Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Hutchinson
United Kingdom
Canterbury
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I had the Mythos CCG back in the late 1990s, and adored it. Sadly I haven't the faintest idea where my original collection ended up, and in a recent fit of nostalgia I picked some up from eBay. The cards are still great looking and the structure of the game is very evocative of the Call Of Cthulhu RPG. Not wanting to trouble the wife with yet another card game (we're playing Dominion, RftG and Ascension at the moment), I tried playing the solo rules a few times. I liked them, but I am want to tinker. I humbly present The Hutchinson's Cypher Solo Variant:

HutchinsonsCypher.pdf

Why?

After a few late nights spreading comically huge stacks of cards across the table, I realised the three things that were stopping me from enjoying the solo experience. All of the issues stem from the same root cause: you do not have access to the Adventure cards from the start of the game, you have to wait for them to pop out of the deck.

The first problem with the solo game is that you have to keep every card in view, so that you can reference it with the adventures in case it is a crucial plot point. This leads to a sprawling "tableau" of face-up cards. The second problem is that you don't know when each Adventure is going to pop out, so you have to attempt to work to complete ALL the Adventures simultaneously, reducing the interest in the decision-making process. The last issue is that Adventures might have eight or ten criteria for completion, times maybe four adventures, and I just don't have the brainspace to hold 36 separate Adventure criteria in my head at the same time as playing the game.

The variant tries to make the information needed to make decisions more readily available, to reduce the confusion, and then make the sequence of actions and decision-making more important and impactful, to increase the tension. I'm enjoying this variant, I hope someone else might enjoy it too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Andrews
Wales
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mb
This looks great!

I did a solo variant a while back called Alone Against the Mythos (discussion here on BGG, PDF download here on BGG).

I'm really looking forward to trying your variant out, Mythos is a great game!!

Craig
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike NZ
New Zealand
LOTR
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I shall be giving this one a run thru for sure! Thanks!cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hutchinson
United Kingdom
Canterbury
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I've just added a harder difficulty setting, and re-uploaded. In short:

Easy Mode: If you flip out a Monster from the Threat Deck, check your current location. If your location has a Gate symbol, the Monster attacks. You lose sanity equal to the Value of the Monster (big number top left), and make sacrifice allies to reduce the sanity loss by the value of that ally, (unless the Monster is Invisible or similar).

Allies that are sacrificed defending against monsters are discarded to the Graveyard and may not be moved to an Adventure Stack.

If your location has a Gate symbol, the Monster does not attack. However, your investigator sees the monster, and if the monster has a sanity loss (in a pentagon in the bottom left) then you must immediately apply that.

Hard Mode: If you flip out a Monster, the Monster attacks. This is regardless of whether your current location has a gate or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.