BGG» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Alternative Challenge 2016: Play 16 of your unplayed games in 2016 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Spurlock
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Microbadge: ZERTZ fan
Following on from last year's alternative challenge, this is the 2016 challenge to bring unplayed games to the table. This year there will be two different challenges:

Challenge A: Choose 16 unplayed games from your current collection and play them in 2016. You can only swap in other unplayed games that you already owned before New Year.

Challenge B: Pick some unplayed games if you have some and then play the new games that you acquire during the year, but you have to add them in the order that they got purchased and you can only count a play once you actually own the game.

Everyone can choose their challenge and there is the option to do both A and B if wanted, but the games on A and B have to be different. It would possibly be easiest to have only one list entry per participant, even if it contains two challenges.

As this is my first time running something like this, I won't promise any reward for participating such as microbadges, geek gold lottery etc.

Please add your lists to this geeklist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vic R
Spain
Tomares (Seville)
flag msg tools
badge
Pure mathematics is the world's best game. It is more absorbing than chess, more of a gamble than poker, and lasts longer than Monopoly. It's free. It can be played anywhere - Archimedes did it in a bathtub
Microbadge: Gamer FamilyMicrobadge: Teacher of MathematicsMicrobadge: 2018 Extreme Numerology Challenge - Gold Completed!Microbadge: I completed the 2018 hardcore challenge to play 10 games 10 times each - I came, I saw, I conquered my original list!Microbadge: Christian and LGBTQ or ally
I like the idea. I think is a lot harder than the 10x10 challenge (at least for me). If those 16 games are unplayed is usually for a reason, (too long, fierce competition of other games, higher number of players required, etc.) but this challenge could made some incentive to get those game rolling and playing and that is always good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
@TaintedDragonInn
badge
www.TaintedDragonInn.com
Microbadge: I don't use any card sleevesMicrobadge: Global Religious ToleranceMicrobadge: Golden MeepleMicrobadge: Ameritrash fanMicrobadge: Golden Reviewer
OK, if you're getting up to 16 unplayed games, you have a spending problem, not a playing one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Huber

Westborough
Massachusetts
msg tools
Geosphere wrote:
OK, if you're getting up to 16 unplayed games, you have a spending problem, not a playing one.
If I buy two games a year, but only manage to play one game a year, and I can afford to buy two games a year, I'd call that a playing problem.

Of course, I also know folks who enjoy _collecting_ games, and so I'm not actually convinced it's a problem at all - it's all a matter of preferences.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
How about print and play games we make?

Although I'm pretty sure I can get there without those since I'm sure I'll buy some games next year....

Only problem is I'm taking advantage of the holidays to make a large dent in my unplayed games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spurlock
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
fortheloveofdice wrote:
How about print and play games we make?
They fit right into Challenge B, I'd say, as long as they are real print and play games - taking a Rage deck to try something out is not the idea of the challenge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noreen
United States
flag msg tools
Fall in the Midwest
badge
Welcome to fall in the Midwest and a property with a lot of mature trees!
Microbadge: ASPCA supporterMicrobadge: Apollo 11 - 'That's one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind'Microbadge: Astronomy enthusiastMicrobadge: Breaking Cat News fanMicrobadge: Rocket 88
Thanks for setting this up Spurlock. You might consider adding microbadges. They could be based on the '15 ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zoe M
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
I wear my Halloween costume all year round!
Microbadge: I purchased 1 microbadge in a single day.Microbadge: 2015 10x10 game challenge hardcore award - I came, I saw, I conquered my original list!Microbadge: Golden MeepleMicrobadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level III - Are we geeks because we gaze at the stars, or do we gaze at them because we are geeks?Microbadge: I support 10x10 games challenge participants
Maybe a stupid question, but can you clarify what you mean by "unplayed"? We track both games that we've never played at all and games where we just haven't played our own copy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Andrews
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
OCD with the Letters in the Right Order!
badge
Squirrel Chaser
Microbadge: 100 Games X 1 Challenge participant - 2016Microbadge: Platinum Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: Level 07 BGG posterMicrobadge:  The few, the proud, the exhausted... BGG.CON Team Geek!Microbadge: Christian
Geosphere wrote:
You clearly do not collect games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spurlock
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I will definitively considering microbadges - I just have no idea how it works and therefore don't want to promise something that might or might not happen. Hopefully, though, as I have a year to get it sorted, there will be microbadges.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olaf Slomp
Netherlands
Moerkapelle
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Golden Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: Golden ReviewerMicrobadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level V - My God! It's Full of Stars!Microbadge: Completed Challenge Champion for 2019Microbadge: Connected Circumnavigation Challenge completionist 2019
I only started recording my plays a year and half ago.
As I do have a pretty good collection (about 300 games) there are plenty of games that havn't hit the table in that period, so they currently don't have any RECORDED plays by me.
Do they count? Or should it be completely new to me? (That would make it a lot harder, but still perfectly doable)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spurlock
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hi Zoe and Olaf,

it is about games that you own but have never played at all. So I would say that games that you have played but without recorded plays don't fall under this challenge and similarly games that you own but played with someone else's copy don't quite apply.

Hope this makes sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olaf Slomp
Netherlands
Moerkapelle
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Golden Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: Golden ReviewerMicrobadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level V - My God! It's Full of Stars!Microbadge: Completed Challenge Champion for 2019Microbadge: Connected Circumnavigation Challenge completionist 2019
spurlock wrote:
Hi Zoe and Olaf,

it is about games that you own but have never played at all. So I would say that games that you have played but without recorded plays don't fall under this challenge and similarly games that you own but played with someone else's copy don't quite apply.

Hope this makes sense.
Okidoki... I should be able to do A this year :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olaf Slomp
Netherlands
Moerkapelle
flag msg tools
badge
One more question... do expansions count?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Bennetts
United Kingdom
Wellington
Somerset
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Taunton Board Gamers - Leg Check!Microbadge: Vasco da Gama fanMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: LotR LCG fan - I go ALL IN Questing!Microbadge: The Secret Cabal Gaming Podcast fan
I have only 1 unplayed game in my collection Hey, That's My Fish!. Seems like a good excuse to go shopping.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clare Cannon
Wales
Trefforest
Mid Glamorgan
flag msg tools
Microbadge: THIS IS AN EX-PARROT!
I'm happy to join again this year... using same format at last year (all my unplayed games...see how far I get) will that be acceptable?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
@TaintedDragonInn
badge
www.TaintedDragonInn.com
Microbadge: I don't use any card sleevesMicrobadge: Global Religious ToleranceMicrobadge: Golden MeepleMicrobadge: Ameritrash fanMicrobadge: Golden Reviewer
andrews777 wrote:
Geosphere wrote:
My collection is over 600.

I play games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill L
United States
North Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: La Granja fanMicrobadge: PodcasterMicrobadge: A Feast for Odin fanMicrobadge: Welcome To... fanMicrobadge: Wingspan fan
Great challenge - but I don't think I'll have 16 unplayed games at any point this year! I really need to cut back on ordering, and although I'm sure I'll still pick up a few games throughout the year, it probably won't be 11. Right now I only have 5 unplayed games, all received within the last few weeks:

Burgle Bros.
Pandemic: Legacy
Elysium
La Granja
Raiders of the North Sea
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Andrews
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
OCD with the Letters in the Right Order!
badge
Squirrel Chaser
Microbadge: 100 Games X 1 Challenge participant - 2016Microbadge: Platinum Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: Level 07 BGG posterMicrobadge:  The few, the proud, the exhausted... BGG.CON Team Geek!Microbadge: Christian
Geosphere wrote:
andrews777 wrote:
Geosphere wrote:
My collection is over 600.

I play games.
I never said you didn't play them. I said you didn't collect them. The difference is important.

I like playing games, but I collect more than I play. That may not be a good thing, but I don't collect a lot of other things, so it balances out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noreen
United States
flag msg tools
Fall in the Midwest
badge
Microbadge: ASPCA supporterMicrobadge: Apollo 11 - 'That's one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind'Microbadge: Astronomy enthusiastMicrobadge: Breaking Cat News fanMicrobadge: Rocket 88
spurlock wrote:
I will definitively considering microbadges - I just have no idea how it works and therefore don't want to promise something that might or might not happen. Hopefully, though, as I have a year to get it sorted, there will be microbadges.
The easiest way to get it started is to request a badge from the design request geeklist: Microbadge Request & Design Feedback GeekList v4 [CLOSED].

I'm not sure what you need to do to get them admin awarded.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spurlock
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Bill, that's what challenge B is for - if you think you might get 11 more in 2016 join in :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noreen
United States
flag msg tools
Fall in the Midwest
badge
spurlock wrote:
That's what challenge B is for - if you think you might get 11 more in 2016 join in :-)
Join in anyway
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olaf Slomp
Netherlands
Moerkapelle
flag msg tools
badge
ngwilliam wrote:
spurlock wrote:
That's what challenge B is for - if you think you might get 11 more in 2016 join in :-)
Join in anyway
And buy more if needed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olaf Slomp
Netherlands
Moerkapelle
flag msg tools
badge
Earlybath wrote:
I have only 1 unplayed game in my collection Hey, That's My Fish!. Seems like a good excuse to go shopping.
Go play that first! It's a good game! :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Y P
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Owner of Too Many GamesMicrobadge: Liverpool fan - "You'll Never Walk Alone"Microbadge: SPACE-BIFF!Microbadge: Plays Games with SpouseMicrobadge: Gamer Family
Earlybath wrote:
This is so against the spirit of this challenge it's not even funny. Ok, it actually is funny

Jump right in! As long as you put a new game on your list before you play it you'll fit just fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   |