Hide
10 Posts

Mansions of Madness» Forums » Rules

Subject: Question regarding Exploration cards and "psychic sensitivity" rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J H
msg tools
So with Gloria's special skill, she can "look at all exploration cards in one chosen room, once per game". The question is... does this include exploration cards that are under obstacle and/or lock cards?

Say the bedroom has 1 obstacle card and 2 exploration cards under it, can she look at the exploration cards under the lock (of course needing to actually travel there to get them)? Likewise with cards under obstacle cards?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I always interpreted the whole stack being referred to as the "exploration stack" so she would see all of them, rather than just the cards referred to as "exploration" cards.

Anyone else?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
Exploration cards under lock/obstacle cards are still exploration cards. Gloria gets to see them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matěj Jan Morávek
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Otherwise it would make her special ability rather useless. It still is very hard to use effectively (I never play with this option, personally).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J H
msg tools
salty53 wrote:
Exploration cards under lock/obstacle cards are still exploration cards. Gloria gets to see them.

Can she look at the obstacle and /or lock cards too? Or just the exploration cards under them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Dilloo
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
Everything is relative to perception, and your perception is limited.
badge
The Ginger Ninja
mbmbmbmbmb
kungfro wrote:
I always interpreted the whole stack being referred to as the "exploration stack" so she would see all of them, rather than just the cards referred to as "exploration" cards.

Anyone else?

I don't remember this coming up too often (although I remember testing Gloria quite a bit, for The Laboratory), but I never interpret this ability as being able to look at the lock and obstacle cards. Although she certainly can look at the Exploration cards *under* locks and obstacles.

Firstly, it just doesn't seem thematic to also look at locks/obstacles, but it is also supported by the RAW. Under the descriptions of the components, there are separate sections for Lock/Obstacle cards and Exploration cards (weapons, tomes, clues and the dreaded Nothing of Interest). Her ability only specifically refers to these Exploration cards, not Locks and obstacles.

Hope that helps,
Ken

PS: So ready for a new scenario for this. FFG, are you listening

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bigloo33 wrote:
Firstly, it just doesn't seem thematic to also look at locks/obstacles

OK I have to at least ask what your reasoning is. It's a psychic ability that lets her see things like weapons and objects and even complicated clues. Why would locks and obstacles be off the table?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Dilloo
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
Everything is relative to perception, and your perception is limited.
badge
The Ginger Ninja
mbmbmbmbmb
kungfro wrote:
bigloo33 wrote:
Firstly, it just doesn't seem thematic to also look at locks/obstacles

OK I have to at least ask what your reasoning is. It's a psychic ability that lets her see things like weapons and objects and even complicated clues. Why would locks and obstacles be off the table?

Ha, you assume there is reasoning! It was just my interpretation, thematically, which probably isn't worth a ton. Psychic powers to see inside a room is pretty cool; being able to inspect a lock, or complex wiring seems like a bit of s stretch. Even for someone as flawed and talented as Gloria

The rules-as-written never really made me question this, so I haven't given it a ton of thought. Gloria is pretty sparingly played, which might be a reason to houserule it your way. Gives her a bit of a bump, anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
The rules as written definitely don't let Gloria read lock/obstacle cards, but I think a house-rule allowing it is reasonable. It actually makes her ability conceptually simpler -- "look at all the cards" versus "look at all the cards of this type" -- and that once-per-game, like Gloria herself, is pretty unexciting if you're not cheesing it to determine the objective early.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Zee
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
salty53 wrote:
The rules as written definitely don't let Gloria read lock/obstacle cards, but I think a house-rule allowing it is reasonable. It actually makes her ability conceptually simpler -- "look at all the cards" versus "look at all the cards of this type" -- and that once-per-game, like Gloria herself, is pretty unexciting if you're not cheesing it to determine the objective early.

Hence in Minimum Fixes in the files section, I changed her ability to the following:

"Once per game, select a room and the keeper reads out to you the cards in the room. If Clue 1 is in the room, the keeper reveals it’s there (but not its text) and you gain a Skill Point."

The ability to read all the cards plus a possible Skill Point bonus makes the ability a bit more powerful and interesting. The change so that the text of Card 1 is not read out prevents "cheesing it to determine the objective early". This changed version, also, tries to be true to the intention of the original design.

To be honest though, even my version is not that great an ability and it's not an ability I'd select myself if I was playing. An alternate practical solution to changing the card is just remove it from the box so a player can't select it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.