BattleLore» Forums » General

Subject: Battlelore vs Battle for Wesnoth? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hegalian_Crisis!!
United States
flag msg tools
Hi,
Hoping for a bit of help. I'm trying to find the game that's the closest match to a boardgame version of Battle for Wesnoth and am wondering if Battlelore is it. My kids (ages 11-14) like Wesnoth but I'm trying to find something we can all enjoy that's NOT on a computer. Also, one thing I'd love to see that's different from Wesnoth - and seemingly from Battlelore as well - is an rpg element (example: characters can "purchase" or otherwise aquire magic potions or weapons during the game). If there are other games (or possibly Battlelore "mods") you think better fit the bill I'd love to hear.

Any help would be MUCH APPRECIATED! Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Garbett
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Will Provide Statistics for Data
Microbadge: Dune fanMicrobadge: M.U.L.E. fanMicrobadge: Magic Realm fanMicrobadge: Arkham Horror: The Card Game fanMicrobadge: Fief fan
Sounds more like you want Descent: Journeys in the Dark Second Edition?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: ATS - Advanced Tobruk System fanMicrobadge: RC airplane enthusiastMicrobadge: Always room for 1 more gameMicrobadge: Car Wars fanMicrobadge: Wiz-War fan
Runewars?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eryk B
Poland
Wroclaw
Lower Silesia
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Coffee addictMicrobadge: Sam & Max fanMicrobadge: I always carry a pocket knife!Microbadge: AbsurdistMicrobadge: HELLO
Sgt_Hulka wrote:
(ages 11-14)
You might want to try Heroquest, but if they really like Wesnorth you may want to start with something more advanced.
There's also Battles of Westeros that feels much more like a wargame and Card Armies: Battle for Wesnoth- not sure what the last one is...
Try telling more about the kind of game you're looking for
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Jones
Australia
flag msg tools
It sounds like you need the Battlelore "Heroes" expansion to get your RPG fix.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: ATS - Advanced Tobruk System fanMicrobadge: RC airplane enthusiastMicrobadge: Always room for 1 more gameMicrobadge: Car Wars fanMicrobadge: Wiz-War fan
I seem to recall a Battles of Wesnoth card game from the Game Crafter...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Lucky Owner of a War of the Ring Collector's EditionMicrobadge: Level 17 BGG posterMicrobadge: Commands & Colors Tricorne fanMicrobadge: Yaquinto fanMicrobadge: The Fantasy Trip RPG fan
I'm not familiar with Wesnoth, but Wikipedia has an article.

Wikipedia wrote:
In Wesnoth, the player attempts to build a powerful army by controlling villages and defeating enemies for experience.
It sounds like it's a strategic-level game of empire building and conquest. This aren't reflected in BattleLore or Battles of Westeros, which are about tactical-level individual battles rather than capturing territory and building troops.

The game that first occurs to me is Wizard Kings, which is a block game about conquering enemy cities, raising troops for the army and for garrisons of captured cities. It's a fairly simple game (less than 8 pages of rules) and the rules are online:

http://www.columbiagames.com/cgi-bin/query/cfg/allwizardking...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hegalian_Crisis!!
United States
flag msg tools
Thanks to everyone for the responses! I'm awaiting arrival of Wizard Kings bc I thought that might be closest. It apparently is almost designed to be modded so we'll see how it goes. If you're in Denver, I need to recommend a store called The Wizards Chest. It's a fun place & the staff there is very knowledgable and helpful. The guy who helped me said Descent is a great game but might be too complicated for kids who are also beginners. Battlelore & Runewars might work too but just seemed slightly off the feel I was looking for. I could be wrong on that tho. The others were either out of print or not available. I did buy "D&D: The Legend of Drizzt". While that game is not Wesnoth-like, having now read the rules, I think my kids & I might really enjoy it. It seems both immersive and simple enough for my kids to enjoy. Thanks again & best to all in 2016!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls