Canada
Brantford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Greetings!

I have good news, more good news, bad news, good news, and a request.

The good news:
This semester, I’ve been promoted at work to Program Director of the Masters of Science in Library and Information Science program, which is an administrative position where I plan courses, marketing, find adjuncts, and basically run that academic program.

The more good news:
I’m also starting on a new research agenda looking at “Gaming in Libraries.” Many libraries are offering gaming programs, but the focus seems to be on video games. I want to systematically explore the whole spectrum of games as to what formats and types of games would be best for different age groups and demographics based upon the goals of the library.

The bad news:
This means I am swamped. I’m traveling more, I’m in more meetings, and I’m much busier than before. This will ebb and flow as the semester goes, but right now, it is flowing.

Given my new responsibilities, I will not be keeping to a two-week schedule for new episodes. I will continue to do the show, but the shows will come out when I have the time. When I have more free time, you’ll see more episodes, and when I’m very busy, you’ll see fewer. I don’t want to burn out by forcing them out, as that will show in their passion and quality. I also am not going to take shortcuts to “just get them out the door;” I’m making permanent resources at BGWS, and as such, I’m focusing on quality and not quantity.

If you want more videos, I’d encourage you to grab your friends and a camera and make some! Making these has been fun and a great boon to my gaming career, so I would encourage anyone who has the passion to give it a shot!

Finally, the good news again:
I’m working with a few others to do an audio podcast. I will be doing a segment where I explore games that don’t quite drive my passion enough for me to make a video, but I still find have something worth talking about. I’ll post information about this as it becomes available. So, you’ll soon still get your regular dose of Scott, just in easy-to-swallow audio format.

So, here’s my plea:
Please don’t write asking when the next one is coming out. When I have the time, I’ll make one. If I decide to quit making them, I’ll tell everyone.

Thanks for your consideration!

Scott
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hammock Backpacker
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hot Coffee...Mmmmmm
badge
Go Take A Hike!
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats and good luck in your new position. I look forward to hearing what comes of your "Gaming in Libraries" efforts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
yo Scot-tay, will YOU be conducting a "Review" of 'vlog'-reviewers anytime soon, if at all? Please be so kind as to respond in 'kind', or perhaps allow yet another to 'do' just that! While also have someone be AS "uninformative" as that fellow were, since you wouldn't want this to BE seen as having an "equal footing", in all fairness right?
"Keep UP the 'Good JORB'!" in the meantime.
laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Roach
Canada
Brandon
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
good luk on your promotion, perhaps you should consider a reveiw once a month or 1 for each holiday.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Take joy from your wins; take lessons from your losses.
United States
Davidsonville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
    Hang on -- I thought the University gig was your second job. You're not a professional boardgamer?

You could have taken the time to explain that earlier -- would have cut down on the confusion.

Sag.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Iacoucci
Canada
Burlington
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations!

I would love to step up and start making some with friends. Now I just need to get a camcorder.....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
admin
Convention Committee
badge
BGG.CON! BGG.CON SPRING! BGG@SEA!
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats, Scott!

BTW, how did the whole "BGWS Grand DVD Experiment" go? Well enough to make a second volume?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Davidsonville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Kaizen Zanshin wrote:
Congratulations!

I would love to step up and start making some with friends. Now I just need to get a camcorder.....

Don't rule out an inexpensive digital camera. Most have movie capabilities. Given the rez on podcasts you can do pretty well for just a few buckazoids.

Scott's videos stand out because of his presentation method. Tilted table, full-game layout, and of course his scripts. We can steal that.

Sag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain K
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
FYI, back in the 70's my local library had games in circulation. Titles by Avalon Hill and SPI mostly. It provided my first contact with games beyond standard family fare, and I have fond memories of their copies of Panzer Blitz, Blue & Grey, and Feudal.

I think games in libraries are a fantastic thing and applaud your efforts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Davidsonville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
snicholson wrote:
I’m also starting on a new research agenda looking at “Gaming in Libraries.” Many libraries are offering gaming programs, but the focus seems to be on video games. I want to systematically explore the whole spectrum of games as to what formats and types of games would be best for different age groups and demographics based upon the goals of the library.

Scott, should you consider enlisting the help of the Geek army in this cause (approaching local libraries, acting as hosts for game nights, fact-finding if you want to take informal surveys, etc.) please place my name on the list.

Sag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Woodard
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, that's great news and all, but... when's the next episode coming out???
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim K.
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Don't ya hate when life gets in the way of your hobbies? This is exactly why I have opted for no life meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Szukalow
Canada
Langley
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
meh.. wussie! I never let my responsibilities interfere with gaming!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall Miller
United States
Malden
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
The Warren is a roleplaying game about intelligent rabbits trying to make the best of a world filled with hazards, predators and, worst of all, other rabbits.
badge
Marshall is a Boston-based researcher and game designer.
mbmbmbmbmb
Since many people check your site regularly, why don't you host a contest where people make their own vcasts and submit them. Then you could post the "winners". This would calm the demand for more BGWS episodes and give some of the best unknown talent a good outlet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erick Sais
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Scott

This is good news not just for you but for all who love boardgaming. I'm sure your efforts in your new position will bring many more people into this wonderful hobby of ours. laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nicholson
Canada
Brantford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AnakinOU wrote:
Congrats, Scott!

BTW, how did the whole "BGWS Grand DVD Experiment" go? Well enough to make a second volume?

Nope.

I sold 7 through the Web (even being listed in Amazon.com as well). I bought another 20 of them myself, and sold 16 of those at two cons in person.

It took untold hours of work to prepare all of the episodes for DVD, make new music and a menuing system, create graphics for the screens and the insert. I would have made more money for the show working minimum wage for those hours.

DVDs aren't the way to go if the content is also online. If I had released a disc of videos not online, it might have been different. But that's not the goal of my work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
admin
Convention Committee
badge
BGG.CON! BGG.CON SPRING! BGG@SEA!
mbmbmbmbmb
snicholson wrote:
AnakinOU wrote:
Congrats, Scott!

Nope.

I sold 7 through the Web (even being listed in Amazon.com as well). I bought another 20 of them myself, and sold 16 of those at two cons in person.

Holy crap. Only 7? That's sad.

On the other hand, I guess I can brag about being in a rather exclusive club. I'm one 25 people who have seen the long lost Aqua Romana episode of BGWS.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lyman Hurd
United States
Cupertino
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats on the new job. I promise to be patient waiting for new episodes .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
james napoli
United States
Westwood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
library eh, that's great. i'm a huge fan of our local library. Please keep us posted on how that turns out.

i would love to see the games library of bgg.con become a reality for our local library system. =D

but i think just an organized game night at the library would make total sense. i'll get my spiked gloves ready for some rounds of jungle speed =D

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
AnakinOU wrote:
On the other hand, I guess I can brag about being in a rather exclusive club. I'm one 25 people who have seen the long lost Aqua Romana episode of BGWS.
Huh? Did I miss something? I saw Aqua Romana on the BGWS site, did it disappear?

About the DVDs, Scott I think you have it right. I saw that, thought, "Well, that's nice...but I've already seen all the video reviews, and it's handier to watch on my computer than on my TV, so I guess I won't buy it." Probably that's what most people thought.

In any case, congrats on your new jobs, and I look forward to when you have time to do the next BGWS episode!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Woodard
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What's so exclusive about it? I just watched it again today...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nicholson
Canada
Brantford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
(I think he means Aquadukt - that's the one that was a DVD exclusive.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Spode
United States
Melbourne
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaizen Zanshin wrote:
Congratulations!

If you are at all serious I will host on them on my site if you'd like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin H
Canada
Windsor
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
wmshub wrote:
About the DVDs, Scott I think you have it right. I saw that, thought, "Well, that's nice...but I've already seen all the video reviews, and it's handier to watch on my computer than on my TV, so I guess I won't buy it." Probably that's what most people thought.

Yup. Really the only point of owning one of the DVD's (other than the bonus game I've never heard of) would be to use it to show people who don't have an Internet connection...and I don't know any of those people

So BoardGamesWithScott is dead...or mostly dead. That sucks. Who will fill the void? I would think there are enough Geeks on here that someone would give it a go...

And no podcasts please...video reviews are what we need! cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nicholson
Canada
Brantford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MontyCircus wrote:

So BoardGamesWithScott is dead...or mostly dead. :

Now, now, I certainly wouldn't go that far. I am planning to put out one a month, more in the summer months. It just won't be an every-other-week thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.