Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Darin Sunley
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This represents my first pass at an idea that has been brewing in my head, on-and-off, for a few years now - micro-scenarios, analogous to the chess or bridge puzzles you see in newspaper columns, with typically less than 6 counters per side, playable on half a map or less, to illustrate interesting tactical situations or teach basic play mechanics.

Attack Run Training: Level 1

Setup:
Uses the Ogre Map. The defender gets a CP, in 0811, and a Howitzer, in 0815.
The attacker gets 3 heavy tanks, entering anywhere along the southern edge of the map on Turn 1.

Victory Conditions:
CP and all defending units are destroyed: complete attacker victory.
CP is destroyed and at least one tank escapes from the south end of the map: attacker victory.
CP and all attacking tanks are destroyed: marginal attacker victory.
CP survives and at least one attacking tank escapes: marginal defender victory.
CP survives and all attacking tank are destroyed: complete defender victory.

Variants/Training Level Progressions:
Level 2: A mobile howitzer defending against 3 HVYs.
Level 3: 3 HVYs defending against 3 HVYs.
Level 4: 3 HVYs defending against 3 GEVs.
Level 5: 3 GEVs defending against 3 GEVs.

Proud Daddy Moment:
My 3.5 year-old daughter Sicily successfully navigated a Combine tank platoon up to the defending howitzer in the Level 1 scenario, demonstrating the cognitive skills, fundamental to almost all gaming, of reading movement rates off of the counters, taking turns, only moving her pieces the correct distance each turn, and taking the disabling of one of her tanks in stride.

Bonus points for appearing to understand that a single tactical action (drive up to the howitzer as fast as possible) has to be broken up into discrete actions carried out over several turns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ruben Rigillo
Italy
Roma
Rm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll try it!!!!!!
(.....look at my middle microbadge..)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
Load"*",8,1
mbmbmbmbmb
Love the idea of this and the motivation for doing it! I will definitely give this a play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.