Doron David
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello all,

Just like that title says, how does Tokaido play as 2 player game?

Doron
Click HERE for a Geeklist of all my video walkthroughs
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Court Marley
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My husband and I like it. There is a dummy third player, and the person who is ahead on the track moves him whenever it would normally be the dummy's turn. So, there's an extra bit of decision-making. Do I jump in the lead and be able to control the dummy, or stick to the back and get to move onto more stuff. The dummy definitely adds to the two-player game, so that you're still fighting over spots.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doron David
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
snowden27 wrote:
My husband and I like it. There is a dummy third player, and the person who is ahead on the track moves him whenever it would normally be the dummy's turn. So, there's an extra bit of decision-making. Do I jump in the lead and be able to control the dummy, or stick to the back and get to move onto more stuff. The dummy definitely adds to the two-player game, so that you're still fighting over spots.

Thank you Court. That is good to know. I'm considering getting the game now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Flynn
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the game is good at any player count. But, for me, I actually think 2 is the best, since it adds a whole new layer of strategy with the "dummy" player. Excellent with two!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Two player is less fiddly than other games at two players that use a dummy third player that each player alternately controls. Still better with three or more, but fine at two, as long as you expect the added burden of the dummy third player. Good game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivano Rosa
Italy
Ferentino
Frosinone
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
imo better with 2 players... ok more players = more fun but more chaos, the winner is just a lucky player. With 2 players the game is very tactical.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you checked the User Suggested # of Players poll in the Information section of the game's main page ? With 90 voters currently it is viewed with low esteem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Molokov (AU)
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not a fan... mostly because of the dummy third player. I dislike any games where the two player version has a dummy third player - it's not really a two player game then, because things are *different* when you go down to two players.

Tokaido is great for 3-5, however.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave S.
United States
Des Moines
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I enjoy the 2 player version. The dummy player is easy to play, and the game remains nice and relaxing to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Mohnkern
United States
Germantown
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like it as a two player game. The dummy player is easy to run.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doron David
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mohnkern wrote:
I like it as a two player game. The dummy player is easy to run.

I read the rules and the 2 player seem ok with the dummy player. Will give it a shot.

Doron
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Chappell
msg tools
mbmbmb
How did you like it? I just played it for the first time with two players and really liked it. Played two games in row.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doron David
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chappymonster wrote:
How did you like it? I just played it for the first time with two players and really liked it. Played two games in row.

Beilive it or not. Have not had the chance to bring it to the table yet crycrycrycry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
I played my first game with my girlfriend this past weekend. We used the dummy as the 3rd player according to the rules. I thought it played fine as 2 players. Very relaxing game yet the dummy definitely adds some strategy.

I was curious if it's possible, or if anybody has ever tried, to play a 2-player game without the dummy player? Would that throw the game off-balance somehow? We were wondering that as we were playing. Has anybody tried it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.