$30.00
Gold Sirius
Canada
flag msg tools
mb

When I started looking at other games made by Level99Games after Pixel Tactics, I quickly noticed BattleCon was a top contender. Ranked so high on BGG, designed by the same guy who made PT and with game mechanics I thought were very appealing right off the bat, I took the plunge and bought the game.

And boy oh boy, what a game BattleCon is.

Following up on the success of War of Indines, BattleCon’s first foray into the scene, Devastation of Indines is the exact same game with new characters and new game modes. It’s an expansive box filled to the brim and a huge game in itself. Is it expensive? Sure. But the amount of gaming you get is well worth the pennies spent.

BattleCon, at its core, is a game of 1-on-1 fighting in which you try to outwit your opponent by putting down attack pairs on the table. What’s so great about BattleCon is that it mimics video game fighters, where you know in advance your opponent’s move set – you just need to play better. You don’t know what your opponent’s going to do, but you know everything he or she CAN do. Indeed, you won’t be randomly drawing from a deck and hope for the best, neither. All your moves, all possibilities, are in your hand for you to choose. The moves that are NOT at your disposal are laying there face up for all to see. And your opponent has a reference card of your chosen character so he can analyze all possible choices YOU can make.

Devastation of Indines offers a whopping roster of 30 –very– different characters for you to test your wits with. You want to be quick? You want to hit hard? Counterattack? Throw projectiles from afar? Set up traps? Create clones? Control puppets? Equip yourself with weapons? Pester your enemy with insects? Petrify? Use elements? Raise zombies? Customize your character?

BattleCon has it all.

That would be enough, but Devastation offers even more. You can play 2 against 2, you can solo through dungeons and equip your character with weapons and items, you can do 2 vs 1 boss fights or 3 vs 1 boss fights, you can change your set of common bases for beta bases to alter the experience, you can turn your characters into EX fighters or Almighty fighters to make them ever stronger, etc.

As a game, BattleCon is practically perfect.

Obviously, that’s not to say there aren’t some drawbacks here and there.

First, the roster is so large you couldn’t possibly hope for a perfectly balanced cast. Yes, some characters are better than others, and some aren’t tournament-viable, but can you really blame the developers? On the contrary, the balance achieved despite the roster is quite impressive, because there’s almost always a way to win. Almost.

Second (and although not directly related to the game in itself, it has to be mentioned), the box’s insert is one of the worst I’ve ever seen for a board game. Once you unwrap everything, it just won’t fit back in. I, surprisingly, still managed to find a way to keep the same box and insert and I always put back the cards and markers the same way, but the lid doesn’t quite go back all the way down. This ‘oversight’ is so baffling, countless topics have been made about it by different people.

Third, the game can become very mathematical. You can always calculate everything and do the best possible move each given beat, which can sometimes tell you in advance if you’ve lost the next beat or not. This can be seen as a positive or a negative, but in some cases it can take away from some of the excitement.

Those, however, are minor gripes about an overall astounding game. If you’re sick of chucking dice and you really want to feel like you’re the better player after you’ve won, BattleCon is the game for you. You can’t just play and hope for the best in BattleCon, or you’ll end up devastated. *wink* You need to plan, you need to count, you need to analyze. It’s the only way to victory. And with an ever-growing fan base, tournaments, new characters and new expansions, you should really do yourself a favor and get the game. If the price tag seems too steep for you, give it a try with War of Indines or Fate of Indines, the same core game, only with less (and different) characters.

You can only dash, grasp, strike, drive, shoot or burst with BattleCon. That is to say, you can’t go wrong.

Final score: A+

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack S
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GoldSirius wrote:

Third, the game can become very mathematical. You can always calculate everything and do the best possible move each given beat, which can sometimes tell you in advance if you’ve lost the next beat or not. This can be seen as a positive or a negative, but in some cases it can take away from some of the excitement.

I don't know if there's always a 'best' move. If your opponent knows your 'best' move, they can counter it with an attack pair of their own that counters yours! This is part of the fun in Battlecon though, the bluffing and trying to foresee what your opponents are trying to set up (hence the best 2 out of 3 for matches).

Solid points all around and a great review =D.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Martinez
United States
Irving
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stickdood wrote:
GoldSirius wrote:

I don't know if there's always a 'best' move. If your opponent knows your 'best' move, they can counter it with an attack pair of their own that counters yours! This is part of the fun in Battlecon though, the bluffing and trying to foresee what your opponents are trying to set up (hence the best 2 out of 3 for matches).

Agreed. If you always do your "best move", a savvy opponent will be able to counter nearly everything you do. Yes, sometimes you will have a perfect move, but it's pretty rare.

In fact, this is what I love about the game most of all. It is a constantly evolving decision matrix, based on understanding the fighters involved and the player across the table. It is one of the most interactive games I've ever played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gold Sirius
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Stickdood wrote:
GoldSirius wrote:

Thank you for commenting!

That's not what I meant by 'best move', though. What I meant to say is that sometimes, you or your opponent will just be unable to do anything to prevent something from happening.
You can see that your opponent, for example, has styles X, Y and Z left in their hand with these 5 bases, and NO MATTER what they play, if you play this combination, you will win. Because of priority or whatever, sometimes you know that whatever happens, you'll be able to stun your opponent before they play and they won't be able to do anything about it.

It's not always possible to predict an inevitability, but it does happen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel DeMars
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GoldSirius wrote:
Stickdood wrote:
GoldSirius wrote:

Thank you for commenting!

That's not what I meant by 'best move', though. What I meant to say is that sometimes, you or your opponent will just be unable to do anything to prevent something from happening.
You can see that your opponent, for example, has styles X, Y and Z left in their hand with these 5 bases, and NO MATTER what they play, if you play this combination, you will win. Because of priority or whatever, sometimes you know that whatever happens, you'll be able to stun your opponent before they play and they won't be able to do anything about it.

It's not always possible to predict an inevitability, but it does happen.

Just a quick strategy tip - when you find yourself faced with this situation, see if you have anything that clashes your opponent's inevitable move. My game improved a ton when I started to consider intentional clashing as a viable defensive play.

EDIT: Also, just wanted to say that I've been loving these review! Keep up the excellent work!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yang Xiaodong
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love battlecon very much.
There is a problem that has troubled me for a long time.

what is “armor 1’ means in battlecon. I can't find it from rulebook.

Please tell me the answer,thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Martinez
United States
Irving
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mclooker wrote:
I love battlecon very much.
There is a problem that has troubled me for a long time.

what is “armor 1’ means in battlecon. I can't find it from rulebook.

Please tell me the answer,thank you.

Armor is like Soak, but used up as it prevents damage.

If a character has Soak 1, he will negate one point of damage from all damage.

If a character has Armor 1, he will negate one point of damage from an attack, but have no more Armor against any further attacks that beat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Green
msg tools
"Best" moves almost never show up in games until one person can be knocked out in a single hit, which changes the dynamic a bit. If you frequently find yourself in "best" move situations, its likely that someone missed part of the analysis (happens to the guy I play against a bunch. He'll come up with something he doesn't think I can beat, and then finds out that I actually had a counter the whole time that he missed because of a minor detail.)

Clashing is a common way people miss things, but each character tends to have some sort of trick they can abuse to get out of bad situations. For example, Oriana can play the style that turns all damage into life loss to effectively gain infinite stun guard and ignore all on damage effect.

There are a small handful of characters that can't act effectively if maneuvered into a bad spot, and require advanced play to make sure that never happens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.