Rob Williams
United Kingdom
Fareham
Hants
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi All,

I have a friend who is going on a sales conference in Pleasanton a tteh end of the month. As I want to make good use of the exchange rate, I would like him to pickup a few games for me.

So, can anyone reccomend a store in Pleasanton or surrounding area where he can grab me a few.

This is the local mall http://www.shopstoneridge.com/static/node1549.jsp but I dont recognise many of the shops.

Thanks
Rob

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Campbell
United States
Excelsior
MN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to live in Pleasanton (3 years ago) and there aren't any good game stores close by. The closest one that I could go to was in Fremont, but they have apparently closed (Scenario).

I would suggest Endgame in Oakland (921 Washington Street, Oakland• 510.465.3637). It's about a 30 - 45 minute drive from Pleasanton.

BTW - If your friend likes Thai food I would suggest having him check out Little Home Thai Cuisine (4000 Pimlico Dr Ste 106, Pleasanton, CA, 925.251.9877). Excellent food and good prices.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Rogers
United States
San Ramon
California
flag msg tools
I agree with the previous comment. Nothing in Pleansanton (that I'm aware of).

Endgame is a very fine gamestore. For something a little closer they could try Blackdiamond Games (www.blackdiamondgames.com).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Alvaro
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When making a trip to the East Bay, no self respecting gamer should deny himself the experience of the awesomeness that is EndGame! It's a great store. And if you can time your trip to visit on a Wednesday night you can stay and play board games on their mezzanine game play area. You can even take the BART public transportation system if you don't have an automobile.

http://www.endgameoakland.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Wilson
United States
Pleasanton
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I still live in Pleasanton, and the previous posters are correct. There are perhaps four viable options for game shopping, and they're all about a 25-30 minutes drive away.

Endgame is in Oakland. It has a very good selection, and a great play space. It's also accessible via public transit.
http://www.endgameoakland.com/

Black Diamond Games is in Walnut Creek. It's a newer store, with a smaller space than Endgame, and no play space that I've seen (I could be wrong). Public transit access is possible, I think, but much more difficult.
http://blackdiamondgames.com

Games Unlimited is in Concord. It's been around for a while, and has a lot of mass market sorts of games. It does have a wall or two with games we're perhaps more interested in. I wouldn't consider the ownership here very knowledgeable, though.
http://www.willowsshoppingcenter.com/stores_games_unlimited....

Hobbytown USA is in Tracy. It's part of a hobby store chain, so there'll be remote-controlled cars, model trains, etc., but it does have an aisle with games. The owner is very enthusiastic, but the selection isn't wonderful. They don't appear to have a web presence.

Edit: Updated to reflect that I wasn't the third to reply. shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Endgame and BlackDiamond are both good suggestions - but be forewarned that what we consider "local" might not be local for you.

Pleasanton to Endgame: 24 miles (39 km)
Pleasanton to BlackDiamond: 20 miles (32 km)

We are assuming has a car. If he does not have a car (and is a gamer) - I would be happy to meet up with your friend to play games. As I have plans to visit both stores before the end of the month - I might even be able to pick up the games you wish and then hand them over to your friend - assuming the details all work out. Contact me off-list if you wish to explore this further.

Edit: Dave beat me to it with some details. BlackDiamond does have a table available to play games - but most of the time it seems to have miniatures being played on it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Ramirez
United States
Saint Petersburg
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I live near Pleasanton and I concur that there are no actual boardgame stores in the area. There are several card stores, however. Sportscards & Chocolate comes to mind.
In Stoneridge Mall there is only a Games Workshop shop.
Endgame has a good selection and can be reached via BART since there is a stop near Oracle on the border between Pleasanton and Dublin along the 580 Freeway.
Games Unlimited has two locations in the East Bay, both along the 680 Freeway. One in Concord/Pleasant Hill in the Willows Shopping Mall and one in Danville in the Livery & Mercantile. The Danville store focuses on games and toys for kids but has a fair selection of advanced boardgames.
Game Kastle is in Santa Clara. I've never been to their store but they seem like they have a decent selection from what I've seen at game conventions.
Speaking of conventions, there'll be a medium sized one in San Ramon (just north of Pleasanton on the 680 Freeway) on the weekend of the 16th through the 19th.
Black Diamond has a very nice shop also just off of the 680 Freeway in Walnut Creek.
In San Francisco, there is mostly Gamescape and then Gator Games South of the city in San Mateo. (Both of these would be about an hour to an hour and a half drive from Pleasanton. Neither are particularly BART accessible.)

Best of luck.

CER

ps What games are you looking for?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Williams
United Kingdom
Fareham
Hants
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the responses, unfortunately my friend isn't much of a gamer and I don't think he will have a car. He's only there for a few days of sales conference.

I was looking for

Power Grid
Shogun
Game of Thrones

Thought hammer will deliver to the hotel so just need to persuade him to take the biggest bags he has ;-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Jones
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
You might not need a car. Two stores in Berkeley are only a couple blocks from the downtown Berkeley BART station: Games of Berkeley and Eudaemonia. Both are very nice game stores. I'm not familiar with the Pleasanton BART station and whether it's within walking distance of conference centers. The BART ride is probably about half an hour. I don't know if your friend would be willing to do that. I'd say he probably shouldn't spend all his time in Pleasanton one way or another. He could take BART into San Francisco and Berkeley is a short detour.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Campbell
United States
Excelsior
MN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
morningstar wrote:
You might not need a car. Two stores in Berkeley are only a couple blocks from the downtown Berkeley BART station: Games of Berkeley and Eudaemonia. Both are very nice game stores. I'm not familiar with the Pleasanton BART station and whether it's within walking distance of conference centers. The BART ride is probably about half an hour. I don't know if your friend would be willing to do that. I'd say he probably shouldn't spend all his time in Pleasanton one way or another. He could take BART into San Francisco and Berkeley is a short detour.

I concur!

BART is centrally located and very close to the convention hotels in Pleasanton. You can't miss a chance to visit the People's Republic of Berkeley. Tell your buddy to make a day of it. He needs to visit the UC Berkeley campus. Take a walk down Telegraph Avenue...visit Moe's Books and Cody's Books. Have a slice of greasy pizza at Blondie's or a Bratwurst at Top Dog. And just "people-watch" in general. It's an experience not to be missed.

Pleasanton is a fine city...but it's your typical sleepy suburb. Berkeley is...another planet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Major Sholto wrote:
Take a walk down Telegraph Avenue...visit Cody's Books.

Hard to do .... Cody's has closed their Telegraph store.

PS - Endgame is also very convenient (1 block) from BART also.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Campbell
United States
Excelsior
MN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RPardoe wrote:
Major Sholto wrote:
Take a walk down Telegraph Avenue...visit Cody's Books.

Hard to do .... Cody's has closed their Telegraph store.

PS - Endgame is also very convenient (1 block) from BART also.

Noooooo!!! Say it ain't so. That was an institution.

After a quick Google search, I see that they've abandoned the hippie/counter-culture of Telegraph for the Shee-shee Yuppification of Fourth Street.

I also hated to see the closure of Amsterdam Art on University.

All things must pass.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls