Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
77 Posts
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Podcasts & Blogs

Subject: The Ultimate Podcast is Here! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: podcast [+] league [+] NSFW [+] lets_treat_women_like_meat [+] [View All]
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
The geeklist associated with this podcast is no longer available as the "user" who created it was deleted for being a duplicate account.

-MMM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Necessary Evil
United States
Glen Arm
Maryland
flag msg tools
Yes, I play the Bass.
badge
Sweet Holy Moses, Fruit F*cker Prime!
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve,

Well done pod cast. The quality of hte show itself is top notch.

I hope that you can find enough contect to keep this going. As someone who puts himself on the American side of any gaming divide I would be nce to have a legitimate podcast that talks about that aspect of the hobby.

As for direct comments about the show.

I like the music, it may be much to put hte whole tune in there but I think the style fits the show. I dig that latin mojo tune.

As for the content, I feel you did a good job establishing yourself and what the show will be about. I would hope the next show would focus a bit more on what ameritrash has to offer that sets it apart from eurogames. You talk a lot about showing people the way and changing thier minds about eurogames, well its time to put your money where your mouth is. (I would be happy to help if need be)

As for the BGG/Aldie bashing. I say cut him some slack. They guy has the best game site around, a site that is responcible for your entire audience. All of this has been a labor of love for him so I think it would add to the shows legitimacy to let the aldie comments go.

Other than that I look forward tot he next show.

-M

Oh yeah, count me in the mary ann camp.... then again she an ginger shared a hut

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. B.
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Huh. "Bubbles McFadden" sure sounded like a real name.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim K.
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Well, for someone who appreciates punches not being pulled, here are my negative opinions about your show:

I couldn't stop laughing at the intro music. If comedy was the intent, mission accomplished. Your bad Elvis impersonator impersonation is SPOT ON! The rest of the music was like uninvited NASCAR beer commercial breaks.

The only thing worse than [perceived] pervasive lame content is a show whining non-stop about pervasive lame content without actually delivering compelling content of its own.

While there's no way to know what the eventual format of the show might be, this show was pretty much entirely about your petty issues with gaming personalities and hardly anything about actual games. If I wanted trash talking I'd go listen to housewives gossiping at the local salon. And the really ironic thing about all of it is that you talk like someone trying to start a bar fight but you're talking about little girly boardgames ferchrissake! Too funny.

Suggestions for improvement:

-Ditch the music breaks
-Ditch the condescending, holier-than-thou attitude
-Discuss actual games and your opinions about them

Was there anything I liked about the show? Not really.

WHAT-ever!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
crackedlcd81 wrote:
Quote:
unless you talk about more substantive gaming issues and less ridiculous smack talk, I won’t be listening again.

Unless there's LESS talk about "substantive gaming issues" (whatever those are- I guess that means discussing "the luck factor" in certain games or "concerns" about "clever" mechanics...or maybe it just means "luggage") and MORE ridiculous smack talk, I won't be listening again.

Straight from the jackass horse's mouth. At least it's crystal clear now that game talk takes a back seat to smack talk when it comes to Barnes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Barnes
United States
Decatur
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If "game talk" means pussyfooting around with noncommital, dispassionate comments like "I don't care for this game but someone else might like it" and harping on about perceived "serious issues" in a hobby intended to be about having fun, than sign me up for more of that smack, baby. I ain't no junkie though, I can stop any time I'm ready.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
badge
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
mbmbmbmbmb
Isn't "Bubbles McFadden" a character in the old Firesign Theater skits?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. B.
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EvilTimmy wrote:

-Ditch the music breaks
-Ditch the condescending, holier-than-thou attitude
-Discuss actual games and your opinions about them

DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES "DITCH THE MUSIC BREAKS"!!! I WILL IMMEDIATELY WITHDRAW ALL SUPPORT FROM THE "UNTOUCHABLE GAMERS"!!! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wilder
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Clarification, please?
I know that you said that for your Game of the Year award that it can be released right up until the end of the year, but how is Railroad Tycoon nominated when it was released in 2005?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love a show that has Arch Enemies! Man, I wish I had an Arch Enemy, or better yet, I wish I was somebody's Arch Enemy! What do I have to do - where do I sign up???

A pretty funny, cool, podcast - good first show!!! thumbsup

BTW - loved the tunes!!!!!!! Rawk On!!!devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wilder
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After listening to the (entire) show, I have to compare it to a Rush Limbaugh or Al Franken political show. Great production values (though the music isn't my taste), a very good "radio" voice, and a good pace and conversational tone. Unfortunately, like the political shows, it's all about trashing the perceived enemy instead of providing supporting data to their own opinion.

I like American-style games and had (perhaps foolishly) hoped that Mr. Weeks would actually provide some insight on what games he enjoyed and why, but all I remember hearing is that he liked Cave Troll and his three Game of the Year nominees, but no insight at all into why he feels they're good games.

I appreciate the effort, but the show just isn't to my taste.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Knauer
United States
Heathrow
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
If "game talk" means pussyfooting around with noncommital, dispassionate comments like "I don't care for this game but someone else might like it" and harping on about perceived "serious issues" in a hobby intended to be about having fun, than sign me up for more of that smack, baby.

Believe me; I prefer strong opinions about games whether positive or negative. Sadly, this show lacked any of that. The only smack talk concerning gaming consisted of him saying how much he loves Battelore.

Speaking of meaningful criticism, if anyone is interested in a substantive and entertaining discussion, check out the review of Battlelore in a recent episode of Geeknights-

http://www.frontrowcrew.com/?cat=22

The review starts at the 21:40 mark.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
My conclusion from the original post is that this is a podcast done by sexually frustrated 12 year olds. Is it worth giving it a listen? Someone let me know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Bretsch
United States
University City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. I dislike podcasts in general... but decided to listen to this. This is less of a podcast than than an hour long personal pod-vendetta... with music.

But dude, this WAS personal... with repetitive disclaimers to the contrary simply argumentum ad infinitum.

Things I agree with:

1. I would agree with the concluding assessment about the Boardgamespeak/Reiner Knizia interview... but for differing reasons. To discuss it further I would doubt to be constructive.... as Boardgamespeak isn't even in existence now and the interview is over a year old.

2. A good issue was made regarding reviewers receiving free copies of games and the consequent veracity of the review opinions so rendered. With some additional substantive reasoning behind the original premise, this could have made for an interesting discussion.

Things I disagee with:

Never underestimate Mary Ann. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. B.
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this podcast provides a valuable service to us all. Namely, it is an object lesson in why one should take a break from Board Game Geek every once in a while. "Listen, children, and don't get too worked up about the new moderation award system you could wind up like the*mad*gamer!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris May
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Feeling lucky punk? Well, do ya?
mbmbmbmbmb
I was very interested in this podcast. However, I was very disappointed. Steve, you kept saying this was about ideas, but i never really heard any ideas. It may not have been true "personal attacks", but it was certainly not constructive. You said you were pointing greg and tom back on the right path, but all you did was make juvenile comments.

You've made the argument that if you put your material on BGG it is up for review. I agree with that. This podcast sucks. What a waste of time. Next time you should include all of those ideas you alluded to and talk about some games. I agree with you that people take games too seriously, so I'm not making too big a deal of this, but I did waste an hour of my life listening.

As for the censorship issue, this is a place of business for Aldie. If a large group of people are offended by some of your comments he is well within his right to censor. If you said some of the stuff you say here at my work, I'd have to call the police on you. If a lot of people were to leave the site due to offense that would cause a loss of revenue due to advertising. Would you let people come to your place of work and act the fool?

"Free speech is what it is all about" No it's not. Money is what it's all about. That is the pure facts.

My two cents worth anyway. I don't have time to put together a quality broadcast like your's so I will just leave it at this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Have not yet listened to the podcast. No idea why we are talking about censorship.

However I'll remind everyone that censoring can only be done by the government. The government is obligated to give you freedom of speech. Proprietors of websites are not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon W.
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Quote:
My revelation: who you play your game with and what mood you're in when you play the game has more to do with the game experience than the intrinsic quality of the game.

