Pavel MItov
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools

“Listen, listen, farmers, brewers, craftsmen, bums!
Sound the horns, shush the chickens, pound the drums!
The Duke has spoken: we shall host the Harvest Feast!
Let’s drown with wine and food this insatiable beast!”

The Harvest feast is a 1 or 2-player microgame, where players have to co-operate to grow and harvest the food for the Harvest Feast, but simultaneously compete to reach their victory condition before the opponent. As a solo game, the Harvest Feast is a complex puzzle that requires planning, strategic thinking and… carrots. Yeah, I said it – carrots. And cucumbers.

Game Contents:
8 Farm cards
1 Village card
4 d6 Dice
8 Cubes (or any other stackable tokens)

Players: 1-2
Playing Time: 5 minutes

Full Rules available at https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7MblUvDBuEeRERFdHlvczhBcU...
Hi-Res PNP of the faces of all 9 cards available at https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7MblUvDBuEeZWdsSnNPNE1FS3...
Hi-Res PNP of the backs of all 9 cards (NOT NEEDED for gameplay) available at https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7MblUvDBuEeNVB1TGFid1o4RU...
Greyscale, Low-Ink PNP version available at https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7MblUvDBuEeVHJRc0hNM2xiSj...

The game is in the playtesting stage. I have done private playtesting and confirmed this is a game that can actually be played. Now I hope the community can have fun with it and break it. After all, that’s the way to turn it from just a game to a great game.

Any feedback, questions and veggies are greatly appreciated!

Pavel
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the art!!

Subscribed! Will be testing this over the weekend!

Are you only using one side of the 9 cards because you need to shuffle them and create a deck to draw from? If so, you can put your logo on the other side!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N P
United Kingdom
Birmingham
UNITED KINGDOM
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Love the art, love the theme. Want to give this a go!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pavel MItov
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
kingspud wrote:
Are you only using one side of the 9 cards because you need to shuffle them and create a deck to draw from? If so, you can put your logo on the other side!

Thank you!

I use only one side of the cards mostly because, frankly, the game doesn't need the back side (I already have the logo there). The secondary reason is that in a 2-player game you don't know which Victory Requirement is in the hands of the opponent since 1 card is always going to be removed from play face down during the setup.

Deerhound wrote:
Love the art, love the theme. Want to give this a go!

Thank you! Let me know how it goes and have fun!

Keep 'em coming!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Hardy
India
Pune
Maharashtra
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lovely theme and art. Echoing Joeseph's comments here. Way to go!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a chance to play a lot of games solo and I "fortunately or unfortunately" however you look at it, found a strategy that wins every time.

It worked for every card since they're all have a 14 total in harvest.

Here is the walkthrough, test it out and tell me if it works for you.

1. As long as you don't have to "Till the land" you can win every time.
2. Let's say the card in your hand has the following: [4] Tomatoes, [6] Corn, [3] Cucumbers and [1] carrots.
3. Start out by fulfilling the [3] Cucumber requirement,
4. First month, PLANT A SEED and WATER A PLANT in the Cucumbers area.
5. Growth Phase: Burn a cube and add a cube on the Cucumbers area.
6. Next month, PLANT A SEED in the Tomatoes and HARVEST A PLANT by picking up the [3] Cucumbers, which fulfills the [3] Cucumbers requirement.
7. Growth Phase: Burn a cube and add a cube to the Tomatoes area.
8. Next month, PLANT A SEED in the carrots area and HARVEST A PLANT in the carrots area, which fulfills the requirement for [1] carrots.
9. Growth Phase: Burn a cube and add a cube to the Tomatoes area.
10. Next month, PLANT A SEED in the Corn area and HARVEST A PLANT the [3] Tomatoes.
11. Growth Phase: Burn a cube and add a cube to the corn area.
12. Next month, PLANT A SEED in the tomato and HARVEST A PLANT for [1] tomato which fulfills the [4] tomato.
13. Growth Phase: Burn a cube and add a cube to the corn area.
14. Next month, HARVEST A PLANT for [3] corn in the corn area and PLANT A SEED in the corn area.
15. Growth Phase: Burn a cube and add a cube to the corn area.
16. month, HARVEST A PLANT for [2] corn in the corn area and PLANT A SEED in the corn area.
17. Growth Phase: Burn a cube and don't add a cube!
18. month, HARVEST A PLANT for [1] corn area, which fulfills the corn requirement and wins the game!

You can use this same strategy for all cards as long as you swap around the four different vegetables based on the [6], [4], [1], [3] values.

I need to play it 2-player and see how the game flows! Solo play needs more work whether it be different harvest amounts per card or make it a beat your own score and not remove a cube each turn!

I'll keep at it and see what I can come up with for solo play but overall very interesting game. Good job!

I guess you could say I broke it for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niklas Hook
Denmark
Coppenhagen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Hook says :"I can paint for you if you need artistic help with you game"
mbmbmbmbmb
Great looking game.

Is it correct that cubes on grow&plant spots are not personal. You can harvest a plant that another player planted. And the dice on the village are not personal either...so it is possible with a tie.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pavel MItov
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
kingspud wrote:
I had a chance to play a lot of games solo and I "fortunately or unfortunately" however you look at it, found a strategy that wins every time.

It seems about right. I got to a similar strategy to to solve the puzzle. I am kind of stuck right now. The problem (?) is the optimal strategy(s) win the game on the very last turn possible, when your last die is going to be removed. Increasing the requirement could make it so that a solo game can't be won.

One option is to tweak the numbers so that there are combinations other than 1,3,4,6, but that add to 14.

What do you think?

hoek wrote:
Is it correct that cubes on grow&plant spots are not personal. You can harvest a plant that another player planted. And the dice on the village are not personal either...so it is possible with a tie.

Yes, that's all correct - everything on the bard is shared between the players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pavel MItov
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
UPDATE:

I tweaked the numbers on most farm cards to make the solo game more challenging. Enjoy and let me know how it works!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duarte Pinto
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats for creating a good looking Nanogame in the first place.
I enjoyed the game, I am not a fan of playing solo but played 2 games lost one and won another with different cards.
Then made some 2 player games and everything went smooth however IMO it´s easier to win if your card doesn´t have any 6´s and the opponent has at least one(6).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A few things to think about while playing that you can take advantage of:
1. If a d6 hasn't been used yet then utilize it for either counter actions or ability rolls.
2. Add modifiers to actions on different cards.
3. Change the cubes so you have specific types: blue for watet/irrigation, green for planting, red for fire damage, etc... it will limit how many you can use and will effect your choices.
4. Add another vegetable group like peppers for more options and competition.
5. Instead of circle for each harvest use a track with incremental numbers so you only have to use 1 cube to show you have multiple plants.

Some thoughts so far!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pavel MItov
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
Enchained wrote:
Congrats for creating a good looking Nanogame in the first place.

Thank you! I hope you enjoy the game.

Joseph, thank you for the ideas! One of the main thing I wanted to do when I started the design was to have the number of tokens be a factor in the game. It needs to limit the actions players could take and force them to make choices.

The idea for the 2-player variant I'm playing around with is to limit which Plant & Grow spots players can use: the card on the left could only use its left spot, the card on the right - the right one, the card on the bottom can use both. The game can then use another action: Switch two adjacent cards (e.g., the left one goes at the bottom, and the bottom one goes to the left). What do you think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Terry
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahh! This contest and this game have got me so excited. Thanks to you I now know it exists. I look forward to printing this on Monday and giving it a blast. Maybe when I have read up on how to join I will give the designing a go myself.

Thank you again, I will be sure to share my thoughts soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duarte Pinto
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Btw, played some more 2 player games and don´t know if it is a coincidence or not but the 2 player always wins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pavel MItov
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
Pola wrote:
Thank you again, I will be sure to share my thoughts soon.

Thank you! Any feedback is appreciated!

Enchained wrote:
Btw, played some more 2 player games and don´t know if it is a coincidence or not but the 2 player always wins.

I will have to look into that. To the people playing the game, please let me know how many games the 1st player wins vs the second! I have to figure out if there is a problem here and how to solve it - maybe Player1Action1, P2A1, P1A2, P2A2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pavel MItov
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen!

This is a quick note that there will be an update about the game hopefully by Friday. I will also have an introduction video that will briefly explain how to play the game.

Thank you for playing The Harvest Feast! If you have any feedback or carrots, please let me know! I like both!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pavel MItov
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
UPDATE!

In addition to the following video explaining how to play the game, there are some rules changes:

ADDED:
For 2-player game, the Village sprawl limits the fertile land you can use: You cannot plant on the right slot of the farm card that touches the left side of the Village card. You also cannot plant on the left slot of the farm card that touches the right side of the Village card.

Fifth action: Survey the farms: Exchange the farm card that touches the left or the right side of the village with the one that touches the bottom side of the village. Use that only if the farm card at the bottom has no cubes on it.

CHANGED:
The wording of the 4th rule Till the land has changed: Till the land: Exchange a card from your hand with the farm card that touches the bottom side of the Village if that farm card has no cubes on it.

Thank you for playing the game! As usual, all feedback is greatly appreciated!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Pages
United Kingdom
Oxford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This looks very neat. Will have to print it and give it a try.
thumbsupthumbsupthumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pavel MItov
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
guigtexas wrote:
This looks very neat. Will have to print it and give it a try.
thumbsupthumbsupthumbsup

Thank you! Make sure to let me know how it goes. Any feedback is appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Alton
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
Paper 'Mech - winner 'Best Overall Design' in the 2016 1-page PNP Contest
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Printing this off to try at the weekend
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin Zea
msg tools
Fantastic game and it looks beautiful I will print it soon

Would it be possible to make it into a 4 players game??

Regards

EZ
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pavel MItov
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
Ezeael wrote:
Would it be possible to make it into a 4 players game??

It should be possible with multiple copies and some work on the rules.

Thank you for playing the game! Let me know how it goes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin Zea
msg tools
I have printed it now I need to make the boards I notice some boards add to 15 others to 14?? is that per design? seems a bit unfair to me

EZ

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Pavel,

Can you please post in your WIP thread which categories your game is going to be entered in?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Mestdagh
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I did get to try the game tonight. I enjoyed the fast play, but I do agree that the solitaire version of the game was a tad to easy. I was able to beat the game in 5 rounds. Unless I am playing it wrong.

The way I read the rules was that I had 2 cards in my hand. I win if I matched the lower number of each vegetable. If that is the case, then one way to up the difficulty would be to have enough vegetables to match the higher of the two numbers of the cards in your hand.

Fun concept though. I did enjoy the game. I could see how 2 player would be much more interesting.

Another note is that you say that the game is for players age 6 and up. I am not sure that my 6 year old would be able to differentiate the 5 choices that he had available per turn. Maybe change it to ages 8 and up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.