Subject: As a keeper, can I look through the event cards in the game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Máté Kovács
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
mb
I am a beginner keeper, and I never checked the event cards during the game, so it was a surprise for me as well. I always check the main objective, to see, how can I win.

But can I check what will be the upcoming events?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff C
msg tools
You cannot.

Per page 11 of the rules under Event Step: “The keeper and investigators may not look at the face of an Event card until it is resolved.”
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Máté Kovács
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
mb
That make sense, thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Garramone
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends on how you want to play the game, I guess. I play the game as much as an RPG like experience as possible, so I read every last thing. This allows me, as the Keeper, to make a more thematic game for the players and also shapes what cards I play to keep the narrative flowing.

If you're playing strictly Keeper vs players in a contest to win, then play by the rules as stated above. I just don't think it's near as rewarding to play that way. I would rather play another game if I'm going all out Keeper vs Players. Not to mention, I think the Keeper has an advantage from personal play experience. If I mini/max my Keeper Cards to the hilt and take advantage of every rule and milk every edge, it makes for a blah game I think. But that's just me. I'm sure others may differ.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Thompson
United States
Laurel
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Keesvanloomacklin wrote:
Depends on how you want to play the game, I guess. I play the game as much as an RPG like experience as possible, so I read every last thing. This allows me, as the Keeper, to make a more thematic game for the players and also shapes what cards I play to keep the narrative flowing.

If you're playing strictly Keeper vs players in a contest to win, then play by the rules as stated above. I just don't think it's near as rewarding to play that way. I would rather play another game if I'm going all out Keeper vs Players. Not to mention, I think the Keeper has an advantage from personal play experience. If I mini/max my Keeper Cards to the hilt and take advantage of every rule and milk every edge, it makes for a blah game I think. But that's just me. I'm sure others may differ.

I agree with William. If the keeper doesn't read the event cards, the objective and the clue cards before the game, he/she really has no clue what is going on, and it's difficult to fill in the blanks for the other players with what is going on, or really how you are supposed to be playing the Keeper action cards. I've mentioned in a similar thread about my first experience as keeper trying to play by the rules for House Lynch.
One of the action cards allowed me to keep playing Maniacs after the first one was killed. And when the players asked why I was able to do that, I said "I think the house is full of insane people that for some reason are helping Lynch. This isn't the same crazy person. This is another one. When people come into the house, they go crazy and just hang out here chasing people around with axes. But I honestly don't know how this fits the story at all. We'll soon find out though."
Well, if you've played scenario #1, that isn't what is going on at all. And I shouldn't have been spending every bit of threat I had trying to throw a Maniac on the board to get mowed down by McGlenn every 2 turns.
An to be honest, I completely ruined scenario #1 with my halfassed theory about what was going on.
If I had only spent 5 minutes reading the event, objective and clue cards, I not only would have been able to explain the maniac(s), but I also wouldn't have kept throwing maniac after maniac on the board, which was a super lame strategy looking back.

I understand the intent of keeping it all secret so that everyone has the joy of discovery. And so that everyone is on even ground. But, the reality is that the Keeper has to hold the story aloft, and as the keeper you are an otherworldy malicious force intent on destroying either the investigators or the world through your machinations. If you don't have any idea what is going on, then how are you able to unfold your evil plans and foil the investigators?

If the game actually had an explanation in the keeper guide for each scenario about the whole story and why you have certain cards at your disposal, and why items are strewn about the way that they are, and how that ties in with the clue string, then there wouldn't be a need to read all of the cards first to wrap your brain around things.

It's only my opinion, but I believe that every scenario is better when you understand what is going on before you even start. (except for the keeperless scenario in Call of the Wild).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcelo Alonso
Brazil
São Paulo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Terry, the keeper needs a lot more information to keep the investigators in the mood of the game and story. It's really really hard to do that without knowing what will happen. I played both ways and I can tell you this game works a lot better and people will have a lot more fun if you see the keeper more as a storyteller/conductor then as another player.
I've already even considered making an organized mythos so the cards are draw and used in the same "rhythm"as the story progresses, but I thought that might be cheating too much, anyone has any thoughts on that matter?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.