United States
Portland
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
oh hai
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey All:

I'm in the process of relocating to Atlanta (from Maine/NH, no less), and I'm looking for some recommendations on game shops. I just recently purchased my first two games (Lost Cities and Jambo), much thanks to those who posted in a very old thread that I started asking for recs on 2-player games (I can't seem to dig up a link to my original post). At any rate, I don't think I'd call myself a boardgamer just yet, but I absolutely love reading about gameplay mechanics, looking at artwork, and the general creativity that goes into designing and playing boardgames. As such, I'm hoping to start frequenting some stores in the Atlanta area. Anybody have a favorite?

Thanks in advance!

-Aidan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Brown
United States
Cumming
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
But don't be fooled by the radio, the TV, or the magazines. They'll show you photographs of how your life should be but they're just someone else's fantasies.
mbmbmbmbmb
To this point I have been disapointed in the stores in the North East Atlanta area (Alpharetta/Cumming). What area of Atlanta will you be living in?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Rosen
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm nowhere near Atlanta, but here's the link to your old thread

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/87214

To find it I went to your profile, then selected the "Contributions" tab in the upper right, and then clicked on the "2" next to "Forum Threads:" ... you can find all your old contributions that way meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Krol
United States
Roswell
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aidan:

I'm in Roswell (northern suburb of Atlanta) and have lived here since '77 and I can tell you that game stores in Atlanta are pretty much non-existent. Always have been.

You're pretty much restricted to two stores at the moment. There's The War Room in Duluth and Dr. No's in Marietta. I believe there is also another store located more in-town (Batty's? Something like that...) though I've never been there so I can't say much about it.

Both the War Room and Dr. No's don't have that great of a selection, although overall I think Dr. No's is a better store (it's also a comic shop, while the War Room is also a model shop) in terms of general customer appreciation. Employees there seem to care about making the customer feel welcome and will be helpful, while at the War Room the typical employee spends their entire time surfing the web and acts like they're having to hold the Earth up on their shoulders if they have to ring you up on a purchase.

There is another choice, though it's not a brick and mortar store. Dan Ackerman, who used to own Sword of the Phoenix (the only Atlanta game store ever really worth anything but since closed) still runs his business out of his house. Basically just email him with what you want to order and he can get pretty much anything, and he offers a flat 20% discount on the order. You can contact him at dansword@mindspring.com to get on his mailing list.

Otherwise yeah, Atlanta sucks for game shops...

-Scott

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean
United States
Lawrenceville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"The Gaming Pit" in Duluth sells mostly collectable games, but they also have an assortment of boardgames. They have a lot of space for gaming, and sometimes you'll find a few boardgamers there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Barnes
United States
Decatur
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hey Aidan- first of all, you need to be coming to Mercer University (Atlanta Campus) on thursday nights- it's a big game group, we usually have 20-40 people and there's free refreshments. A pretty wide range of games gets played ranging from the current Euros to old timey AH stuff. As far as buying stuff goes, there are the B&M options already listed here and I also do retail myself similar to what Dan Ackerman (a great guy, BTW- he pretty much supplied all my gaming needs for about 20 years) does but I run 30% off everything, every product line. Email me if you're looking for something and if I don't have it I can get it for you. Atlanta is a great town for gaming, there's plenty of us around and there's lots of folks that really support the "scene" like Ward Batty with his Gamedays/Gamefests.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Martin
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Come on down to Mercer University on Thursday nights at 7PM. We play pretty much all the new Euro stuff, classic Ameritrash, and a fair amount of wargames hit the table too. Most of us who attend order stuff from MBarnes because he brings deliveries right to Mercer. So you can pick up your games and play them right away. Not bad!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aidan Mirisola-Sullivan
United States
Portland
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
oh hai
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello:

Thank you all for the replies. Right now I'm in the Druid Hills/Emory area (my girlfriend, and the reason for my move, is attending a graduate program at Emory). I think, come March, we'll be relocating to the Poncey Highlands, or thereabouts. The kicker is, I do *not* have a car, so getting to the game night might, or anywhere else for that matter, might be difficult. I'm in the process of googlemapping it to see if Mercer is bikeable from here. Cross your fingers!

Michael, I'll be in touch re: game orders. I'm mostly into two player stuff right now, and I'm looking to flesh out my collection (up next is Odin's Ravens and Carc: The Castle). As a side note, do you folks think that 2player Caylus will be too complex for a non-gaming partner?

Kindly,

Aidan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Paul Sodusta
United States
Santa Barbara
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mammothbaby wrote:
As a side note, do you folks think that 2player Caylus will be too complex for a non-gaming partner?

Kindly,

Aidan

I suggest you find yourself a copy of Battle Line. That game surprised me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ward Batty
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
The Atlanta Boardgame Meetup Group meets twice a month at a local pizza place not too far from where you are. Details at

http://boardgames.meetup.com/35/

--
Ward

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kasey Relford
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb