Gavan Brown
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Greetings fellow Brass fanatics,

Martin Wallace has granted Roxley Games the opportunity to publish Brass. The details are currently being finalized.

I have been playing Brass for many many years, and regard it as one of the greatest games ever designed. Needless to say, we very excited about this opportunity. We understand and gladly accept the responsibility being put on us to honour the original game.

In the past year, Roxley has released Steampunk Rally and Super Motherload. Previous to that, we have also assisted with the art direction of various other games, including Eminent Domain. We have a strong work ethic, but above all, our focus is to create games that fire on all cylinders.

New Art - The new edition will feature all new artwork. As the artistic director for the project, rest assured that we will do everything in our power to ensure that the artwork of the game has a strong connection to the theme and game play. We will also ensure that the graphic design is clean, attractive, functional and intuitive.

Additional Map - The new edition will of course include the original map. Additionally, we are currently assisting Martin Wallace with the development of a new map. This map is themed around the area of Birmingham. While nothing about this new map is finalized, so far it features two new industries, including breweries. It also features a few new mechanisms and rules. So far, it feels like Brass, but it feels very fresh, and provides a feeling different enough from the original to absolutely justify it's existence.

The game will be coming to Kickstarter in 2016 2017. We are aiming for a Q2-Q3 Q1 2017 campaign launch. By utilizing Kickstarter, we hope to offer a deluxe edition which will feature various exclusives. Roxley does not believe in Kickstarter Exclusive content. Therefore, all versions of the game will include all maps and content and the deluxe edition exclusives will be limited to aesthetic and component upgrades. Edit: due to the low component overlap each map will be its own box as its own game.

The game will become available in your FLGS soon after fulfillment of the Kickstarter is complete.

Playing Brass with a cold pint of beer and good friends is one of our most favourite and memorable pass times. We treasure this game as much as you do, so rest assured that we will do everything in our power to elevate the experience of this masterpiece.

None of the details for the production have been finalized, so feel free to mention things that you'd like to see.

If you'd like to know more about Roxley Games, check out our website at Roxley.com.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask!

Keep rollin' sixes,

Gavan
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Forrest
Australia
Embleton
Western Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Roxley Games to Publish Brass in 2016
Brilliant! I'm in!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Noice! Can't wait.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Israel Waldrom
New Zealand
Dunedin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds good. Looking forward to seeing how the finalized product looks, and how the new map plays.

Will the new map be on the reverse side of the original (i.e. a double sided board), and will the 2 player map/rules be included or mentioned?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Hillier
Canada
St. Albert
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, this is unexpected good news!

Will you include the 2p map as well?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavan Brown
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mogust wrote:
Sounds good. Looking forward to seeing how the finalized product looks, and how the new map plays.

Will the new map be on the reverse side of the original (i.e. a double sided board), and will the 2 player map/rules be included or mentioned?

We will offer the 2 player experience. If we can do this with a single side in an elegant and intuitive way, we will. If not, we will include 2 boards. Luckily, Brass is not a component heavy game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Creve Coeur
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What about the original map and rules? Is the new map the only full-game option? Thx!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Sinn
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmb
astroglide wrote:
What about the original map and rules? Is the new map the only full-game option? Thx!

I concur with this sentiment. Wallace is an amazing designer, but in his game revamps (Brass -> Age of Industry, Study in Emerald -> v2), the "heart" of the game isn't quite there anymore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavan Brown
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
astroglide wrote:

We will of course include the original map as well. It will also feature new artwork.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RoosterJuice wrote:
astroglide wrote:

We will of course include the original map as well. It will also feature new artwork.
What direction are you thinking of taking the artwork? I know that many people felt the original artwork map was a little... drab? Are you thinking of something more colorful, or staying more muted, or what?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David G. Cox Esq.
Australia
Lighthouse Beach
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Do what you can, with what you've got, where you are.
mbmbmbmbmb
Edward J Grug III wrote:
Brilliant! I'm in!

Make that two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Great Falls
Montana
flag msg tools
mbmb
Boy, am I ever glad I picked up a copy of the Eagle release before all these shenanigans ensued...new publisher? New artwork? Breweries? Hmm. I wonder how this planned release of Brass will turn out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavan Brown
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
harmonicaman79 wrote:
Boy, am I ever glad I picked up a copy of the Eagle Griffin release before all these shenanigans ensued...new publisher? New artwork? Breweries? Hmm. I wonder how this planned release of Brass will turn out.

Christopher,

I can understand your apprehension, as this game is close to the heart of many gamers. All I can really tell you is that at Roxley we take pride in investing a massive amount of effort into each and every project we take on.

It is worth noting that the breweries are only featured on the additional map. The content of the original map will remain intact.

Keep rollin' sixes,

Gavan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Vinyard
United States
Las Cruces
NM
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With a Q2-Q3 Kickstarter launch, are you expecting this to actually be published in 2016 or 2017?

A Q3 2016 KS launch doesn't seem to leave much leeway for the KS campaign to run, and time for printing and shipping by the end of 2016.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chearns
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gavan, I have total faith in you. Go Gavan!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Kindree
Canada
Waterdown
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welp, that's another KS purchase... Maybe my wife won't notice? whistle

Taught (and subsequently "forced" the purchase of) Super Motherload several times, love the art and style of the game (Everything in the box!). Tremendously fun, easy to learn and teach, great components without going overboard with unnecessary things.

Backed Steampunk Rally, wonderful art direction in that game, easy to play and teach, great rules as written. The KS exclusives were minimal (Metal cogs), while the standard components are still superb.

Tackling Brass? I've nothing but high confidence that the art will do the game justice, the rules will be readable, the components will fit the game nicely without going overboard, and the final product will be improving upon the original. Based on the above, I suspect that any "upgraded rules/changes/maps" may be "optional", as original rules could be applied to the base game map.

Congrats on the contract!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Iordache
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RoosterJuice wrote:
mogust wrote:

We will offer the 2 player experience. If we can do this with a single side in an elegant and intuitive way, we will. If not, we will include 2 boards. Luckily, Brass is not a component heavy game!

RoosterJuice wrote:
It is worth noting that the breweries are only featured on the additional map. The content of the original map will remain intact.

As I understand, there will be 3 maps included: the original map, the new map with breweries, the 2 player map.
Is this correct?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gar Per
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
iadrianik wrote:
RoosterJuice wrote:
mogust wrote:

RoosterJuice wrote:

As I understand, there will be 3 maps included: the original map, the new map with breweries, the 2 player map.
Is this correct?

I believe that the more accurate answer is that there will be at least two maps. Either one (or both) of those two maps will include 2 player rules, OR a third map will be included for 2 player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yani
Switzerland
Zürich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great news Gavan. Let me jump in and say that Roxley has done a wonderful job with both Steampunk Rally and Super Motherload, so way to go.

Could we assume that the box size will indeed be fit for the game, and not full of hot air as most other companies do for the sake of shelf-space?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Heisey
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any chance of the new map being offered as an expansion as well? I'm excited about this, but it's certainly not enough to justify purchasing a second copy of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten K
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
Thunkd wrote:
RoosterJuice wrote:
astroglide wrote:

What direction are you thinking of taking the artwork? I know that many people felt the original artwork map was a little... drab? Are you thinking of something more colorful, or staying more muted, or what?

Please don't make it cartoony or gaudy. Subdued but with more details would fit the game nicely.

Oh and please remember to make the campaign EU friendly!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
Given I live in Birmingham, how much of what do I need to give to who in order to have my house drawn on the new map?

Hope it goes well guys, I'll be lining up to back the KS.

As for the art... I'd have thought using the art from the brand new app would be the obvious idea, no?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
harmonicaman79 wrote:
Boy, am I ever glad I picked up a copy of the Eagle Griffin release before all these shenanigans ensued...new publisher? New artwork? Breweries? Hmm. I wonder how this planned release of Brass will turn out.

Would you prefer instead that the game goes out of print and fewer people be exposed to this great game? And a little bit of enthusiasm for a relatively new publisher taking on a project like this would be nice, especially when they have indicated they are taking pains to get it right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
pfctsqr wrote:
harmonicaman79 wrote:

Would you prefer instead that the game goes out of print and fewer people be exposed to this great game? And a little bit of enthusiasm for a relatively new publisher taking on a project like this would be nice, especially when they have indicated they are taking pains to get it right.

His comments baffled me, but I presume he's just doing a tit for tat against all the anti Eagle comments elsewhere, so I ignored it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Here is an easier and cheaper alternative:

2 double sided boards with the main board on one side and the 2P board on the other.
On the other board put the Catalonia fan map on one side, and the French fan map from theorderofthehammer on the other.

Make a nice single deck of cards to replace my own home made one that basically has a section on each card for each variant map / original so that you can play any of them with just the same deck (Mine has base(with 2P in paranthesis), Yorkshire, Spain, France - cards which arent included in a variant map I just wrote "discard". Its a lot easier than having separate decks for each map.

Spruce up the art but keep an industrial / historical look, stray more towards a clean abstract style like the orderofthehammer rather than the hideousness of the iOS app for example.

Make the box nice and big and high quality.

save all the money Martin would have spent fannying about with a birmingham beer map and let him have a nice fishing holiday somewhere instead.

I'd be quite happy with nicely stickered wooden discs using this for money
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/44707/coin-upgrade-br...

metal coins are nice but annoying in practice, even die cut tokens are better. Just make them nice and thick like the ones in Cuba and look like period english currency.

a nice wooden top hat for VP thats different to the wooden marker for income wouldnt be half bad.

a great range of kickstarter exclusives could be a lump of coal, a stuffed canary or a mining lamp.

I'm kidding about that last bit, but not the rest of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [25] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.