Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Juan Carlos Castillo
United States
Laredo
TX
flag msg tools
mb
When the box opens and is time to choose pieces color I always grab the red pieces maybe because most of the sport teams I like use red in their uniforms: 49ers, Liverpool, Bulls. If somebody else wants red I have no problem and I go with black or even brown if available.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Rosen
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I should probably have this microbadge
(thanks to Legomancer) because I definitely always play yellow meeple

The reason is actually because I used to always play green long ago, but that seemed to be a popular color that others would want too, so a couple years ago I switched to playing yellow, since no one ever seemed to want that color, and now I definitely always play yellow, I can't go back now, hehe.

-----

Vote Tally

Yellow: 25
Green: 16
Blue: 15
Red: 14
Black: 10
Purple: 8
Orange: 6
White: 4
Brown: 1

-----

This is very odd, I never realized that my exact reason for playing yellow (i.e., believing it's generally an unpopular color) is shared by so many other people who choose yellow too. I wonder why this rationale is uniquely yellow!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Hunter
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
Stop the admins removing history from the Wargaming forum.
mbmbmbmbmb
I try to play pink and purple. Most male gamer shy away from these colours as girly (at least in our group) so I usually go straight for one of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Usually Black, because of its high evil content! My alternate color if someone beats me to the Black is Red, because of its aggressive, warlike characteristics. As I play almost nothing other than direct conflict, warlike games, these colors just do it for me! devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yellow. I'm the host and everyone universally hates yellow. Now I love it and wouldn't play anything else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Blue or Yellow. My favourite colours and my favourite colours to have together. I dislike red mainly cos of the Arsenal connotation and also the fact it clearly makes you a target! I used to have a strange hatred of green as kid (very much strange as I lived on a farm!) Blue's the classic but I'm more than happy to play as yellow and depending on my mood I may take yellow anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris May
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Feeling lucky punk? Well, do ya?
mbmbmbmbmb
I like green. It's my favorite color. My second choice would be black. Probably the Atlanta Falcons connection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy K.
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
Way-whu-nuh-now?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yellow first, then natural-wood/white (if available) or black. Mostly because I have no problem seeing those colors on the board.

Also, yellow is just like me: craven and sly with a vicious streak.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Stude
United States
Farmington Hills
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My brother and I used to playfully fight to see who would get the red... well, anything, dinner glasses and game pieces included, though I have no idea why. Some bizarre prepubescent understanding of the masculine potency of the color red?

Come to think of it, I still gravitate toward red more often than not. Hmm.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Easterlin
United States
Saint Peters
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Black... followed closely by purple if available.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slovakia Steph
United States
Muncie
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Slovak flag...proud 7/8 Slovak, 1/8 Polish
mbmbmbmbmb
Black, of course, I am always black. If that's not possible, then white/grey. My two favorite colors.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Watson
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am always blue if it's available. In fact my gaming group expects it. In multiplayer light wargames, like History of the World, there's a saying around the around the gaming table: "When in doubt, kill blue." This stems from, I believe, the fact that generally I have the unenviable job of reading the rules and explaining them to the rest of the group. They conclude that since I explained the rules, I must know them best, and need to be hammered because of the advantage.

To paraphrase Kermit, "It's not easy being blue."

doc
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Fuller
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
whatever color is left over, or whatever I grab first. It's doesn't change the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Aventura
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like white, but it's often not one of the options. I also like doo doo brown

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lori
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Green and purple are my favorite colors in general, and all my gaming life I have always gone for green. You don't see many games (though there certainly are some!) that have purple as an option, though when there is purple I sometimes take purple for a change. The ideal strategy is to play a game where I can be purple while letting one of the other green people have their turn at green.

Ah, the other green people. We're like some bizarre species that can't get along with itself. All my life I had the monopoly on green in my family. Now, mixing with random other gamers, I encounter others who are the green one in their household or their group. And we both want green! Worse yet, there can be no victory, because whoever gets the green pieces will find the other green people instinctively trying to move them half the time.

But it doesn't matter. Once green, always green.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gantry Rogue
Canada
Abbotsford
BC
flag msg tools
yellow. because my toothbrushes are always yellow, of course.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Brooks
United States
Maple Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe there's a connection here, but I'm always blue. I'm also the only person who always reads the rules. Everybody laughs, until something comes up that we don't know how to deal with...

Oh yeah, and as for why: because blue is the luckiest color!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
Nothing happens for a reason, but everything happens by a mechanism
badge
Nitrogen Conservation Awareness: I pee in the yard
mbmbmbmbmb
As a colorblind person, whichever color looks the least like any other color in that particular game. For example, in Nexus Ops, either red or blue are good. In most games, this means avoiding red and green like the plague.

However, black is always good. Tough to mix up ol' trusty black, absorber of all wavelengths...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Alban
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yellow. no one else seems to pick it, so it's easy to play yellow in every game and reduce the potential for confusion

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Paul Sodusta
United States
Santa Barbara
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Put me down for yellow as well as no one picks the color. But over time yellow started growing on me and I always choose yellow now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hawkins
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BLUE! Blue is for boys!

Like JoshBot I am colorblind so red, green, brown and variants thereof are a major no go. Bright Yellow (T2R and Carc.) and Black are fine as well.

Just to be annoying my family members always dive for the blue as soon as the box is open, so they can force me to struggle through with red and green.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Crowe
United States
West Hollywood
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Count me as another rules-reading BLUE player.

In games like Risk and Settlers I like dark colors that do not attract attention. In other games like Caylus, I go for colors that do stand out. I find it's easier to picture strategies in my head that way.

BTW, for anyone keeping count, you can add one more for RED for my fraternity brother who ALWAYS has to be red. shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph H. Anderson
United States
Prospect
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Green - check out my avatar!

Why - to re-paraphrase Kermit - "It's not easy beating GREEN!

I am not exactly sure how I came to prefer green but its become quite difficult for me to play any other color if green is on the board. I'll move the green pieces more likely than not anyway!

If my favorite color is not available I'll play black, purple, white (which is actually just unpainted green!)

I have been known to relinquish my favorite on some rare occasions when others simply have to play it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Crowe
United States
West Hollywood
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DragonCat wrote:

white (which is actually just unpainted green!)

Clever!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boris Dvorkin
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yellow is my favorite color because it's the color of cowardice, so I always play yellow. If the game has yellow pieces, I will take them before anybody else has a chance. To make up for this selfish behavior, I pick my color last in any game that does not have yellow pieces.

If yellow is unavailable and I actually have a choice, I like blue, green, and red (i.e., normal colors). I'm not a fan of these weird colors that shouldn't even be in games, like orange, purple, black, white, etc. And don't even get me started on games like Taj Mahal, that don't have any colors at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.