United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
indigopotter wrote:
That sounds pretty spiffy.
Yes: I'm sure BGG must be planning the same thing - the current methodology is crazy when applied to a lot of nickel and dime items in the WW Promo MT. The effort involved in BGG chasing down and reconciling marketplace entries vs. trades for the odd $0.15 here and there is totally disproportionate to the value involved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmbmb
enoon wrote:
indigopotter wrote:
Yes: I'm sure BGG must be planning the same thing - the current methodology is crazy when applied to a lot of nickel and dime items in the WW Promo MT. The effort involved in BGG chasing down and reconciling marketplace entries vs. trades for the odd $0.15 here and there is totally disproportionate to the value involved.

Considering the amount of effort currently spent in chasing down the odd $15 here and there, I wouldn't worry about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Stephenson
United States
Everett
WA - Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
enoon wrote:
indigopotter wrote:

Since abecorn and the OLWLG aren't part of BGG, there's no easy fix for BGG to do. For them to create a separate posting system just to accommodate math traders would be a fair amount of work. So we've written this to show aldie/dan that we've written our portion of the code (olwlg can use this too). I just need them to honor the userid property of the GeekProduct (bolded entries are where I need BGG to allow what we send).

Here's the code for automating the BGG marketplace entries for accepting cash-equiv entries from abecorn/OLWLG.

public GeekProduct createGeekProduct(){
GeekProduct gp = new GeekProduct();
gp.setUserid(new Long(647703));
BggItem bggItem = new BggItem();
//bggItem.setObjectid(new Long(5985));
gp.setObjectid(new Long(5985));
gp.setObjecttype("thing");
gp.setName("Miscellaneous Game Accessory");
gp.setCurrency("USD");
gp.setInventorytype("onetime");
PaymentMethod pm = new PaymentMethod();
pm.setPaypal(true);
gp.setPaymentmethod(pm);
gp.setItemlocation("United States");
gp.setShiplocation("worldwide");
gp.setCondition("new");
gp.setNotes("Please send payment via Paypal only");
gp.setPrice(new Double(20));
gp.setAction("saveproduct");
gp.setAjax(new Integer(1));
gp.setAppKey("33jjfsojjfllejfllsjjflsj"); <----------- BGG could use this to uniquely identify us. All they have to do is make some password and give it to us. When they receive our POST they just see if our appkey matches what they have and they can go ahead and honor the userid we set and let us post geek products for our users.
return gp;
}

public String generateGeekProductInBgg(GeekProduct geekProduct) throws Exception{
String productUrl = null;

Map<String, NewCookie> cookies = BggLogin.login("USER", "PASS");

NewCookie replacement = new NewCookie("bggusername",".....");
cookies.remove("bggusername");
cookies.put("bggusername", replacement);
Client client = ClientBuilder.newClient();
client.register(new CookieRequestFilter(cookies));

String url = "http://boardgamegeek.com/geekmarket.php";

WebTarget target = client.target(url);

Response response = null;
try {

response = target.request().post(Entity.json(geekProduct));
if (response.getStatus() != 200) {
throw new Exception(response.getStatusInfo().getReasonPhrase());
}
productUrl = (String)response.readEntity(String.class);

} finally {
response.close();
}
return productUrl;
}

login POST code:

public class BggLogin {
public static Map<String, NewCookie> login(String username, String password) throws Exception{
Client client = ClientBuilder.newClient();

String url = "http://boardgamegeek.com/login?username="+username+"&password="+password+"&B1=Submit";
LoginForm loginForm = new LoginForm();
loginForm.setB1("Submit");
loginForm.setUsername(username);
loginForm.setPassword(password);
WebTarget target = client.target(url);
Response response = null;
Map<String, NewCookie> cookies = null;
try {
response = target.request().post(Entity.json(loginForm));
if (response.getStatus() != 200) {
throw new Exception(response.getStatusInfo().getReasonPhrase());
}

cookies = response.getCookies();

System.out.println(cookies.size());

} finally {
response.close();
}
return cookies;
}
}
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Gatti
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hopefully you meant "https" in all places that you wanted to transfer any user/password/financial information to/from BGG? Please?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Stephenson
United States
Everett
WA - Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rgatti wrote:
Hopefully you meant "https" in all places that you wanted to transfer any user/password/financial information to/from BGG? Please?

The login does not/will not use anyone else's login information. The point of asking Aldie to honor the userid is because we would never ask anyone for their bgg password. All information we are posting to the marketplace is suitable for public consumption. That being said, all of this happens on our back end, secured at https://services.abecorn.com. We will be talking to bgg in production at bgg's https:// endpoints. The code will be modified accordingly to use java keystores that import bgg's certificates as trusted certificates. While making the request from aldie, the code is kept as clear as possible to focus on our request of having the seller be identified with the publicly available userid. We are not posting any passwords or financial information regardless. We are simply posting the public information used to make a geek product.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan T
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
badge
mb
indigopotter wrote:
Any Math Trader who accepts a cash value trade (a numerical amount via gift card, gift certificate, PayPal, actual cash, etc.) is conducting a direct sale through the site and is subject to the associated commission fee (3%) required by the Terms of Service just as with any other sale.

After the trade, the person receiving the GC/PayPal/cash creates a Geek Market listing, and the person sending the GC/PayPal/cash buys it.

Reference: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/20602976#20602976

Step-by-Step:

1. Create a Geek Market listing (Miscellaneous Game Accessory is a good default option).

Direct link: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geekmarket/sell?objecttype=thin...

2. Send the link to the Geek Market listing to the person sending the GC/PayPal/cash so that they can buy it.

3. Once an item is bought, it will need to be confirmed. You can see it under your Recent Sales in the Geek Market.

Direct link: http://boardgamegeek.com/geekmarket/account/sales

Click the sale ID of the listing that you wish to confirm.

Click "Confirm Transaction."

4. Once the commission amount is over the minimum, you can pay what is owed through http://boardgamegeek.com/geekmarket/account/paycommission

Do you need to click "Ship Order" also?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
We always have time for the things we put first.
mbmbmbmbmb
You can. Some people click the shipped buttons, or paid buttons, so that everything's done, but some of those features are to help you track the order, and don't make a difference on commission.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marina SC
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a participant in a math trade that just closed, and there's been some confusion about whether it is okay to setup and buy your own transaction. In my case, I'm receiving a $21 gift card--is it okay to create the listing and buy it myself, then pay the resulting $0.63 commission? Some people are saying that doing it that way it makes it harder to track whether a commission has been paid.

If there is an appreciable difference to BGG I will do it the way as posted at the beginning of this thread, but if there's no real difference then I'd rather setup/buy myself so I don't have to wait on other people and can do it all in one go Which method should I use?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mashpotassium wrote:
I'm a participant in a math trade that just closed, and there's been some confusion about whether it is okay to setup and buy your own transaction. In my case, I'm receiving a $21 gift card--is it okay to create the listing and buy it myself, then pay the resulting $0.63 commission? Some people are saying that doing it that way it makes it harder to track whether a commission has been paid.

If there is an appreciable difference to BGG I will do it the way as posted at the beginning of this thread, but if there's no real difference then I'd rather setup/buy myself so I don't have to wait on other people and can do it all in one go Which method should I use?

You can buy it yourself. Some people do it that way, some people want the feedback from doing it from others, some people need a little more help and have me or Octavian walk them through it. As long as the $21 gets bought, it matters not by whom.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll add, usually the questions I get are from the GIVER, who want to do the transaction so they can pay the commission, making it more attractive to the people receiving the money. In that case, it would not work, because it needs to be reflected on the receiver's account. Since you are the receiver and the transaction is on your account, it's fine.

It's also fine, if you receive three $20 gift cards (let's say), to do one $60 transaction for the math trade, like the way auctions can do one combined total. As long as the total received matches the total transactions in your account, it's fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marina SC
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the explanations!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo Desalvo
Italy
Country side area north of Rome
flag msg tools
badge
I'm a feder-allergic and I blame the Klingon for not having smashed the Federation in time to save us from Star Trek serials.
mbmbmbmbmb
There is just a question from one of the Italian math traders. He got money during the math trade, started the procedure to pay them, summed all the due amounts, and went he went to pay he was said that he will receive the payment link when the amount will excite the € 2,00. What he should do? Wait?

For your reference his message Re: Math Trade Italia - Aprile 2016 - Discussione Ufficiale

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have less than € 2,00 (or $2.00) due in commission, there won't be a payment button in the commission tab

https://boardgamegeek.com/geekmarket/account/paycommission

The message will say,

"(your balance is less than $2.00. When your balance is greater than, $2.00, we will provide a Paypal link for paying your balance.)"

So, yes, you should put through the marketplace listing, but you don't have to do anything with paying the commission until it is over € 2,00 (or $2.00).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo Desalvo
Italy
Country side area north of Rome
flag msg tools
badge
I'm a feder-allergic and I blame the Klingon for not having smashed the Federation in time to save us from Star Trek serials.
mbmbmbmbmb
indigopotter wrote:
If you have less than € 2,00 (or $2.00) due in commission, there won't be a payment button in the commission tab

https://boardgamegeek.com/geekmarket/account/paycommission

The message will say,

"(your balance is less than $2.00. When your balance is greater than, $2.00, we will provide a Paypal link for paying your balance.)"

So, yes, you should put through the marketplace listing, but you don't have to do anything with paying the commission until it is over € 2,00 (or $2.00).

Perfect. They will wait without worrying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sal Armata

Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hello everyone, I am still relatively new to Math Trades and I have a question that I could not find the answer to... When adding a "sweetener", is one allowed to add cash or GC or is this specifically reserved for another game, promo, etc...?

If this is in fact allowed, how would the receiver enter the transaction in the geek market (assume Codenames is the traded game and $10 is the "sweetener"). I assume it would be for the total value of the game plus cash?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You only need to make a listing for the cash value/gift card amount, not for any physical games traded. For a physical copy of Codenames and a $10 gc, just make a listing for $10. Miscellaneous Game Accessory is always a good item to use.

In terms of sweetener (or cash value items in general), that varies from math trade to math trade.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
South Lyon
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mich_Sal wrote:
Hello everyone, I am still relatively new to Math Trades and I have a question that I could not find the answer to... When adding a "sweetener", is one allowed to add cash or GC or is this specifically reserved for another game, promo, etc...?

If this is in fact allowed, how would the receiver enter the transaction in the geek market (assume Codenames is the traded game and $10 is the "sweetener"). I assume it would be for the total value of the game plus cash?

Thanks in advance for the help.

If it is allowed would be up to the rules of the particular math trade you're participating in. Ask the organizer if you need clarification on that.

The transaction for the geek market would be for $10 since that is the amount of cash received.

edit: ninja Admin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sal Armata

Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for the super quick reply!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Thompson
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
Why is Miscellaneous Game Accessory a good item to use, rather than the actual game that is being traded?

Say I trade Dixit for $20 cash. I understand that the person sending the cash isn't actually receiving Dixit, but I am receiving the cash directly in exchange for it. If I'm going to complete the whole transaction myself, wouldn't it be better for that transaction to be recorded under Dixit rather than Miscellaneous Game Accessory so that future Marketplace visitors could see that a copy of Dixit "sold" for $20?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
themilkcrate wrote:
Why is Miscellaneous Game Accessory a good item to use, rather than the actual game that is being traded?

Say I trade Dixit for $20 cash. I understand that the person sending the cash isn't actually receiving Dixit, but I am receiving the cash directly in exchange for it. If I'm going to complete the whole transaction myself, wouldn't it be better for that transaction to be recorded under Dixit rather than Miscellaneous Game Accessory so that future Marketplace visitors could see that a copy of Dixit "sold" for $20?

It's fine to use the actual game if you get $20 for Dixit.

If you were doing a bundle for a whole auction, it would throw off the results to put $300 for Dixit. Plus, having one default place lets me put a link in instructions:

https://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/GeekList_auction#toc4
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Thompson
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
I appreciate you pointing out how a bundle price listed under one game throws off the results. I find it frustrating when sellers post in that fashion.

I hadn't thought about the advantage of being able to post the link. That makes a lot of sense. Thanks for the clarification and quick response!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karlyn Singh
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So how does one pay the commission when the object being traded is an actual physical (or electronic) gift card? The method described in the OP seems to only support direct money transfers. Or am I missing something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kuolema wrote:
So how does one pay the commission when the object being traded is an actual physical (or electronic) gift card? The method described in the OP seems to only support direct money transfers. Or am I missing something?

It doesn't matter the payment method (cash, gift card, paypal, check). That happens directly between the buyer and seller. The marketplace just calculates the commission (and allows feedback). You make a listing for the amount, however the amount changes hands. Then you'll pay the commission by PayPal (or check) to BGG once the total is over $2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karlyn Singh
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
indigopotter wrote:

It doesn't matter the payment method (cash, gift card, paypal, check). That happens directly between the buyer and seller. The marketplace just calculates the commission (and allows feedback). You make a listing for the amount, however the amount changes hands. Then you'll pay the commission by PayPal (or check) to BGG once the total is over $2.

Ah, thank you. I've never used the marketplace and didn't realize that orders and payment are separate like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wiebke Timm
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What about crypto currencies? In Germany, for example BTC or Litecoin are not recognized as a currency at all. If I make a trade of a game for, say, BTC, does it cost commission?

(Stupid question really, just trying to point out that you may want to address this somewhere... I assume this would cost commision like a gift card would, which is not currency either...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  3 , 4 , 5 , 6 , 7  Next »  [7] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.