Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
77 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Podcasts & Blogs

Subject: The Ultimate Podcast is Here! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: podcast [+] league [+] NSFW [+] lets_treat_women_like_meat [+] [View All]
Eric Knauer
United States
Heathrow
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nitpick- intro music is way too long including music between segments (over 3 minutes).

Is your profile complete? You only own one game?

Update-

Ok, I think the personal stuff is going to get old real quick. Overall, the tone of the show is negative and condescending. I’m sorry-boardgaming combined with Texas swagger and is a bit absurd. I’ll give it another listen (hopefully it will be an acquired taste), but unless you talk about more substantive gaming issues and less ridiculous smack talk, I won’t be listening again.

All in all, this is a very bizarre new boardgaming podcast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just another Steve
United States
Allen Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
I'm about half through. I don't agree with a lot of what you say, but you've definitely come out of the box with a great podcast from a production standpoint.
Bubbles deserve a platinum pawn as the best podcast producer of the year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nairb Attobas
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm only about halfway, but I, too, am pretty impressed.

Mr. Weeks, for as maniacal as you come across here on BGG, you seem pretty level-headed in real life. It's a shame that the majority of folks on this site at this point will probably just disregard anything you create since you do bring up some interesting points in your podcast.

Anyhoo, good job.

thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Barnes
United States
Decatur
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
SLAM FUCKING DUNK.

Fresh opinions that don't parrot back the same BGG "party line" shit over and over again, great production, honesty, and above all else- HUMOUR.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Woodard
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bumper music levels are a bit high. I had the volume up trying to listen to you and when the music kicked in, my ears started bleeding.

Fun podcast so far, though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Barnes
United States
Decatur
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Quote:
when the music kicked in, my ears started bleeding.

I think that was the point...Weeks told me that he actually coined the phrase "If it's too loud, you're too old".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steve
United States
SE
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
quite the provocative show.. enjoyed it!

Are you also the lead-singer? enjoyed the music as well.. At first I too thought the bumper music was too long, but after a few, I quite enjoyed the break.. loved the "radio" type format.. One of the few board gaming podcasts that I actually listened the whole way through.

My only concern would be if the content gets stale, or if you can come up with fresh content each show..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Brooks
United States
Maple Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty new to this podcast stuff. Can I find this on iTunes?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Dyer
United States
Playa Del Rey
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If Rush Limbaugh had half a brain (that would be a considerable increase)
and played board games, this would be his podcast. It's content free,
and thoroughly enjoyable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zopper Alf
Germany
Mannheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great show! I really enjoyed listening to it.
A big "Panzerfaust up!" from germany.
Simon

btw, one small complaint: the music is a bit too redneckish

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Entertaining! Weeks, you have an engaging style and Bubbles did a great job.

Just one suggestion... next time drink the whole bottle of Mescal before you start the show and please.... don't be so coy when it comes to voicing your opinion. Just tell us what you really think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just finished listening to this.

The delivery is good -- well spoken, articulate, and there's no doubting the position of the host. Production values are good, except for the volume and length of the musical breaks. It's more than a little annoying that I need to adjust the volume between segments. Call me old if you like, but I'd rather the volume to be consistent between bits.

As for the content, I was a bit disappointed. I know you need to start somewhere, but I hope future episodes will deal more with the games and less with how you feel about a particular site on the 'Net. For a board game podcast, there was precious little discussion about boardgames. Or maybe I just misinterpreted the goal of the podcast...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
I would do all the things I have ever dreamed of doing. I would love to become a professional whistler.I'm pretty amazing at it now, but I wanna get, like, even better. Make my living out of it.
badge
Bffffttt, Pffffttt, Buuuuurtt........
mbmbmbmbmb
If he had spent any time telling me what games he does like and why he likes them it might have been interesting. Technically, the podcast was well done, even if the music portions were superfluous. Ragging on people and games he doesn't like in the name of satire isn't entertaining. (I listened to the first 30 minutes completely, after that I choose to keep skipping ahead to listen to another few minutes, hoping it would get better.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Martin
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great show Steve. Finally a gaming podcast with some teeth!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Bohrer
United States
Hereford
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eknauer wrote:
... but unless you talk about more substantive gaming issues and less ridiculous smack talk, I won’t be listening again.

Substantive. Gaming. Issues.

Eric, tell me you were saying this tongue in cheek.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nicholson
Canada
Brantford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for spending the time to do this. It is nice to see some of the thought and reasoning behind different viewpoints than what are typically expressed here on BGG.

Good Stuff:
- Original music was nice
- You expressed opinions without using "weasel words"
- Thank you for editing!
- Voice quality was very listenable - the show had good production values.
- It didn't put me to sleep; you showed emotion in your voice.
- You worked to entertain us.

Constructive Criticisms:
- Write and publish a mission statement. What is the goal of the podcast? From this episode, it sounds like the primary goal is critique of other personalities, Web sites, and events in the board game community; that can certainly be your goal, but it would be better to help the listeners expect that. Also, writing the mission statement helps you make better choices about what to focus on. I'm noticing a number of complaints that you didn't talk about games - having an upfront mission statement about what your goal is will help avoid people having a misconception about the point of the show. If it's not your goal to focus on the games themselves, let people know that.

- Even out the music levels with the voice so that listeners don't have to adjust the volume between music and vocal sections.

- Shorten the music segments. For a board game podcast (the Ultimate one, as you say), non-board game related music drew away from the flow of the show. In this case, using 20 seconds from a song and then pointing people to a place where they can hear it all would allow you to market your music more effectively. People who like it can then enjoy more of it. People who don't like it will be less likely to shut it off.

- Spread the humor segments throughout the show. I really enjoyed the last two segments, and they would have provided a nice break earlier in the show. That way, you can end with a content-based segment that's important to you and that you want people to remember. (People tend to remember the first and last thing you present.)

- I noted your Arch-enemies list, which reminded me of Colbert's On Notice list. One thing he does is that he talks about what each person has done to offend and what they would have to do to be removed. Is there a way that Aldie, Greg, or Tom could come off of your list? If so, offering that as a challenge (as a constructive way to help them improve) would make for an interesting series of segments. That way, not only do you voice your opinion about the board game community, but you also offer constructive criticism as to how it could be improved. (The key part of offering constructive criticism is being specific and offering suggestions for improvement; you did a good job of that with the Tichu Whore and Whatever discussions.)

- Create a Web presence for the show where you can present links to each episode (with an RSS feed that you can put into Itunes), history behind why each Arch Enemy is on the list and how they could be removed, links to your music and the winners of your Platinum Pawns, and other ways to follow up with content you presented.

Overall, you've done a good job. I'd give you a 7..er... a 3... er.. an B.. umm.. 4 stars.. ugh...never mind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Knauer
United States
Heathrow
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Substantive. Gaming. Issues.

Eric, tell me you were saying this tongue in cheek.

Sorry to say, but I wasn't. Believe me, the bar is not set that high. By “substantive”, I mean anything related to boardgaming that doesn’t primarily involve ragging on other gaming personalities. Heck, I don’t even mind that as long as it’s funny.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Barnes
United States
Decatur
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Quote:
unless you talk about more substantive gaming issues and less ridiculous smack talk, I won’t be listening again.

Unless there's LESS talk about "substantive gaming issues" (whatever those are- I guess that means discussing "the luck factor" in certain games or "concerns" about "clever" mechanics...or maybe it just means "luggage") and MORE ridiculous smack talk, I won't be listening again.

Jeez, you guys are easy marks...I mean come on, these verbose criticisms, all this silly language about "substantive gaming issues"...maybe a review of that new Ragnar Bros. game cANAL MANIA would have been in order?

"Hmm...I'm a bit concerned about how you lifted your hand...no, no- the knuckles should be at more of a 90 degree angle...thumb goes OVER the fingers...oh, and one more thing, the middle finger should be extended just a little bit more."

Tom, Aldie, and the Schloessinator should have NO recourse, NO quarter, and NO pardon...their crimes are both too nebulously immense and too unforgivable and they should remain a permanent fixture in the Axis of Board Game Politicianism. Are they afraid? "They should be".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Derk appears from the mists...
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Good effort. Truly. You're clearly much more of a radio professional than I was.

I will say this, and leave it alone. As easy as it is to be negative, it's that difficult to be positive. It's fascinating how 'work' that I did years ago is still the best example to compare against?

On a personal note, I've never 'pulled' my opinions 'cuz I was afraid of the reactions from publishers, etc. Rather I have tempered my opinions a bit because I realized how my personal gaming experiences were so incredibly subjective (after so many years of gaming) that the 'strong' opinions you cite weren't so strong. My revelation: who you play your game with and what mood you're in when you play the game has more to do with the game experience than the intrinsic quality of the game.

Finally, I'm appalled you didn't know how I would answer your desert island question. I mean, c'mon. Ginger was one hot tamale!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Knauer
United States
Heathrow
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Jeez, you guys are easy marks

I think this would make a good mission statement for the show.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. B.
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You had me at the Bikini Babe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Barnes
United States
Decatur
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Quote:

*GASP* YOU SEXIST!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Carlson
United States
Wheaton
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
...what? sorry...been staring at the hottie for about 20 minutes....not sure what we are talking about anymore.

Anyway....(damn that pic is nice!)....good start. I'd like to hear more about the games though. I think we all get your opinion about certain people. The whole freakin show was about that, so its drilled into our heads. But, unless there is stuff on actual games...why you like or hate, then I don't feel the need to listen to another show.

...unless you post pics of Bubbles (and not pictures of actual bubbles, but of her...i want to determine if we have the same measure of hotness). Cause then I'll listen every time!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. B.
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
crackedlcd81 wrote:
Quote:

*GASP* YOU SEXIST!

Oh, it's okay. I was being... er... ironic. Yeah.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Barnes
United States
Decatur
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Quote:
Oh, it's okay. I was being... er... ironic. Yeah.

Sure you were...that was Daredevil's defense after this picture was taken by a paparazzi- he also claimed that he (quote) "couldn't see her ass anyway".

It was later revealed that Steve Weeks had somehow gotten a hold of a Daredevil costume.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.