Subject: Werewolf (Mock) Math Trades rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
    Conserve energy:     Play Board Games!
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
Some say the world will end in fire, Some say in ice. From what I’ve tasted of desire I hold with those who favor fire. But if it had to perish twice, I think I know enough of hate To say that for destruction ice Is also great And would suffice.
badge
Shake your business up and pour it. I don't have all day.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello! I started this thread to be the place in our little corner of the world dedicated to math trades and more specifically, how to participate in them using the Online Wish List Generator (OLWLG).

Now, I do loves me some Beo-ratory, but the best way to learn about math trades is to participate in one! Not in a binding, "I really don't want to trade anything right now and you forced me to get rid of my favorite game EVAR" sort of way, but rather in a "Let's just throw stuff at the system and see what falls out" kind of way. With that in mind, let's start with a mock math trade!

Werewolf Mock Math Trade

It's highly probable that I don't know what I'm doing as far as running this thing. I will be plagiarizing heavily from MyParadox's efforts over in the OC Village guild. Any additional help and advice is appreciated! So without further ado, let's get this thing started.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
Some say the world will end in fire, Some say in ice. From what I’ve tasted of desire I hold with those who favor fire. But if it had to perish twice, I think I know enough of hate To say that for destruction ice Is also great And would suffice.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Add any games to the math trade that you would like to (pretend to) trade. Submissions are open until Wednesday, December 16. Once the submissions close, then you can submit want lists until Sunday. It's a little bit of a tight turnaround, but it's just for funsies.

Make sure to familiarize yourself with the Online Want List Generator (OLWLG). You can find it here: http://bgg.activityclub.org/olwlg/

For new users, definitely check out some of the great tutorials that have been written on it. You can find a bunch:

Math trade wiki
Math Trades for Dummies (I used this when I first started trading)
OLWLG Wiki
Video Tutorials (also very helpful)

You can add games you'd like to trade on the geeklist directly or using the OLWLG tool. Either works.

Feel free to add whatever you want. Including games you don't own, video games, Christmas cookies, or whatever. The trade results will be totally non-binding in this mock math trade. So just have fun with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. When you post your game(s) to the GeekList, you should include a short blurb describing its condition. That's the minimum.

2. It's helpful if you include a line about the edition or the version.

3. Ditto language, especially if it isn't in English.

4. If we were really trading games as a result, then you should also include how much of the shipping costs you're willing to bear. The assumption is that the game's original owner pays for shipping to the new recipient unless otherwise specified. Obviously that's important if you're having to ship your copy of Mega Civilization to Siberia.

5. Once you have posted your item to the GeekList, DO NOT DELETE IT. Apparently Bad Things can happen if you do so. Editing it is fine if you want to add information and/or sweeteners, or else "remove" it from the MT by adding an altname tag like so:

+altname+ Removed from trade -altname-

6. Feel free to offer items other than board games, video games, or role-playing games. If you do, then you can use the entry "Outside the Scope of BGG" as a placeholder. Be sure to specify what you're offering using the "altname" format listed above. That way the OLWLG will display your item correctly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val K
United States
Bowie
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc
mbmbmbmbmb
[insert inarticulate noises] Shiny!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avin Fernando
United States
Pittsburgh
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Why only a mock one? Why not a real one?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth BK
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shushnik wrote:
Its mama wears combat boots.
Would have done a spit-take just now
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Avin wrote:
Because we have some folks who aren't familiar with MT's and the OLWLG. I figure we do a dry run first, and then if we're so inclined we can run a second one for realsies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
United States
flag msg tools
Ah. Gotcha.

Also, didn't realize you were posting more guidance. Sorry. Deleting my original post momentarily.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would totally do an actual WW math trade. Though, I dunno if it's allowed (by OLWLG) to hold a shipping math trade restricted to our community, or if we'd get enough items to have it be worthwhile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Buss
United States
Muncie
Indiana
flag msg tools
"It seems, that is, I may have become, quite by accident, the chosen, what what?"
badge
“Here is my secret. It's quite simple: One sees clearly only with the heart. Anything essential is invisible to the eyes.” ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, Petit Prince
Beowulf wrote:
Avin wrote:
Because we have some folks who aren't familiar with MT's and the OLWLG. I figure we do a dry run first, and then if we're so inclined we can run a second one for realsies.
I love it!

I've got a few trades under my belt, so any way I can help, let me know!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
hibou
United States
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
With Trigun being this lock consensus good read for so many people, I find it really bizarre that she's alive. There's a threshold where if she's still alive she should probably be murdalated.
badge
Born to be a king, I ask one thing in return: a front seat to watch Earth burn.
mbmbmbmbmb
worshipsf wrote:
I would totally do an actual WW math trade. Though, I dunno if it's allowed (by OLWLG) to hold a shipping math trade restricted to our community, or if we'd get enough items to have it be worthwhile.
I bet we would if we opened it to Boomers, and if we did it soon, we could have results in time for Rathcon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth BK
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
worshipsf wrote:
Oh, it seems odd that would be restricted. Why couldn't you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avin Fernando
United States
Pittsburgh
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I've never done it before myself but I'd happily do a real one too. I suppose I should just participate in this and then redo it if we do a subsequent real one?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Avin wrote:
I've never done it before myself but I'd happily do a real one too. I suppose I should just participate in this and then redo it if we do a subsequent real one?
That's the idea!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bkarrigan wrote:
worshipsf wrote:
Oh, it seems odd that would be restricted. Why couldn't you?
I'm not sure if it is or not, or if anyone's tried before. The OLWLG is run by one guy (JeffyJeff) and there is some manual effort involved on his part to set up each math trade, so basically it's his decision what he wants to support or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Beowulf wrote:
5. Once you have posted your item to the GeekList, DO NOT DELETE IT. Apparently Bad Things can happen if you do so. Editing it is fine if you want to add information and/or sweeteners, or else "remove" it from the MT by adding an altname tag like so:

+altname+ Removed from trade -altname-
IIRC, only the items "Outside the Scope of BGG" and "Miscellaneous Boardgame Accessory" support the altname tags. So if you edit out an item, be sure to change the item to one of these two so that the altname shows up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby F.
United States
Henrico
Virginia
flag msg tools
Whatever you do will be insignificent. But it is very important that you do it.
badge
This BGG avatar is limited to the explicit use of Quaseymoto and all others will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.
mbmbmbmbmb
Real Math Trade question we should answer:

Many math traders offer Gift Cards (listed as Outside Scope of BGG) to Coolstuff and Amazon in exchange for games. Do we want to allow that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quaseymoto wrote:

Many math traders offer Gift Cards (listed as Outside Scope of BGG) to Coolstuff and Amazon in exchange for games. Do we want to allow that?
Todd already listed them as acceptable items in his geeklist header, and my vote would also be yes since it increases the chance that trades will be matched. The main argument against them (creates too many items to sift through) isn't really an issue for us IMO.

The main caveat with gift cards and geekgold is that arbitrage is not allowed, i.e. you are not allowed to trade your gift card for another gift card (of higher value, or often at all.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quaseymoto wrote:

I think MyParadox answered this question in his rules that I blatantly copied for this mock math trade. Offering gift cards or GeekGold is allowed, but arbitrage is not.

In other words, people aren't allowed to offer 25 of their own and then try to trade it for someone else's offer of 50 . Ditto gift cards: no offering your $10 GC to CoolStuff, and then trying to trade it for someone else's $20 GC.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
worshipsf wrote:
Quaseymoto wrote:

Todd already listed them as acceptable items in his geeklist header, and my vote would also be yes since it increases the chance that trades will be matched. The main argument against them (creates too many items to sift through) isn't really an issue for us IMO.

The main caveat with gift cards and geekgold is that arbitrage is not allowed, i.e. you are not allowed to trade your gift card for another gift card (of higher value, or often at all.)
Great job, Helen! Exactly right.

How closely did you read those rules, anyway? whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Beowulf wrote:
worshipsf wrote:
Quaseymoto wrote:

How closely did you read those rules, anyway? whistle
ninja

I skimmed, but they are pretty standard MT rules, other than the no actual trading part.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Who took the Bomp from the Bompalompalomp? Who took the Ram from the Ramalamading dong?
mbmbmbmbmb
I've ran restricted math trades before. It's fine.

You might get some confused bypassers, but it should be fine.

The biggest concern would be the pool size.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Buss
United States
Muncie
Indiana
flag msg tools
"It seems, that is, I may have become, quite by accident, the chosen, what what?"
badge
“Here is my secret. It's quite simple: One sees clearly only with the heart. Anything essential is invisible to the eyes.” ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, Petit Prince
nolemonplease wrote:
I've ran restricted math trades before. It's fine.

You might get some confused bypassers, but it should be fine.

The biggest concern would be the pool size.
Exactly. It's not restricted shipping, it's restricted participation. The latter is ok, the former is not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terri K
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
Good golly people... my username has a lower case x!!
badge
Females play board games too!!! ;)
mbmbmbmbmb
ooooh! I had a friend tell me about the steps of a math trade and I am still nervous trying one.

So thank you from me as well! meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Who took the Bomp from the Bompalompalomp? Who took the Ram from the Ramalamading dong?
mbmbmbmbmb
Beowulf wrote:
worshipsf wrote:
Quaseymoto wrote:

How closely did you read those rules, anyway? :whistle:
Hah, I see it now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   |