6 Posts

Blue Moon» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Pillar vs Flit - the early years rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Caleb Blake
Australia
flag msg tools

And then stood Pillar against the swooping hordes of Flit. The scene was set for a vicious battle on the plains of Blue Moon.

Yes - so it was a Pillar vs Flit game. Pillar ended the game 2 dragons up. We've found Pillar too good for Flit on two occasions now. Actually, I think with slightly better play, the Pillar could have done a little better than this victory. I don't think my opponent always plays his caterpillars quite as effectively as they could be played.

Flit immediately did some damage by playing the Terrah card that makes the player discard 2. Both disclose cards were discarded which was not quite the bleeding I was expecting.

Some early jostling put Pillar in the lead by 1 dragon - a leadership play to cheat Pillar out of another dragon left Flit still in the running, and the Wild and shielded Mimix came out leaving Flit feeling a little better until it was drawn back up into the hand again with some special text. Damnation!

Some cheap victories to the Flit with early retreats from Pillar certainly left the game open.

A power struggle occurred in which Flit was really throwing down the gauntlet. My earth was all-powerful and it needed to draw out the shielded Wild Mimix before dealing a vital blow with 8+ cards already committed to the battle. I was even prepared to have to discard to some caterpillars if necessary to secure it.

Unfortunately, the one card that I definitely didn't want to see came up? Can you guess what it is? I'll let you guess - it's the kind of card that simply won't come out except in this kind of battle. Hmmmmmm.

There was no way to recover from that 2 dragon snatch from Pillar.

The chance to lure a dragon back with a 3 character discard was always 1 character card beyond my means. I did take the game back to even stevens, but as you can image the effort to do so sucked up alot of my resources and in the last two plays Flit had to play and basically had to withdraw losing two dragons very cheaply which was an unfortunate end.

Flit certainly performed a little better against the Pillar, but I feel that Pillar could have at least taken 1 more dragon with better use of 1 of the caterpillar cards.

I think if Flit is looking to play a Booster pair that includes the "You take 1 dragon less card", I don't think that's the time to start putting down all your power cards (unless you think you're going to reach 6 cards by doing so). This was when the caterpillar came out.

The caterpillar cards just weren't effective for him as every time I retreated in a caterpillar conflict it never had anything to do with the caterpillar card - so I feel that the battle could have had a worse result than it did.

This game I was a bit character heavy in the early stages, but I did manage to get a couple of cheap victories by playing cards which disabled power text etc.. these coaxed immediate (and unexpected to me) withdrawals.

...and so the screams of rage were heard throughout the skies of Blue Moon as the Flit retreated in tatters from the victorious Pillar.

Regards
Caleb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb Blake
Australia
flag msg tools
I'm responding to my own session report here.

But I think I did learn something from my defeat to Pillar about my Flit deck - and that is, the value I place on particular character cards has to be flexible depending on whom I am playing.

For example. The 4/4, 4/2 and 2/4 cards I place high value on, but actually against Pillar there are a couple of 2/2 characters which are possibly more valuable. Anything that neutralised power text in particular or "Don't play your boosters" or even "Don't play your supports" are going to rankle Pillar as that's where all their power is. And it's not like they can just wait until you've deactivated that character card with a new character card because you'll just retrieve it and smack them in the face with it again.

So you either force a possible quick retreat, or you force them to throw their biggest power character cards at you in the hope that retrieving your card to play again won't help you match their power.

Just a question though. If I get caterpillared in my opponent's turn and then I play Tittertweet, do I disable the caterpillar? First my guess - I would think the answer is no, mainly because I think in the order of preferences, "must" is higher than "ignore". However, if my opponent played a caterpillar along with Crysalus Frendus, I believe playing Tittertweet would disable the effect of Crysalus Frendus, basically because "ignore" is higher than general no keyword special power text.

Am I right - do I get a blue ribbon?

So in retrospect, I think the character cards I would have done well to recycle would have been Tittertweet, Cheepchirrup and Flitterflutter and Trillilling even though they are fairly low powered cards - they make up for it in their ability to disrupt Pillar attacks.

I was thinking that Bashdin would also be a good one, but actually I'm not so sure it's so great at the start of the match when recycling cards might actually be of benefit. I know my opponent wasn't that fussed about getting rid of his disclose cards and it allowed him to just keep in the fight while he replenished 3 or 4 cards rather than 1 or 2.

During a crucial battle (say my 8+ cards battle) if I could somehow get it out then, it might have been better for me as I believe my opponent was only staying in the fight because he felt he could win it (as did I). Playing a card that makes him choose 2 to discard at that point might make all the difference. That's just a thought though, it might not have made a difference at all and just given him more opportunities to get better cards in his hand.

Anyway - more thoughts from the bird man.

Regards
Caleb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AxonDomini
United States
Smithtown
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
caleb72 wrote:
Just a question though. If I get caterpillared in my opponent's turn and then I play Tittertweet, do I disable the caterpillar? First my guess - I would think the answer is no, mainly because I think in the order of preferences, "must" is higher than "ignore". However, if my opponent played a caterpillar along with Crysalus Frendus, I believe playing Tittertweet would disable the effect of Crysalus Frendus, basically because "ignore" is higher than general no keyword special power text.

Am I right - do I get a blue ribbon?

Actually, no.

The only text that trumps "ignore" is "I must" (as used in the TuTu cards, for example), not just "must". Thus "you must" does not trump "ignore", and Tittertweet would indeed cancel the effects of a caterpillar card.

And I definitely agree with you on the relative value of the disruptive Flit characters vs. those with higher power. My wife is a great Flit player, and she uses the disruptive characters to excellent effect against the Pillar. The Pillar are extremely dependent on the power texts on their boosters, and Twittertweet (ignore power texts), Cheepchirrup (ignore boosters) and Trillilling (may not play more than one card into your combat area) are probably the three most dangerous cards in the Flit arsenal when playing against the Pillar. Flitterflutter (ignore supports) is annoying, but not in the same league as the other three.

Played well, the Flit can be a major difficulty for the Pillar. Try a few more games and I think you'll agree.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffk wrote:
The only text that trumps "ignore" is "I must" (as used in the TuTu cards, for example), not just "must". Thus "you must" does not trump "ignore", and Tittertweet would indeed cancel the effects of a caterpillar card.

Absolutely. But someone must have made the same mistake before, as otherwise I'm sure I wouldn't have put a question about this into the FAQ. The Buka, yes, pre-emptive questions, and the general stuff, yes, not all asked as such. But pretty much all of the rest, someone asked it (or at least an equivalent question, or a question which to answer needed the general principle questions).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb Blake
Australia
flag msg tools
Ah - thanks for the clarifications guys.

I've read the order of preference numerous section in the FAQ numerous times, but obviously only the "must" really stuck with me.

That makes that character card an absolute bomb against Pillar then because it can be used pre-emptively and reactively. Wise move for Pillar in many cases might be to retreat straight away when this card comes out. Might lose a dragon but I lose the bomb.

The FAQ are great by the way. They've helped us clarify many things.

Regards
Caleb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Stude
United States
Farmington Hills
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shyeah, heck yeah it is. When I was very new to the game and actually printed the thing out in entirety. I tried printing the new updates a couple of times, but they came so quickly that I eventually gave up trying to keep a hardcopy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls