Canada
Newcastle
Ontario
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi folks.

I am going to Ottawa on business next week. While I'm there I was wondering if anyone knows of a good gaming store somewhere in the downtown area that would be worthwhile for me to visit?

Thanks in advance

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Ross
Canada
Arnprior
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fandom II at 162 Laurier Avenue West:

http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=%22Fandom+II%22+ottaw...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Montreuil
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your best bet is:

Fandom II
Address : 162 Laurier Avenue West, Ottawa, ON K1P 5J4
Telephone : 613-236-2972
Category : Games & Game Supplies, Hobby & Model Construction Supplies

Downtown, very central, good selection.

Enjoy!

mark
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Diosi
Canada
Newcastle
Ontario
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michel Fortin
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree. Fandom II is a good bet. There's also Mondes & Merveilles at Hull/Gatineau (across the border!!!). More expensive but considerably more choice.

I recommend you "search near Ottawa" here:
http://gamestoredb.com/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Downtown on Bank St, not too far from Fandom is Strategy Games. They specialize in chess, but carry a good selection of board games. Their prices are usually a bit higher than Fandom's, but sometimes they'll have stuff on the shelf that Fandom has sold out of.

Comic Book Shoppe II and The Silver Snail, both comic book stores on Bank, also carry a smaller selection of board games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
If you find yourself in the southwest outskirts, you may want to pay a visit to "Toys on Fire" (at the RioCan Marketplace, Greenbank at Strandherd). Prices ain't great, but of Ottawa-side-of-the-river stores, its selection is probably second only to Fandom. I'd say the selection is slightly better than the Strategy Game Store's selection of English-langauge titles (Strategy Game Store has a number of French-langauge games and editions), but better than all the other comic or hobby shops that typically have a single shelf of games and seldom go much deeper than Settlers/TicketToRide/Carcassonne/Tolkien/Munchkin.

Last I checked, "Toys On Fire" had one full aisle dedicated to board games... including titles from Avalon Hill, Mayfair, Rio Grande, Steve Jackson Games, Fantasy Flight, and Days of Wonder. Prices on the high side. Staff doesn't seem to know much about games (MacFarlane Toys' figurines, Clix games, and CCGs seem to be their forte), so it's more of a local-store-that-carries-games rather than a local-games-store.

If your visit to Ottawa includes next Tuesday and you're looking for something to do in the evening, there is a game group that meets at Broadway's (Fisher and Prince of Wales) at 6:30. A bit of a trek from downtown but if it's that or watching TV in a hotel room... for me, games would win every time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls