at least 3 months. Why, you ask? Because usually I only allow myself a new game every other month or so, but it wasn't two weeks since I bought Fields of Arle yet yesterday I bought Pandemic Legacy and today Pandemic The Cure shake Needless to say, I am very disappointed with myself. What about you?

Something along those lines.
I swore to myself to not buy any games after spending too much money in Essen.
Now I ended up placing a huge order including Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective: The Thames Murders & Other Cases and the sold-out (in big parts of Europe) Mage Knight Board Game: The Lost Legion at a Dutch online shop shake

So I think my resolution will be to not buy any games before we visit the USA around August for GenCon
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Human Garynome
United Kingdom
Gateshead
Tyne and Wear
flag msg tools
badge
I secretly play games multiplayer...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mccrispy wrote:
To avoid this disappointment, next year do what I do - refuse to make any New Year resolutions. Ever.


I'm going to have to do this as I just can't trust myself anymore. shake
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mel
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
Aren't you glad I'm not the pied piper?
badge
Move a little closer so I can reach out and light your beard on fire!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh I wouldn't be disappointed. I got 'em too and glad I did. What better hobby is there for us right now in this space and time than board games. It keeps you sane, and works the brain. It's important to live within your means though, so one does need to watch the budget and stay on track. If you feel like you're getting off track, simply rip into some of those games you already have and play 'em 10 times each until you've saved up the money to buy the next one.

Like someone earlier in this thread said: Make a resolution not to make any New Years resolutions. I've succeeded in that the last 10 years by 100% and I feel better that way. You just gotta get up every day and focus on keeping yourself in line a bit at a time.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ross Allen
United Kingdom
Manchester
Greater Manchester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will not buy any game but if I do want a game I will put on a list and have to wait 1 year, this means I will no longer have those regrettable impulse buys.

However I will buy Summoner Wars second summoners as they should be released next year, and any non-kickstarter expansion to Shadows of Brimstone, and 2nd edition of urbion if that happens.

No kickstarters.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Davies
Wales
Cardiff
flag msg tools
Y Ddraig Goch Ddyry Gychwyn.
badge
Go Team Blob Wheels.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
My plan was to buy no new games for myself before the UK Games Expo (I will be taking part in Secret Soloist so I will buy a game for someone else). I'm also going to try not to buy anything between the start of July and Essen.

So the plan is:
Buy lots of expansions for games I already own before June
Buy as many new games as I can afford in June (preferably at the expo)
Play existing games until Essen (although I will be visiting America over the summer so that may change and I may end up buying lots over there)
Buy as many games as I can in Essen
get everything played by the end of November before I submit next years top 20.

The only exceptions will be games that are OOP but become available to buy from somewhere and Kickstarters that are either reprints of games I really want or will be due for delivery in 2017.

Depending on delivery dates, I am already expecting 9 games next year. 4 of them could arrive before the end of this year.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
Gloom of Kilforth reprint Kickstarter Sept 29-Oct 31
badge
Gloom of Kilforth reprint Kickstarter Sept 29-Oct 31
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
kroen wrote:
Mine is not to buy any games for at least 3 months. Why, you ask? Because usually I only allow myself a new game every other month or so, but it wasn't two weeks since I bought Fields of Arle yet yesterday I bought Pandemic Legacy and today Pandemic The Cure shake Needless to say, I am very disappointed with myself.


The first step is to admit that you have a problem.
The second step is to admit that there's nothing you can do about it.
Ever.
15 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Human Garynome
United Kingdom
Gateshead
Tyne and Wear
flag msg tools
badge
I secretly play games multiplayer...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ian_07720169619 wrote:
My plan was to buy no new games for myself before the UK Games Expo (I will be taking part in Secret Soloist so I will buy a game for someone else). I'm also going to try not to buy anything between the start of July and Essen.

So the plan is:
Buy lots of expansions for games I already own before June
Buy as many new games as I can afford in June (preferably at the expo)
Play existing games until Essen (although I will be visiting America over the summer so that may change and I may end up buying lots over there)
Buy as many games as I can in Essen
get everything played by the end of November before I submit next years top 20.

The only exceptions will be games that are OOP but become available to buy from somewhere and Kickstarters that are either reprints of games I really want or will be due for delivery in 2017.

Depending on delivery dates, I am already expecting 9 games next year. 4 of them could arrive before the end of this year.


That's an impressive plan Ian. I hope you achieve it. Lots of self control needed (what is that again?).
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Davies
Wales
Cardiff
flag msg tools
Y Ddraig Goch Ddyry Gychwyn.
badge
Go Team Blob Wheels.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
garyrbrooks wrote:
ian_07720169619 wrote:
My plan was to buy no new games for myself before the UK Games Expo (I will be taking part in Secret Soloist so I will buy a game for someone else). I'm also going to try not to buy anything between the start of July and Essen.

So the plan is:
Buy lots of expansions for games I already own before June
Buy as many new games as I can afford in June (preferably at the expo)
Play existing games until Essen (although I will be visiting America over the summer so that may change and I may end up buying lots over there)
Buy as many games as I can in Essen
get everything played by the end of November before I submit next years top 20.

The only exceptions will be games that are OOP but become available to buy from somewhere and Kickstarters that are either reprints of games I really want or will be due for delivery in 2017.

Depending on delivery dates, I am already expecting 9 games next year. 4 of them could arrive before the end of this year.


That's an impressive plan Ian. I hope you achieve it. Lots of self control needed (what is that again?).

I'll probably try and buy some more games for Christmas this year so I will have a few new games for the start of next year. I'm hoping it will be fairly reasonable goal as I have no shelf space left and I have a few expensive holiday to save for over the next 2 years so all my gaming money will be going towards them.

Perhaps you could set a goal of only buying 3 games a month
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Splittist
Switzerland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
On a more uplifting (?) note, there was 1 Player Guild / SGOYT - 2015 Solitaire Goals. I would definitely approach that differently this year...
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bate
United Kingdom
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
1366x768

I need a new monitor so I need to spend less (like that'll ever happen.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Human Garynome
United Kingdom
Gateshead
Tyne and Wear
flag msg tools
badge
I secretly play games multiplayer...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ian_07720169619 wrote:
Perhaps you could set a goal of only buying 3 games a month


Just 36 new games in 2016? I could try I suppose. No promises though.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Orange Sopwith
United Kingdom
Polegate
East Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
wrrlykam wrote:
1366x768




Gosh - for a second there I thought this was a new version of the 10 x 10 challenge...!
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Solo Gaming Reviews and Commentary
badge
Solo Gaming Reviews and Commentary
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Buy less.
Play more.
14 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hostetler
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Buy less and play more!

That actually was my resolution this year. I think I've averaged one game purchase per month in 2015. Of course, I currently have my Onirim and Skyline 3000 on the way. Will I sit out Dec?

I have also achieved one play per day and got my 10x10. So I'm not complaining about my plays for 2015.... but I'd still like to play more.



3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joke Meister
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
garyrbrooks wrote:
mccrispy wrote:
To avoid this disappointment, next year do what I do - refuse to make any New Year resolutions. Ever.


I'm going to have to do this as I just can't trust myself anymore. shake


I trust that you will buy lots of games.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Redston
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Fribian wrote:
Like someone earlier in this thread said: Make a resolution not to make any New Years resolutions.

Somehow this reminds me of this comic:



P.S. If you enjoyed my solo perspectives of Loyang and Arle you can expect the same treatment for Pandemic Legacy & The Cure. (Once I get them and get to play with them that is. Of course, my review for Legacy will be spoiler-free but will only be made once I've finished the game.)
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Barlow
Canada
Stratford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I'm a GRUMP
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I resolve (again from last year) to keep my monthly Visa spending to $200, although to give myself an even chance, I'll make it $250.

That's gas, eating out, and toys. Toys is the hard one. I always pay my bill in full, and that leads to feeling that the money I make is in one door and out the other. My worst Visa this past year, I think, was about $800. Bleah.

This was last years'.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ava Jarvis
United States
Bainbridge Island
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I resolve to eat out less so I can spend more money on games.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Buy less gam-

Yeah, sorry, I can't even bring myself to type it.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
June King
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
Bring me her heart in this box.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I resolve to at last solve my problem of spending my holidays alone. And to buy fewer games until I start playing more than just the two cons I attend.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Berard
United States
Wabash
IN
flag msg tools
Hit 'em high.
badge
Hit 'em low.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Buy NO games in 2016 (I can still acquire, just not buy)
2) Blog about my year not buying games
3) Complete a 10x10 challenge
4) Try more solo variants for the games I have
5) Work on getting a gaming group together
6) Attempt to make at least 1 solo variant

That's pretty much all of them...
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Solo Gaming Reviews and Commentary
badge
Solo Gaming Reviews and Commentary
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Eraelan wrote:
1) Buy NO games in 2016 (I can still acquire, just not buy)
2) Blog about my year not buying games
3) Complete a 10x10 challenge
4) Try more solo variants for the games I have
5) Work on getting a gaming group together
6) Attempt to make at least 1 solo variant

That's pretty much all of them...


#5 sounds dreadful!!!
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt R
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
All life is only a set of pictures in the brain, among which there is no difference betwixt those born of real things and those born of inward dreamings, and no cause to value the one above the other.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Learn less, play more. This is my solemn vow to myself. This has been the year of learning. 2016 shall be the year of playing.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.