So incredibly true.

Edit: Just listened to the podcast. What a waste of time. If you enjoy the ravings of a self important charlatan, look no further.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
Wankel engine
mbmbmb
derk wrote:
My revelation: who you play your game with and what mood you're in when you play the game has more to do with the game experience than the intrinsic quality of the game.

Yes, I'd say the people I play with can affect my opinion of a game by a full point, maybe more. I initially rated Java a 9, but after a couple of unpleasant games with players who complained a lot or took forever with their turns, I had to downgrade it to a 7. I imagine if I played again with my gaming buddies, it might go up to an 8.

Quote:
Finally, I'm appalled you didn't know how I would answer your desert island question. I mean, c'mon. Ginger was one hot tamale!!

I prefer the country girl look. Mary Ann was smokin.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just another Steve
United States
Allen Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
desertfox2004 wrote:
I love a show that has Arch Enemies! Man, I wish I had an Arch Enemy, or better yet, I wish I was somebody's Arch Enemy! What do I have to do - where do I sign up???

That is the most ridiculuous thing I've ever heard. Why the heck would having an enemies list make a show better. Why on earth would anyone want to have an enemy?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Gritt
United Kingdom
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow Steve! Want can I say? That picture of you in the opening of this thread is a STUNNER. Seriously, why not go for a videocast, rather than a podcast? With those pins you'd look fabulous carrying on Scott Nicholson's fine tradition of presenting in a kilt. And you could do kittenish clawing at the screen as you make your bitchy cat calls. Hey, how's this for a gimmick- you could drink milk from a saucer in the opening credits?

The disconnect between the voice and the body might be a little off-putting, but we love our "exotics" here in the Old World.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mib668 wrote:
desertfox2004 wrote:

That is the most ridiculuous thing I've ever heard. Why the heck would having an enemies list make a show better. Why on earth would anyone want to have an enemy?

Excellent! I see you have altered your badge to declare me an enemy, perhaps even an arch-enemy! Finally, I'm someone's arch-enemy!

Yeah, it's ridiculous - when I heard Mad Steve state that there were "Arch-Enemies" of the show, I just about fell off of my chair laughing. What a ridiculous concept, which, in fact, is what I like about this podcast - its silly, way over-the-top, approach. Anyone taking this seriously is completely off-base, if you ask me. It's a goof, a big inside joke, but hey, I found parts of it amusing. Some people responding to this thread just seem to be taking the whole affair a bit too earnestly. Now, like any other stunt, it will grow old unless Steve can come up with some more content, but that's his challenge, to keep it interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Leventhal
United States
Unspecified
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
I wish there was some actual content here. You kept pace really well. You did a good job with all the technical aspects. But you did not give me any reason to come back for another.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Johnson
United States
Independence
Missouri
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Having just listened to the podcast, I have to say... Im not sure what I think. I listen to a lot of podcasts, and yours sounds professional.
I don't quite understand...
...You speak out against the 'Whiners' on the geek, and then spend 20 of the 65 minutes whining. I understand why you and the league are unhappy with your lot on the Geek... I just don't care.

I can appreciate the negative approach to Vasal, Schloesser, and even BGG. A little of that goes a long way. If your future podcasts entail less time shadow boxing your oppressors and instead voicing your detailed counterpoints to their popular opinions... then I'll keep listening.

Also... I thought it was a step in the right direction to point us to Greg's review of Cave Troll. By doing that, I was able to see for myself what you are talking about in reference to Greg's other reviews.

As for the BGG bashing... Im just plain tired of that.

I'll tune in for a second dose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Bohrer
United States
Hereford
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Enjoyed the show; I'm a fan of attack radio, though. A I'd enjoy it if it were a little less BGG-centered. There are PLENTY of 'snoot targets out there worth the time. I had no problems with the volume levels.

I think if anyone takes the personalities addressed so seriously as to be offended at the "attacks" you might wanna take a good close look at your life(?).

Gotta get ol' Bubbles up here though.

And one criticism:

1. Quit bein' such a candyass. Don't back off. Ideas, hell, go for the throat, man!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.