Popular Tags: [View All]
Sharon Khan
United Kingdom
Shefford
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
Games, games and more games!
Microbadge: Golden MeepleMicrobadge: GCL Beehive--BuzzworthyMicrobadge: Geek of the WeekMicrobadge: Plays Games with SpouseMicrobadge: Gamer Family

This thread is for discussion of the UK Maths Trade December 2015. Please keep things friendly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Lovejoy
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Cosmic Encounter fanMicrobadge: Box of Delights Play-Through fanMicrobadge: Christopher Hitchens fanMicrobadge: Jack Vasel Memorial Fund auction participant - 2015Microbadge: Dual of Ages II fan
Hey Everyone .... obligatory 'Its my first maths trade' question!

HORRAY....

Anyway , i want to trade my copy of Arkham Horror 2005.
I have added some spooky spikey dice that are fun to use with the game.

Adding that as a sweetener, should i put an 'Out of scope of BGG' link?

Just do the +altitem+scaryspikeydice-altitem- link??

Or just write it in?

Thanks all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Kruczek
United Kingdom
Colchester
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: I wait to open Secret Santa gifts!Microbadge: 2014 Secret Santa participantMicrobadge: 2015 Secret Santa participantMicrobadge: 2016 Secret Santa participantMicrobadge: 2017 Secret Santa participant
Drunk Badger wrote:

HORRAY....

Or just write it in?

Thanks all.
As it's adding what sounds like a cool and unique item, I'd take a photo and upload to it to the description. I don't think it needs an extra link, as long as you mention it in the text.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Lovejoy
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Cosmic Encounter fanMicrobadge: Box of Delights Play-Through fanMicrobadge: Christopher Hitchens fanMicrobadge: Jack Vasel Memorial Fund auction participant - 2015Microbadge: Dual of Ages II fan
matt_k wrote:
Drunk Badger wrote:

HORRAY....

Or just write it in?

Thanks all.
As it's adding what sounds like a cool and unique item, I'd take a photo and upload to it to the description. I don't think it needs an extra link, as long as you mention it in the text.
Awesome. Thanks. Will add some photos now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clare Cannon
Wales
Trefforest
Mid Glamorgan
flag msg tools
Microbadge: THIS IS AN EX-PARROT!
I am looking to trade my The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game collection.

I know I have the full first cycle, and a few more of the packs as well as the khazadum box and more than one copy of the base game, all of which is integrated in several folders and two of the base game boxes.

It is far too much to trade for in a single lot therefore I am looking to split it down into its component parts.

Does anyone know anywhere to find a card list, as none of the cards seem to have an expansion symbol upon them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Lovejoy
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools

Looking at the list, there are some high ticket items.
E.G Mage Knight.
Will that person get value for his trade, or is it not as sort after any more?

Also, my listing of Thunderstone + two expansions, I assume that's high ish value wise, and so could trade it for something good (fingers crossed).

Bought it SO long ago, and it hasn't really touched the table, so a bit out of touch with its popularity and value.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Parker McParker
United Kingdom
Bath
Somerset
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Memoir '44 fanMicrobadge: I play games in BathMicrobadge: 'When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning' - Dr. Reiner KniziaMicrobadge: Legendary Online League participantMicrobadge: Galaxy Trucker fan
I'm having trouble using the olwlg to copy a game from the Oct trade to the current one.
I'm pretty sure I'm on the right page on the olwlg. Pick the Oct maths trade and "Run Query". I see all the games, each one with an "Add toi Trade" button.

However, every time I press the button to add an item to the current trade, I go back to the Geek with a page with normal headers, but the text "Invalid action".

Would love some help!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
We always have time for the things we put first.
Microbadge: LGBTQ allyMicrobadge: GameChat League - Phoenix Division: "Like a phoenix rising from the ashes..."Microbadge: I'm femaleMicrobadge: 2019 Women & Gaming Holiday Card Exchange ParticipantMicrobadge: 2019 Christmas Card Exchange participant
Please note the new (couple of months old) policy on cash value trades:

Any Math Trader who accepts a cash value trade (gift certificate, PayPal, etc.) is conducting a direct sale through the site and is subject to the associated commission fee required by the Terms of Service just as with any other sale. Which means, any cash value trade needs to go through the BGG marketplace. The easiest thing to do is for the person receiving the GC/PayPal/etc to create a Geek Market listing (Miscellaneous Game Accessory is a good default option) and have someone (like the person sending the GC/cash) buy it. Any user who selects that they will accept a cash value trade should be aware of this.

(You can see discussion about it on this previous math trade here: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/20602976#20602976)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Taylor
United Kingdom
FARINGDON
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Golden MeepleMicrobadge: Silver Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: DellCon fanMicrobadge: I'm part of the best board gaming group on Facebook Microbadge: Liverpool fan
indigopotter wrote:
Please note the new (couple of months old) policy on cash value trades:

Any Math Trader who accepts a cash value trade (gift certificate, PayPal, etc.) is conducting a direct sale through the site and is subject to the associated commission fee required by the Terms of Service just as with any other sale. Which means, any cash value trade needs to go through the BGG marketplace. The easiest thing to do is for the person receiving the GC/PayPal/etc to create a Geek Market listing (Miscellaneous Game Accessory is a good default option) and have someone (like the person sending the GC/cash) buy it. Any user who selects that they will accept a cash value trade should be aware of this.

(You can see discussion about it on this previous math trade here: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/20602976#20602976)
This makes it very important that all cash entries have carefully worded their offer. Many people say they will over 'ALL FEES' which under this new requirement would suggest the 3% BGG gets is covered also (this would require a Paypal transfer of the promised total divided by .97 (basically adding 3.1% to the value). Where people say they will cover Paypal fees, it fine as it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve N
United Kingdom
Macclesfield
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Smokejumpers fanMicrobadge: Parent of One GirlMicrobadge: Manchester beeMicrobadge: Plays Games with SpouseMicrobadge: 1 Player Guild - Together We Game Alone
Yes, it would maybe be better if the MT header was updated to make it clear that all cash trades will have to conform to the new mandate. If anyone writes anything different in their listing then the header will override.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sharon Khan
United Kingdom
Shefford
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
Games, games and more games!
Microbadge: Golden MeepleMicrobadge: GCL Beehive--BuzzworthyMicrobadge: Geek of the WeekMicrobadge: Plays Games with SpouseMicrobadge: Gamer Family
ReggieMcFly wrote:
Yes, it would maybe be better if the MT header was updated to make it clear that all cash trades will have to conform to the new mandate. If anyone writes anything different in their listing then the header will override.
It will be - just haven't got time to get round to it yet!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level V - My God! It's Full of Stars!Microbadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level I - One small step for geek... One giant leap for geek-kind!Microbadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level II - If I have seen further, it's only by standing on the apex of other's dice.Microbadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level III - Are we geeks because we gaze at the stars, or do we gaze at them because we are geeks?Microbadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level IV - The journey of a thousand crits begins with a single roll...
Although the policy was decided upon a few months ago, Sharon only got a geekmail about it on or after the very day she started the trade: hardly time to work out the implications, change the rules and ensure everyone gets to know about the change.

I would suggest it would be much more sensible for it to apply from the next UK MT so it can be dealt with properly without causing acrimony.

