BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Discussing Retailers

Subject: Board game shops in Cincinnati/NKY area? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Aaron Moore
United States
flag msg tools
mb
Hey all! I'm pretty new to the gaming scene. My wife, son and I have just recently been really getting into gaming more. We have a nice, yet small collection started that we are really enjoying. Most have been gifts/purchased online but I would love to find a good gaming store somewhere in my area. Looking for a store with a good selection and preferably a friendly staff somewhere in the Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky or even Southeast Indiana area. I am closer to the west side. I've been to Sci-fi City but the staff id's really unfriendly there. Any others I should be aware of? Thanks all for the help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
NELSON SANTIAGO
United States
independence
KY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The best used to be Yottaquest, unfortunately closed last year. Now, the best one by far is Arkhan House Games, I believe they have boardgames Nights almost every day. A very good selection of games, and very helpful staff. There is Comic Book World in Florence, KY but they are more into comics and CCG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Moore
United States
flag msg tools
mb
I've heard of Yottaquest but they went out of business right when I was first getting into gaming. I'll check out the one you suggested. Looks pretty nice from the website. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Aull
United States
Owensboro
KY
flag msg tools
Gaming Collector/Enthusiast
badge
Gamer Without a Cause
mbmbmbmbmb
Owensboro in KY and Evansville in southern IN both have nice shops, but may be further from you than you'd like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Collins
United States
Erlanger
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rockin' Rooster Games and Comics on Glenway is great as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Stokes
United States
Chatham
Illinois
flag msg tools
BoardGameGeek
badge
BoardGameGeek
mbmbmbmbmb
I moved from the area over a year ago. However, there was a great shop on the east side called Gateway Games. I don't know if it is still there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nelson Stanley
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Boardwalk Hobby Shop in Cincinnati has a fantastic selection of games. My go-to stop when I'm in the area.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Makowski
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I have often traveled in the past for my job and have found the link below helpful in locating game stores. Plug in the zip code or city and it will generate a list of game stores in the area. Included in the list will be name of store, address, approx miles from your current location, website links and contact info. http://www.gamesalute.com/storelocator/search

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Moore
United States
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks everyone for responding. You all have given me some great stuff to look into! Do any if you guys participate in any meet ups in the area?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathleen Nugent
United States
Tamworth
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Empire Comics and Games

1636 Slate Run Road

New Albany, IN 47150

This is cardhaus.com's retail store. It's 100 miles south of Cincinnati via I-71. I realize that's a long drive, but you could order online from cardhaus and pick up your games in person if you happened to be driving in that direction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Burleigh II
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Bless the Maker and His water... Bless the coming and going of Him... May His passage cleanse the world...
mbmbmbmbmb
EllenCaroline wrote:
This is cardhaus.com's retail store. It's 100 miles south of Cincinnati via I-71. I realize that's a long drive, but you could order online from cardhaus and pick up your games in person if you happened to be driving in that direction.

Hmmm, being an Ohioan by birth, and living in KY for a few years… I must say that math/map-fu skillz are a little off…

100 Miles south of Cincinnati puts you somewhere in the middle of KY.

I'm sure it'd be a nice drive.

OP - If you're in Columbus for travel ever, The Soldiery is excellent and has been around since the 70's I think… They have a really big collection, I'd say the biggest in cbus. Talking with one of the managers, she said they counted their titles the other week, and had 1200 or so on hand!

Guardtower is also pretty good with a nice selection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Tutwiler
United States
Centerville
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you don't mind a little drive North (not as far as Columbus), Epic Loot Games in Centerville is very nice, with great staff. I used to go to Yottaquest before Epic Loot opened, and am sad to hear they are gone.

I have gone to the open game nights on Thursdays several times, but I'm by no means a regular. It's best to arrive a little early (starts at 6pm) to ensure you can get into a game, unless you plan on being your own group.

http://epiclootgames.com

If you check out meetups for Cincinnati (http://board-games.meetup.com/cities/us/oh/cincinnati/) you may find one suitable in your area; I've only participated in the BONC group, and that not since Epic Loot.

Also, I have a decent-sized collection; I'd be more than happy to meet somewhere and bring whatever you'd like to try out. I live half-way in between Dayton and Cincinnati, near Franklin.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Meyer
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
brrrmanza wrote:
EllenCaroline wrote:

Hmmm, being an Ohioan by birth, and living in KY for a few years… I must say that math/map-fu skillz are a little off…

100 Miles south of Cincinnati puts you somewhere in the middle of KY.

I'm sure it'd be a nice drive.

OP - If you're in Columbus for travel ever, The Soldiery is excellent and has been around since the 70's I think… They have a really big collection, I'd say the biggest in cbus. Talking with one of the managers, she said they counted their titles the other week, and had 1200 or so on hand!

Guardtower is also pretty good with a nice selection.

Southwest - New Albany is right across the river from Louisville.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Turner
United States
Bexley
Ohio
flag msg tools
BGG has paid for itself by saving me from buying crappy games!
badge
Come on people! Donate! nothing in life is free!
mbmbmbmbmb
NewbieGamingDad wrote:
If you don't mind a little drive North (not as far as Columbus), Epic Loot Games in Centerville is very nice, with great staff. I used to go to Yottaquest before Epic Loot opened, and am sad to hear they are gone.

I have gone to the open game nights on Thursdays several times, but I'm by no means a regular. It's best to arrive a little early (starts at 6pm) to ensure you can get into a game, unless you plan on being your own group.

http://epiclootgames.com

If you check out meetups for Cincinnati (http://board-games.meetup.com/cities/us/oh/cincinnati/) you may find one suitable in your area; I've only participated in the BONC group, and that not since Epic Loot.

Also, I have a decent-sized collection; I'd be more than happy to meet somewhere and bring whatever you'd like to try out. I live half-way in between Dayton and Cincinnati, near Franklin.

I second Epic Loot, Worth the drive and great atmosphere the Soldiery and Guardtower in Columbus are both nice, but I can't stand not being acknowledged when I am in a store (happens often at both of these) i want Epic Loot to open in Columbus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls