skippen
United States
Greeley
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Cary Grant, 1904 - 1986
badge
How old Cary Grant? Old Cary Grant fine. How you?
Quote:
Find out if Derk becomes an Arch-Enemy of the League

Sigh............. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
james napoli
United States
Westwood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
good timing, as i just finisehd listening to the first one which i must say was highly amusing. i would say at this early stage hamster fury is still a bit more cheeky, but good job on the first podCast.

cheers.
-
James

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim K.
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
As someone else mentioned, it's not a podcast until an RSS feed is attached to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Marcussen
Denmark
Odense C
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice to see more content - cool... But even more woul dbe better.

However as the podcast of ameritrash and doing a Sci-Fi show, I seem to miss "Twillight Imperium 3" - a near perfect game, quite ameritrashy and pretty much the king of its genre.

Oh - and some good laghs in there "exterminate" robot

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zopper Alf
Germany
Mannheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The session report of Mag-Blast is hilarious - good to see that you even topped your initial podcast!
Keep up the good work (and the sound-effects ).
Simon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
United States
Oxford
Mississippi
flag msg tools
Hotty Toddy Rebels!
badge
Lets go Blues!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to have to ask that until you put up an RSS feed, that you do not call yourself a podcast.

That is all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
United States
Oxford
Mississippi
flag msg tools
Hotty Toddy Rebels!
badge
Lets go Blues!
mbmbmbmbmb
EvilTimmy wrote:
As someone else mentioned, it's not a podcast until an RSS feed is attached to it.

Apparently, someone else has already picked up on this.

Oh well, at least I'm not alone in my thinking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nairb Attobas
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SybotCB wrote:
EvilTimmy wrote:

Apparently, someone else has already picked up on this.

Oh well, at least I'm not alone in my thinking.

Technically, wouldn't a podcast require listening to it on an Ipod, too?

Quibbling over semantics = silly.

Edited to add:

Steve... Glad to see this one had some pretty good content in it. The first part of it had quite good sound levels, too. The music seemed to be about the same volume as the rest. Towards the end I had to swivel my volume around since it had gotten quiet at parts, and I noticed that I had it cranked up to max by the time it was over. I'm sure you'll improve the more you do it.

Also, giving a little bit more detail about some of the games might be good. For 'Awful Green Things' and 'Sucking Vacuum', by the end of your descriptions, I had no idea of what kind of games they were aside from being sci-fi.

Mag-Blast session report was fun, as was talking to the BGG moderator.

If you keep going, and taking the constructive critiques to heart so that the show can improve, I'll keep listening.

I want the Barnes interview soon, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Bohrer
United States
Hereford
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I laughed out loud at the moderator bit too...and I'll ditto the sound problems.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Martin
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I'm going to have to ask that until you put up an RSS feed, that you do not call yourself a podcast.

While this is the kind of pedantry that drives me nuts about this site, there is a point in there. You're going to reach a lot more people if you get youself properly set up as a podcast, which means that you have an RSS feed published somewhere on the web that people can subscribe to. Once you have that, you can add your podcast to the iTunes Podcast Directory and you'll have a potentially much larger audience than the few of us who hang around here in the forums on BGG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
United States
Oxford
Mississippi
flag msg tools
Hotty Toddy Rebels!
badge
Lets go Blues!
mbmbmbmbmb
robartin wrote:
Quote:

While this is the kind of pedantry that drives me nuts about this site, there is a point in there. You're going to reach a lot more people if you get youself properly set up as a podcast, which means that you have an RSS feed published somewhere on the web that people can subscribe to. Once you have that, you can add your podcast to the iTunes Podcast Directory and you'll have a potentially much larger audience than the few of us who hang around here in the forums on BGG.

I understand what you're saying. But until there's an RSS feed. I can't subscribe. Which means I have to constantly check and see if there's a new show. I have to add it to my mp3 player manually, etc. When there is an RSS feed. It automatically creates the playlist, puts it in the category I want, and syncs new shows (And deletes the ones I have listened too) automatically. That's the reason for an RSS feed. Not pedantric reasons only limited to technicalities or semantics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Van Verth
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ben_ethus wrote:
Technically, wouldn't a podcast require listening to it on an Ipod, too?