The few £ BGG will not get (and have never had before) will be far outweighed by avoiding the confusion such a late change will make ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
Microbadge: LGBTQ allyMicrobadge: GameChat League - Phoenix Division: "Like a phoenix rising from the ashes..."Microbadge: I'm femaleMicrobadge: 2019 Women & Gaming Holiday Card Exchange ParticipantMicrobadge: 2019 Christmas Card Exchange participant
It's been changed in the header, it's noted in the comments, and it's been discussed here. It's only the 2nd, and the list doesn't close until Monday the 7th at 8 pm. The deadline for submitting lists is Thurs 10th December 2015, 8pm, more than a week away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level V - My God! It's Full of Stars!Microbadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level I - One small step for geek... One giant leap for geek-kind!Microbadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level II - If I have seen further, it's only by standing on the apex of other's dice.Microbadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level III - Are we geeks because we gaze at the stars, or do we gaze at them because we are geeks?Microbadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level IV - The journey of a thousand crits begins with a single roll...
Those last minute changes based on a decision made 2 months ago WILL cause confusion and confusion leads to acrimony.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Taylor
United Kingdom
FARINGDON
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Golden MeepleMicrobadge: Silver Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: DellCon fanMicrobadge: I'm part of the best board gaming group on Facebook Microbadge: Liverpool fan
enoon wrote:
Those last minute changes based on a decision made 2 months ago WILL cause confusion and confusion leads to acrimony.
If anyone wants to feel bitter over the rules...then fine.
I don't think it's very confusing and at this stage no-one has committed to anything so it's hardly unfair. Everyone should read the rules before they submit their wants anyway, so I don't see the problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
I have not yet noticed anyone expressing bitterness over the rules ... it's best to read what people write not what you want them to have written.

Any significant changes to the rules should be REALLY REALLY obvious and shoved in people's faces. If they are not, experience tells us it leads to confusion. Confusion leads to acrimony.

Most people would not think to RE-read the rules AFTER they have listed their items. At the time of writing this change is NOT in the rules.

We know that many people do not read rules, do not notice comments and do not participate in this discussion thread. Whether they should is not the issue - we know they don't They will be taken by surprise and be confused; perhaps also embarrassed. That is NOT a good thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Taylor
United Kingdom
FARINGDON
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
enoon wrote:
I have not yet noticed anyone expressing bitterness over the rules ... it's best to read what people write not what you want them to have written.

Any significant changes to the rules should be REALLY REALLY obvious and shoved in people's faces. If they are not, experience tells us it leads to confusion. Confusion leads to acrimony.

Most people would not think to RE-read the rules AFTER they have listed their items. At the time of writing this change is NOT in the rules.

We know that many people do not read rules, do not notice comments and do not participate in this discussion thread. Whether they should is not the issue - we know they don't They will be taken by surprise and be confused; perhaps also embarrassed. That is NOT a good thing.
I didn't mention bitterness first, you did. That's what acrimony means. Maybe you should learn what a word means before you use it...

You're suggesting we cater for people who might not be bothered to read the rules. Being on the side of people who complain about not knowing the rules is a novel stance on this website.

I'm sorry but the rules seem clear, everyone has plenty of time to read them before submitting their wants. I don't see why you insist on making this a problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
negatrev wrote:
enoon wrote:

I didn't mention bitterness first, you did. That's what acrimony means. Maybe you should learn what a word means before you use it...
I said confusion will lead to acrimony. No-one is expressing bitterness about the rules: that's in your head.. Best to understand context instead of using a particular word out of context to construct a straw man.

negatrev wrote:
You're suggesting we cater for people who might not be bothered to read the rules. Being on the side of people who complain about not knowing the rules is a novel stance on this website.
Maybe. But it's a very sensible stance - the people who do not bother to read the rules (or those who do not RE-read them after having listed their items - and why would they?) are the people who will be confused. I fear their confusion will lead to acrimony. I seek to prevent confusion and acrimony. What are you seeking to achieve?

negatrev wrote:
I'm sorry but the rules seem clear, everyone has plenty of time to read them before submitting their wants.
Why - for example - would someone RE-read the geeklist header before submitting their wants AFTER having listed their items before the header was changed?

negatrev wrote:
I don't see why you insist on making this a problem.
I am not insisting on anything, let alone "making this a problem". I seek to prevent a problem, confusion and maybe acrimony. What are you trying to achieve by pretending there will be no confusion?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Fergus
United Kingdom
St.Austell
Cornwall
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Amun-Re fanMicrobadge: Team Fortress 2 fanMicrobadge: Dungeon Petz fan - The poop speaks for itself!Microbadge: Copper File Uploader
Stop arguing guys.... the last time the debate got a little heated the trade was pulled.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
In one context a lot of 'heat and noise' might alert folks to the 'new arrangements' - but hey, I've said my piece, and unless my peace is disturbed or my cage rattled I need say no more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
enoon wrote:
The change was made in the header, about 2 hours before your post. Under WANT LISTS AND AFTER SUBMISSION, it says

"- Traders accepting cash value trades must pay the BGG commission fees for a sale, so this must go through the BGG marketplace. The easiest way to do this is for the person receiving the payment to create a Geek Market listing (Miscellaneous Game Accessory is a good default) and have someone (like the person sending the cash) buy it."

It's sounding like it would have been better if I had made the list private on Sunday, like what we do for geeklist auctions, until the header could be fixed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
Ah - I would have missed that. I did miss it - even though I was looking for it. Of course, I expected it to be in huge bold text highlighted with arrows and stars, so that was my bad.... but then, I'd listed all my items before the change was made. Even looking at the header I would not have had my eyes drawn to the text you quote. I suspect that might be the case with other folks too. But hey .... if everyone else is convinced the will be no confusion and no problems, then I've said my piece and need say no more unless quoted or addressed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spurlock
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Microbadge: ZERTZ fan
I agree with Enoon - once I have submitted my items I mostly use the OLWLG - I think it is possible to miss this change. Therefore I would suggest to at least highlight the changes in the header, so they are immediately visible upon opening the thread.

Also as a side question - what is the deal on vouchers?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Geggus
United Kingdom
Brentwood,
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Queen Games Lancaster Giveaway Contest participantMicrobadge: Queen Games "Urbanization" Contest participantMicrobadge: Ares Games "Age of Conan" Contest participantMicrobadge: Queen Games Kingdom Builder Giveaway Contest participantMicrobadge: Sirlin Games Yomi Contest participant
If I could just jump in here. Carol (Indigo) does an excellent job as an admin, particularly overseeing commissions etc. due to BGG. I know that everyone in this MT will work to ensure that commission is indeed paid on cash transactions. I always look to get cash for games, so I will be one of the bigger users of this (success rate to be determined).

All I would ask Carol is for us poor Europeans to be granted a little leeway this time around. The instructions came on board late and there will be people who have missed them and will still not have seen them before submitting want lists next week. Now I consider myself to be very active on the site and in MTs particularly, but I missed the appearance of this new guideline and I do even look at (very sad!) most of the US and non-UK Math Trades. Heck, I have even taken part in some.

The regulars on here will endeavour to help anyone who has a trade including cash result, but it may be difficult to guarantee absolute compliance. This is no fault of Sharon or anyone else, but simply a result of late and new guidelines coming on board. Please bear with us Carol and we will be squeaky clean next time around - promise. If that is still a problem, I will personally guarantee to add one shiny pound to my 2016 subscription to BGG to cover any and all missing commission payments for this MT. I'm not having UK traders criticised for doing something a little wrong because the goalposts have moved late in the day. Our MTs are normally polite, friendly, fun and successful, so none of us want to jeopardise that. And Carol - you may want to see what my contribution normally is!

Thanks
Chris.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karsten
Germany
flag msg tools
Microbadge: I spend more time on BGG than playing games!Microbadge: 2017 Secret Santa participant Microbadge: The Geek Citizenship Recognition Program Rolls On!Microbadge: Jack Vasel Memorial Fund auction participant - 2017Microbadge: 2017 Christmas Card Exchange participant
negatrev wrote:
This makes it very important that all cash entries have carefully worded their offer. Many people say they will over 'ALL FEES' which under this new requirement would suggest the 3% BGG gets is covered also (this would require a Paypal transfer of the promised total divided by .97 (basically adding 3.1% to the value). Where people say they will cover Paypal fees, it fine as it is.
Has this been addressed yet?

And for something completely different, this Math trade hasn't been announced in the Math Trade Announcements Thread yet. Is it an oversight? Or is UK ONLY maths trade - Subscribe here! the only place where the announcements take place?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [8] |