11 Posts

Blue Moon» Forums » Variants

Subject: Small set of format variants rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Caleb Blake
Australia
flag msg tools
Only six decks into Blue Moon and we're coming up with fun format variants.

Pre-constructed: This is the standard decks as they are - no surprises there.

Pure: Decks made only of the individual people - no mixed races in a deck

Constructed: Free reign (within the current deck-building limitations) to build your own mixed deck

Alliances: Each pick a main race and a sub-race and create a deck with those two races only (using current deck-building limitations)

Traitors: Each pick a main race and then pick 1 sub-race for both players to incorporate into their given decks (using current deck-building limitations)

This is without going into E&I and Buka sets. Just the people decks.

Some of these formats are going to work much better when you have duplicates of all the decks of course, but I think there's room for some fun just by varying the deck-building guidelines.

Looking at Alliances and Traitors for example, once the first battle for dragons is complete and it's time to play your second hand you may opt for a mutiny and have the sub-race become the dominant - overthrowing the leader and leading the next battle in a different direction. Your opponent may not know about this change until the leader card is turned over at the start of the battle meaning a quick change of strategy may be in order.

Does anyone find this game getting stale? There just seems so many different ways to add spice to it.

Regards
Caleb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Stude
United States
Farmington Hills
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, not at all (though I go long periods without playing, unfortunately). When I bought the game I took my time exploring the base decks, first playing preconstructed, then moving to consolidated decks for a long while, then switching back to preconstructed. I owned the game for probably a little over a year before I finally dug into Emissaries play, and I still haven't technically played with constructed decks/inquisitors (I've built a few decks and playtested them by myself but haven't played vs. another human). I still enjoy it enough where I'll still play preconstructed, the variant I've spent the most time with, anytime/anywhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Gola
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
and everything under the sun is in tune
mbmbmbmbmb
caleb72 wrote:
Does anyone find this game getting stale?
Nope! Interesting ideas, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Doum
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
caleb72 wrote:

Does anyone find this game getting stale? There just seems so many different ways to add spice to it.
Nope. I, too, play mostly preconstructed, usually because I am teaching the game.

To add to you list of formats, if there is only one set of cards and you want to deckbuild, there are several possible draft varients. either have players alternately chose or randomly assign within each catagory.

Base decks: Each player gets a equal number of base decks to draw from. Consolidating the "guests" back to the their people decks is optional, but probably a good idea.

Emisarries: Add to the above an equal number of Emisarries and their decks. Each people deck you get its 3 additional cards, of course. You wouldn't actually use the Emisarries. Or you could do a card draft of the 28 cards in these mini-decks.

Inquisitors: To the above, give each player 2 of the inquisitors to choose from.

Buka: As a base deck, or each player gets 3 families.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb Blake
Australia
flag msg tools
I've thought of a draft-type variant where you mix the cards into boosters (I'm writing a small computer program to handle this process).

You get maybe 5 boosters of 10 cards each designed so that they have at least 1 of each race and a reasonable distribution of characters versus other cards.

You don't follow the BlueMoon deckbuilding rules as this clearly wouldn't work - except that you still follow the no duplicates rule.

With your 5 boosters you also get a randomly selected leader card which you would display at the commencement of your match. The leader card tells you and your opponents which race you have advantage in with the rule that your total power increases by one in every turn where there is a card from that race (not set) that's active. That's just an idea that hasn't been playtested - it could even be extended to say that your total power increases by the number of cards from that race that are active at any given time.

This is just to give an incentive to focusing on a particular race with your deck construction.

The concept behind it is that when an attack force includes elements from that race, the leader brings out the best advantage from each tactic/power/resource. So conceptually at least the basis of it doesn't sound too far fetched.

Other variations on this concept are possible too of course.

A set of 5 boosters will give you 50 cards of which 30 must make the deck. This means that you can sideline 20 and mix-n-match your decks between battles with your opponent. In 5 boosters you should get at least 5 of each race. There might be a real advantage in using retrievable cards if you have a leader from that race - wise retreats might be even more important in this case.

With this format and a complete set of the BlueMoon game (not counting E&I and Buka) you should be able to put together a tourney for 4 players - 8 if you go for a double set.

I haven't included E&I and Buka mainly because I don't know enough about them. It should be quite easy to incorporate them into the picture though. If you have 10 cards per booster that means one of each race with 2 slots left over - these could be a selection of two mutants, promos, E&I or Buka cards??? Once I actually purchase these sets I'll work out how to incorporate them myself - but I'm not in a particular rush at the moment.

Anyone think this could be fun with a group?

Regards
Caleb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm just going to address drafting. Other variants - well, each to what they want to do. I think the one thing to be careful of is that the game is designed for deckbuilding with strong constraints (ten moons in the basic version, more complicated options with E&I). I don't even want to think about a total free for all (nothing but three and four moon cards in a deck probably). Let's just say, don't do that.

Drafting is, as I think being discussed here, essentially a way of sharing out a card pool so you can construct from it, subject to the usual ten moon limit (or E&I modification). This is recognising that we don't all have two copies of everything. (I don't have two copies of any deck - unless you count playtest decks.) However since any opponent I'm likely to play constructed decks with will have his own cards, I haven't actually tried drafting.

However there's quite a lot of work in drafting. Supposing we just have the basic 8 decks, we pick one people (not deck) each to play, we share out the other 180 cards. Other than doing it in whole decks, it's quite a lot of work. And then of the 90 cards I get this way I use maybe about three to ten.

Now suppose we didn't do that, and we just each designed a deck from a 210 card pool (obviously we can't use the other player's people cards). This assumes you're able to design a deck without physically using the cards - though you can lay them out, or pick up decks, examine them and make notes. Some people will hate this, so this idea isn't for them. Now actually there's a pretty good chance that we don't overlap in our picks. In which case, let's go, we've managed to be as little limited as we can.

Now suppose we both pick the same card. OK, this is where I'm introducing a new idea. You both can't have it. You can put it on one side and it's now a forbidden pick (except when using that people). As a matter of interest this idea is actually based on playtesting. When we both picked the same card in our decks, we did so - but we made a note that this might be an undervalued card. When moon costs were later revised this was a key input - especially if different groups agreed on this. Incidentally you could start introducing your own handicaps on such cards, but banning is easier - and will make you start using more of the cards (maybe discovering a good deal in the process).

One obvious drawback is that you both get to know what's in the other's deck before playing. Or rather since you can play so that the stronger player (or the player who won last time) picks first, then the other player can shuffle through and in so doing note "I can't find X, have you picked it?" "Yes." "So have I, it's out". Also if you try to minimise this unwanted information, it's probably quite easy - looking through a pile of cards (per people) for a specific card you may well not notice what's missing. And you can always do it by number - if the cards are out of order you really have to work to notice that Hoax 29 is missing, and then remember what it is. (I don't, I just picked that number blind - it might even be in E&I. It's a leadership card, I know that much.)

Does this idea work? No idea, not tried it. It's just offered as something you might want to consider, improve on, whatever.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb Blake
Australia
flag msg tools
I got a little confused by some of that to tell you the truth.

I'm using a computer program to do most of this stuff so it's a little easier for a start. Your card pool is stored in a flat file and read in and processed accordingly.

And actually you're right about one thing - if I'm using the word drafting I'm definitely using the wrong word. I've never done drafting (which might be why some of what you wrote confused me). I'm thinking of a game based on the concept of opening 5 semi-randomly constructed sets yourself and having to design a deck based on those sets. I think they called them Sealed competitions or something in MTG.

The computer can work out all the hard stuff, you just have to collect your cards with a guarantee that someone else won't be getting those cards.

So - think of it this way. You have all the decks lined up right. You go to the computer, type a name as reference and click on - 'pick 5 sets' or something.

The computer selects 5 sets of 10 cards based on a basic (or more complicated) picking algorithm and it removes those cards from the pool and lists those cards for the player sorted by Blue Moon set. The player picks out his/her 50 cards which shouldn't take that long and the 50 cards are saved in a small flat file for reference.

Then the next player comes up does the same thing - retrieves the 50 cards and moves on.

It's true you can probably make some clever estimations as to what a player may have, but in the end you'll still be at least a little blind. The only sure thing is that they won't have your cards (unless of course you use duplicate decks which is another story).

Now I agree about the fact that it's throwing the carefully constructed deck building rules out the window, but it still might be a good test for people to try and build an effective deck without the support that the current deck construction rules give you.

With such an application you could actually make an interesting variation to network play with LackeyCCG too. Because you don't have a limitation in owned cards you could quite happily end up with duplicates. You'd have to rely a little more on honor amongst the players not to cheat, but hopefully that wouldn't be a problem. Additionally you could get a variation that uses the current deck building rules with the sealed being a sealed people deck with 1 or 2 "boosters" to add support/flavor. There's no reason for the software not to be flexible.

Anyway - it's just proposed as a different way to play it to add spice. Personally, I think Blue Moon doesn't need that much additional spice as it comes fully loaded, but that doesn't mean there aren't people out there who'd like to take a walk on the wild side. devil

Now the computer program is largely a concept in my head at the moment with some basic object design put together. But if I think I can get it together, it might be cool. I'd be happy to share it if that becomes the case. I tend to have no real timeline on these things and for all I know it would be ready next year or never, but it's a nice concept to start with.

I'm just wondering if anyone has any interest in such a format and tool - that's all.

Phew! A long post by me.

Regards
Caleb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb Blake
Australia
flag msg tools
We've thought of another variant that might be interesting.

Recreate the battle for Blue Moon or - Blue Moon Conquest format.

This one is a really fun one I think as it's not about which player wins but which race wins.

Basically you organise rounds so that you all get to play each people once (or more depending on your preferences). For example - with all 8 original people decks.

P1 Hoax - P2 Vulca
P1 Mimix - P2 Khind
P1 Flit - P2 Terrah
P1 Aqua - P2 Pillar
P1 Vulca - P2 Mimix
P1 Khind - P2 Flit
P1 Terrah - P2 Aqua
P1 Pillar - P2 Hoax

You score each battle as standard with the number of crystals and you keep a score.

At the end of the 8 matches you tally the scores and the race with the highest number of crystals wins the conquest.

You don't have to do this in one sitting - you could use several.
You could even make it that all combinations have to be met - ie Vulca plays each other race once etc...

This is quite a friendly format as although you might feel the satisfaction of winning an individual battle, the war is won by the race not you. Vice versa you're never a total loser either as it's likely you would have had your own personal victories contributing to the rise of a race to ultimate power.

I don't think you could get much more thematic than that actually.

Regards
Caleb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
caleb72 wrote:

That depend who "you" are.

What do I mean by that?

OK, Flit play Mimix. You're playing Mimix. Who are you? Blue Radiance? But she's a card, you're not a card. (You're certainly not any of the other cards.) The obvious alternative has some slightly more subtle thematic problems relating to the role of inquisitors.

The official answer by the way is that ... there is no official answer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Stude
United States
Farmington Hills
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, that's not quite true. I've got a pretty dry sense of humor, and every so often when I spit a joke at a friend or acquaintance completely deadpan they laugh and tell me what a card I am.

So... yeah.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb Blake
Australia
flag msg tools
Dearlove wrote:
caleb72 wrote:

That depend who "you" are.

What do I mean by that?

OK, Flit play Mimix. You're playing Mimix. Who are you? Blue Radiance? But she's a card, you're not a card. (You're certainly not any of the other cards.) The obvious alternative has some slightly more subtle thematic problems relating to the role of inquisitors.

The official answer by the way is that ... there is no official answer.

You are the collective spirit of the people you play at any given moment.

laugh

Regards
Caleb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls