5 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: San Fransisco rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: flgs [+] sanfran [+] california [+] [View All]
michel angelo
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Hi I am looking for the best game shops in San fransisco. (board games, strategy - like caylus, catan, etc.)

Michel
(michelangelo69@hotmail.com)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Campbell
United States
Excelsior
MN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's been three years since I lived in the Bay Area. At the time, Endgame in Oakland (921 Washington Street, Oakland• 510.465.3637) was the best shop in the area. Great selection. Cool owner. Lots of gaming events.

Games of Berkeley on Shattuck (2151 Shattuck Ave, Berkeley, 94704 - (510) 540-7822) used to be a cool, funky little store until it was purchased by Games Keeper. Then it became a shiny happy store with shiny happy people accosting you with demos of the latest party game.

Another shop that was kind of small and funky was Gamescape on Divisidero in the City (333 Divisadero St., San Francisco, CA 94117 • (415) 621-4263). I heard rumors that there were some Robin Williams sightings at that store (I think he was a Warhammer fan at one point).

I'm sure much has changed in three years...so I let the current locals take it from here...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Yim
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are in downtown San Francisco, Jeffrey's Toys (on Market Street near Third Street) has a decent selection of Eurogames. It's conveniently located but the prices are sometimes slightly above retail.

Gamescape, mentioned above, is probably the best real game store in San Francisco. They are friendly and carry a lot of board games, but they don't seem to know too much about them. Their knowledge is weighted toward miniatures and CCGs, I think.

I'm partial to Endgame in Oakland, though, because of its friendliness and the fact that it hosts game events. Unfortunately, I moved away from San Francisco.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
Canada
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was in SF last month. Gamescape was good. They had a nice friendly atmosphere, pretty good selection, and average prices (for a brick-and-mortar store). It's on a major bus route, so it's easy to find.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barak Engel
United States
Oakland
CA
flag msg tools
And the Geek shall Inherit the Earth
badge
I am the unholy trinity: Agnostic, Atheist, and Skeptic.
mbmbmb
I'd mention Eudemonia, in berkeley, at the end of University st right next to, well, the university.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls