Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here we go again!

Let us enter:

The World of Productive Industrialists with Potential for Violence.

Rules

I will summarize the Rules of World 834 in the next post in the thread. Available Privileges will be described in the post after that. Please check the Rulebook for more detailed rules. I may skip some details, so feel free to ask questions if you have them.

Rulebook (pages 6-7 are very important)

The Map

The base map for World 834 is here:

Players

If you wish to join the game, sign up by posting. Indicate your desired colour if you have one (it will be determined randomly otherwise).

I will randomise seating order once we have 4 players and we will start the game.

Those that participated in PBF #8 will have a lock-out period of 24 hours before they will be accepted as players, to give new players a chance to get in. You may indicate interest before then, but won't be accepted until the time runs out.

Signed-up players in randomised seating order are:

1: russ (Russ) - Purple
2: Spielguy (Brent) - Green
3: Ranger33 (Joe) - Blue
4: JemL (Sophia) - White

Turns:

All auctions will be handled via blind bidding. The privileges will be auctioned individually (as previous all at once method was perhaps too confusing).

After privileges are purchased, turns in this game are fully deterministic (even fights). You just need to indicate what you are doing in each stage of your turn (as defined in the rules). Check other PBFs for examples.

Take-backs are allowed provided the next player has not taken their turn. Before you take your turn, please ensure the previous player played correctly ( or wait for me to do so by posting the new map).

Results:

The winner is:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Sophia

Results can be viewed here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: 504 PBF #9: World 834 (Sign Ups)
Rules
The following lists a summary of the rules of this World. Please look it over carefully.

Start of game:

Each players gets:
• $90
• 19 Residents (limited) - 1 for the turn order cards
• 20 Settlements (limited)

Players will have different capitals at the edge of the map determined at the start of the game in Phase 1 of the first turn.

Playing the game:

This game first has some setup for each round, then each player will take their turn. The round structure is as follows:

Phase 1: Player Order

In the very first round, there will be a blind bidding for player order. Each player will PM me a bid amount, with the minimum bid being $0. You can bid any full dollar amount (i.e., no cents). This bid money is taken regardless of what the other players bid.

In order of highest to lowest bid amount, the players will be able to choose their turn position for the first round and which city they want as their capital (which only matters for choosing your neighbours). In the case of a tie, losing bidders get $2 for each lost draw. That means that in the case you all bid the same amount, one player will end up with $6 extra.

While choosing capitals, your choice must be set up such that the two unchosen capitals are across from each other. Thus, if you are 1st or 2nd to place your capital, there will definitely be an opponent opposite you. After this choice, barracks will be placed in all 6 cities not chosen.

In every other round, the turn order is determined by the income of the previous round from high to low. In the case of ties, order will be reversed amongst tied players.

From the 2nd round onwards, according to the new player order, each player must pay taxes on their previous turn's income. The player in 1st pays $2 for each full $10 of their previous turn's income (approximately 20%) and the other players except the player in last place each pay $1 for each full $10 of their previous turn's income (approximately 10%).

Phase 2: Privileges

In the very first round, there will be 4 privileges available (you will see them before the blind bidding for turn order).

From the second round onwards, up to four new privileges will join any previously unsold privileges, ensuring there are never more than six available.

Players will then bid on each available privileges to me via PM that will be settled in an E-Bay like manner. I'll be running these auctions separately, although feel free to pre-program intended bids for future auctions if you want. Any winning bids will be paid and privileges will be distributed to players. The winning bid will be reduced to $1 more than the next-highest bid. In the case that two players bid the same amount, the one closer to the starting player in seating order will win the auction.

The minimum bid for Privileges starts at $20. If everybody passes on a privilege in the turn it is drawn, it will have a new minimum bid of $0 in the next round. If everybody passes on it again in the following round (remembering that $0 is a valid bid), it will be removed from the game.

The available privileges and the method for bidding on privileges will be summarised in a further post below.

Note that a player may never have two copies of the same privilege.

Phase 3: Player turns

Each player, in the turn order determined in Phase 1, performs the following steps of Phase 3:

Phase 3C: Purchase Residents

Purchase residents at a cost of $10 each and place them in owned tiles. You can only double population (settlements+residents) in each tile, except for the capital. You must also ensure you do not exceed the stacking limit of the capital (9 of your residents) or the other tiles (7 of your residents).

Phase 3D: Residents

Residents can each take one and only one of the following actions:
• Move to an empty land tile and turn into a settlement.
• Move to a city you aren't in, paying extra cash, and turn into a trading house (see below).
• Move to a land tile owned by another player and attack it (see below)
• Move to a tile you are in with an exhasted resident and take another action
• Move to a tile you are in and exhaust.
• Participate in building a plant (see below)

Phase 3F: Factories

The player may purchase up to 1 factory on each city where he has a settlement. The first factory on a city costs $20. The second costs $30 and the third costs $40. No more factories can be buit beyond the third.

A player may build multiple factories in a city (requiring multiple turns).

There are no fights in cities, so factories won't be destroyed.

Phase 3H: Income

You get $20 for your capital.

You get $15 for each factory you own.

Privileges may give you extra income.

The income amount is kept aside for the next round's taxes.

Fights

There are no fights in cities.

When fighting, you each remove one army (first residents, then the settlement) from the tile under attack. You can take over plants that are neutralized with a further resident.

Trading Houses

Building a trading house in a city costs money. You must spend $10 for every trading house already present. This includes the barracks in cities not chosen as capitals, so the first one always costs $10.

Plants
Building a plant needs a number of residents depending on the type of plant:
• Ore plants are built on mountains and cost 3 residents
• Wood plants are built on forests and cost 2 residents
• Fish plants are built on tiles adjacent to water and cost 2 residents
• Wheat plants are built on fields and cost 1 resident
• Cattle plants ae built on grassland and cost 1 resident

There can be only 1 plant on each tile. When you build a plant, you also get a goods token of that type.

End of game:

At the end of a game round, if any one player has all of the following:
• 4 trading houses
• 5 goods

Then the game ends.

Scoring:

The player can exchange any too goods for a different good.

The player can then sell two goods to each trading house (including HQ).

Each player gets 2VP for each trading house (including HQ) they own.

They also get VP for sold sets of goods:
• 1 type: 1VP
• 2 types: 3VP
• 3 types: 6VP
• 4 types: 10VP
• 5 types: 15VP

In the case of a VP tie, the tied player with most plants wins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Privileges
This post details the privileges. The code, a short name and a description of each is provided.

Step I:
I(1) - Extra Res. - You can purchase 1 more resident than your population on tiles (max. of 7/9 remains the same).
I(5) - $10 Inc. - Your income is increased by $10.
I(11) - 2VP - You get 2 victory points.

Step II:
II(2) - No tax - You don't pay taxes during Phase 1
II(3) - $20 Fac. - Factories cost $20.
II(4) - $8 Res. - Residents cost $8.
II(6) - T.H. up - You get to deliver one extra good to one trading house.
II(7) - M->G - Plants can be built on mountain tiles for 1 resident.
II(9) - 3VP - You get 3 victory points.
II(11) - Extra Act. - One resident per round can perform another action after exhausting the first time.
II(12) - $20 Inc. - Your income is increased by $20.

Step III:
III(6) - 5VP - You get 5 victory points.
III(8) - Free T.H. - Your trading houses are free to build.

The Privileges can be viewed in the image below:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I must say... This particular combination of modules looks like it won't actually work well to me. Hopefully I'm wrong and the players can show me how this world can shine. Even if it doesn't work so well, that's part of 504.

Let's see what happens...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Mair
United States
Roy
Utah
flag msg tools
The Meeple Nation Boardgame Podcast - 30 minutes a week!
badge
BGGCon 2015 or Bust
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to join again, with green.
I did see the lockout clause. Just want first dibs if you hit that mark.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe B
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
I've never done a PBF forum but I don't know if my copy of 504 will get played any other way haha. What is the usual pace of these things, one turn a day? I'll read over this some more after work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sophia Lechner
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interest! Waiting 24 hours. I can do this. I can do this.

I agree, this game looks terrible. Terrible. I can't even bear the thought of those I love having to play it; it's a crime against both god and man. Everyone who's reading this should thank me for signing up so they don't have to.

Seriously, though, it looks pretty good. I predict a rather more abrupt income/VP switch than usual. And auctions are always good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ranger33 wrote:
I've never done a PBF forum but I don't know if my copy of 504 will get played any other way haha. What is the usual pace of these things, one turn a day? I'll read over this some more after work.

Yeah, if you can post once a day, that's fine. If you can check in more frequently and/or pre-program some bids during the auctions, that's even better, but not necessary.

It's also a good idea to stick around for a little while after you make your move, just in case there's any mistakes. Subscribing to the thread will help with that, especially if you set up immediate e-mail notifications.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe B
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
I would like to play. I probably won't be a very strong opponent since I'm a relative newbie to Euro games and have no experience with 504 beyond opening the box once and sorting all the pieces. It would be great to actually play it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're in, Joe!

This one is pretty much tossing you in at the deep end, so it will be interesting for you.

One suggestion I'd make is to be careful with valuing privileges. Check out our PBF of World 375 for some ideas on how they can play out.

Note also that I am simplifying the auction mechanic from what we had in that PBF, so you don't have to prepare all your bids at once.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe B
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Yeah, this one looks pretty involved, but I will be studying the rules and checking out the previous matches while I can. At least in this format if I take 30 minutes to make a move it won't matter much to everyone else!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe B
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Alright, so I've got my board set up and just spent over an hour reading the rules (first time learning one besides 123 so I had go over the general rules and how the Book of Worlds works, not that bad after you've sorted it out). I think I understand everything but had a couple questions.

1) I know you can't fight in cities, but can you move residents through them? After you've built a trading house.

2) If you take over someone's plant, do you take that good away from them? I would assume so, otherwise there wouldn't be any reason to attack/defend them. The rules don't specifically say you take away the good, just the plant. Just so I understand for sure.

3) I assume that at your Capitol you don't have to put down a trading house, it already counts as that? Does your Capitol also count for the game ending condition of four trading houses?

4) Can I be teal/blue?

After thinking it over it seems to me that this iteration could be a lot of fun. I see potential for a couple of different strategies, we'll see how it goes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Join, after 24h of course

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ranger33 wrote:
Alright, so I've got my board set up and just spent over an hour reading the rules (first time learning one besides 123 so I had go over the general rules and how the Book of Worlds works, not that bad after you've sorted it out). I think I understand everything but had a couple questions.

Questions are great! If you come up with any more, make sure to ask again.

Quote:
1) I know you can't fight in cities, but can you move residents through them? After you've built a trading house.

Yes, the first resident you'd move into a city would exhaust, but others could move across it via the 'in a hurry' mechanic.

Quote:
2) If you take over someone's plant, do you take that good away from them? I would assume so, otherwise there wouldn't be any reason to attack/defend them. The rules don't specifically say you take away the good, just the plant. Just so I understand for sure.

I believe not. The only reason why taking over a plant seems important is for the tie-break condition in the end-game.

Quote:
3) I assume that at your Capitol you don't have to put down a trading house, it already counts as that? Does your Capitol also count for the game ending condition of four trading houses?

Yes, your HQ in your capital counts as a trading house. The final scoring makes this clear. I hadn't thought about it counting for the end-game, but indeed it should.

Quote:
4) Can I be teal/blue?

Indeed you can. It's reserved for you now.

Quote:
After thinking it over it seems to me that this iteration could be a lot of fun. I see potential for a couple of different strategies, we'll see how it goes.

I'm just worried the game will end early, as the ending conditions seem fairly low, given you can't take away a player's trading houses nor their goods, but I guess we'll see.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, there are still 3 positions available for new players. The cutoff time is in about 14.5 hours, though. At that point, Brent, Sophia and Jack will be added to fill any gaps that are left.

I'm sure they don't mind sitting one out, so feel free to join up if you're at all interested!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Capital choice does not only matter for neighbors but also for the map you get next to you. And I think you forgot to mention that the cities not chosen, must be on the opposite site of the board

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, I didn't notice that part of 4.III. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Hi, I've finally gotten to play 504 a few times (123 and 132) in real life, and I'd be happy to join this PBF if it's still possible. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're in russ. Any choice of colour? All but blue are available (although Brent wants to take green if he makes it in again).

Sorry Jack, this pushes you out...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Thanks - you can give me a random or last-wanted color.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefaan Henderickx
Belgium
Kallo
Antwerp
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Subscribed to see how this one will go. Good Luck to all players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
12 hours from now will be the cut-off time for new sign-ups.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe B
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Thanks for the answers! I think I'm clear on all the rules now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sophia Lechner
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The trading house costs listed on the map are $10 too high (correct in the rules post, though).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JemL wrote:
The trading house costs listed on the map are $10 too high (correct in the rules post, though).

Agreed. I'll have that fixed for when we start.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.