Technically, no. The name is unfortunate, but no iPod or even any MP3 player is required. Just an RSS feed with enclosures.

[Edit: made less snarky]

-Jim

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
james napoli
United States
Westwood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty good podcast. I actually enjoy the songs, but agree with some others that the volume ups n downs result in mad scrambles for the thumbs down button on my volume control...

The trek variant seemed to drag a little bit, anyway u slice describing game mechanics sans the visual is going to be an uphill battle.

The session report against tom/aldie and greg was really funny though.

The point i'm getting, regardless if it's the one your trying to make is that this is a community of people who enjoy playing games, however it's seems we are all so very uptight and unwilling to just have some fun. Oh well, that's what i've gotten out, so thanks and thanks for the laughs.

-
James
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Van Verth
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jgerman wrote:
While we're being technical: RSS is not required, it's needs to be wrapped in a syndication feed, not necessarily RSS.

Heh, fair enough.

-Jim

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Knauer
United States
Heathrow
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The sci-fi segment rambled and was uninformative. snore

I complained about the music last time (mostly being too long) but I actually enjoyed it this episode, and thought it was rockin for the most part. I think this is where your talent resides.

The rest of the episode was pretty mediocre. I can't get into the Aldie/Schloesser bashing. Their personalities just aren't suited for the kind of taunting you're seeking. Perhaps Tom Vasel and Derk, but not Aldie and Greg.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nicholson
Canada
Brantford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good job..err. Better job!

I think the balance between game content and social commentary improved the show and will make it interesting to a larger group of listeners.

Thank you for making a Mission Statement. At least now it can be clear to everyone the point of the podcast, so if they don't like your Mission, they can tune into some Disney-fied happycast like Board Games with Scott.

While the music is still too long for my tastes, I do like that you did it more like a radio show, talking over the head and tail; the balance of voice to music was a little off at places as I found it hard to hear your speaking voice over the singing. By using that convention of talking over the head and tail, you are getting people in the mindset of listening to a talk radio-style show that still plays some music.

I thought your talk-through of a game was a good way to provide the feel of a game without just talking through the rules. That is a neat idea.

Levels overall were much better this time, with the speech and music being closer in volume.

You got a little hampered down in the details in your description of your Star Trek Makeover; a less detailed description would better fit in with the flow of the show.

It's nice to hear something different. I look forward to the interview with the Schlossinator!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
"it puts the 'show' into the RSS 'feeds', or else the 'banal-anal' retentives vent their spleens!" laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bernhardt
United States
saratoga springs
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good show. Glad you decided to go with a formal mission statement!

Keep the music and make it as long as you want. If it were canned music, I would say drop it, but it sounds original so definately keep it in. What other game podcaster does their own music? That makes the show quite different than all the rest.

I was disappointed that one can't aspire to be an arch-enemy. There has to be a way, c'mon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Carlson
United States
Wheaton
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve...keeping posting those pics and I'll keep listening.

Still NEED a pic of the REAL Bubbles though.

And is it just me, or does being green just make her that much attractive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A step in the right direction, I would say. The songs are still a bit too long for my tastes, but the volume level between the music and the talking was much better.

I do have to say, though, the show is much better when you're talking about the games you like as opposed to talking about the people you don't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Poochie D
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
the*mad*gamer wrote:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Robinson
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve

You have a great broadcast voice, very easy to listen to. Keep it rock and roll. Bang that music out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Longdin
England
Crawley
West Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Indeed. It's not easy being green

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Barnes
United States
Decatur
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I have some helpful advice like some other folks here do:

1) Make everything LOUDER.
2) More personal attacks. Name names.
3) Instead of an RSS feed, offer transcripts of the show via snail mail.
4) 20% more Daleks.

Other points-

- The "I like board games" song is classic. It really sums up the mentality of a lot of folks.

- Cosmic Encounter is a great game. I don't see why you fail to see that.

- All session reports should be in the "Weeks v. Schloessinator v. Aldie v. Vasel" format.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.