Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rich Keiser
United States
Waunakee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Brian Eno fanMicrobadge: Neil Young fanMicrobadge: Queen fanMicrobadge: John Fahey fanMicrobadge: Rickie Lee Jones fan
This is the discussion thread for the math trade used to communicate any math trade updates, announcements from the moderator, links to final results, and general discussion, and Q&A.

Request List: See What Other People Are Requesting

Trade list: This is where you post the games for trade

Tutorials:
Math Trades
Online Want List Generator Wiki http://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/OLWLG

Key dates (all times are Central Standard Time)

goldencamel Open for posting games for trade: Noon, Sunday, January 31, 2016 until Noon, Sunday, February 7, 2016.

goldencamel Want list submission period: Noon, Sunday, February 7, 2016 until 9 PM Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Want lists and results will be posted by 10 PM on Wednesday evening.

goldencamel Face-to-face trade of items: 10 AM Saturday, February 13, 2016 at I’m Board game store in Middleton, Wisconsin.
6917 University Avenue, Middleton, WI 53562
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Keiser
United States
Waunakee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Brian Eno fanMicrobadge: Neil Young fanMicrobadge: Queen fanMicrobadge: John Fahey fanMicrobadge: Rickie Lee Jones fan
Some Things to Remember
Once the math trade results are posted, please keep these things in mind:

1. Try to arrange the trades via the BGG trade mechanism. This means that the your and your trading partner's traded items must be marked as "For trade". Either side of the trade party can initiate the trade and send it to the other. Within the OLWLG results summary file, clicking on your trading partner's name will bring up the BGG trade window.

This process will allow both you and your trading partner to build your respective trade ratings and have a record of the trade.

2. Remember to look over the "who wanted mine" link via the OLWLG to determine if there are any additional trades you want to offer outside of the official math trade is complete.

3. There will be gaming following the F2F game exchange.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Keiser
United States
Waunakee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Users That Have Yet To Submit Want Lists
With 0 minutes to go, the following users have not submitted a want list:

# MISSING 60 WANTS FROM 5 USER(s):
# bikefreak (4)
# LeeKenshin (1)
# nightglider1 (2)
# Sacsquash (46)
# TheHandOfDoom (7)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Keiser
United States
Waunakee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
List of Official Proxies/Couriers from Outside of Madison
1 If you live outside the local Madison-metro area and would like to be a proxy for other traders in your area, please contact me and I will list your userID info here.

2 If you are interested in the math trade, but can't travel to Madison for the face-to-face trade, please check this post to see if anyone can proxy for you. You will be responsible for communicating and coordinating with the proxy and please don't list any items unless you are 100% sure that you have a proxy.

None for 2016.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Keiser
United States
Waunakee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Official Results
The results are now posted. Check the OLWLG for details. Here is a summary:

http://bgg.activityclub.org/olwlg/trades-summary.cgi?listid=...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Keiser
United States
Waunakee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Historical Madison No-Ship Math Trade Data
27 users participating
22 users with at least one trade
81 trades
32.1% trades (listings / offered)
246 Items listed

26 users participating
19 users with at least one trade
57 trades
20.7% trades (listings / offered)
277 Items listed

22 users participating
22 users with at least one trade
117 trades
24.0% trades (listings / offered)
373 Items listed

30 users participating
25 users with at least one trade
72 trades
23.8% trades (listings / offered)
253 Items listed

32 users participating
30 users with at least one trade
115 trades
35.2% trades (listings / offered)
311 Items listed

37 users participating
28 users with at least one trade
51 trades
16.5% trades (listings / offered)
322 Items listed

41 users participating
31 users with at least one trade
97 trades
24.1% trades (listings / offered)
463 Items listed

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Keiser
United States
Waunakee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
New BGG Policy in Regards to Gift Certificates / Gift Cards
If you are planning on adding a listed Gift Certificate / Gift Card to your want list, please read the following BGG policy. In short, if you receive a GC, you must pay 3% of its value to BGG - it is like a direct sale of an item. In this case, you are giving away a game and receiving a GC (cash).

Cash Value Trades in Math Trades (and how to make a geek market listing for them)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Garbe
United States
Waukesha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you know the total number of items this math trade typically has? (Just curious)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Keiser
United States
Waunakee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
garbagerunner wrote:
Do you know the total number of items this math trade typically has? (Just curious)
No, but if you review my contributions, you can look back at every year that I ran it. Prior to 2012, another gent admin'd it for several years.

If you dig up those numbers, feel free to add them here. I'll place them into the stats rundown above.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Garbe
United States
Waukesha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
darthhugo wrote:
garbagerunner wrote:
No, but if you review my contributions, you can look back at every year that I ran it. Prior to 2012, another gent admin'd it for several years.

If you dig up those numbers, feel free to add them here. I'll place them into the stats rundown above.

2012: 373
2013: 253
2014: ?
2015: 322
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Keiser
United States
Waunakee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
garbagerunner wrote:
darthhugo wrote:
garbagerunner wrote:

2012: 373
2013: 253
2014: ?
2015: 322
Thanks. In 2014, Dan managed the list due to a technical issue.

I'll add these numbers above.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Keiser
United States
Waunakee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Offer list now open
I decided to submit the offer list a bit early.

A. Please note that it may be 24 - 72 hours before the trade shows in OLWLG, so you must be patient.

B. If you don't see something listed on the OLWLG, but it is on the offer geeklist - it just means that I haven't synced the two... and you'll have to chew on your fingernails until I get to that (which I do periodically).

These two points are what most new MTers ask 99.993% of the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Keiser
United States
Waunakee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Dummy Items Being Added to Geeklist For Testing / Instructional Purposes
Madison MTers,

Just an FYI about some additions that will have no effect on our math trade, which are being added by another MT moderator. They need to complete an instructional video on MTs, and ours is currently active and of manageable size. He kindly asked if he could list several dummy items to our current MT, and since this will have no effect on us, I obliged to help out a fellow BGGer and MT moderator.

Therefore, starting around page 13 on the geeklist, you will see several items added by:

Matt D
United States
Peachtree corners
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

... just ignore them when establishing your want lists and he will do the same.

Thanks for this slight deviation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Peachtree corners
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Much appreciated guys!

I'll post a link here to the video once it's done. Hopefully it'll be a helpful guide for other math traders.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
endeavor
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hey all!
This will be my first math trade so sorry if I do something wrong, but as far as I understand it as long as I don't delete and I catch any mistake before my wishlist it will be ok. If anyone sees me do something stupid I welcome any advice you have for me. I look forward to trading with you all...soooooo ya know... pick my stuff, you'll like it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Keiser
United States
Waunakee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mafman6 wrote:
hey all!
This will be my first math trade so sorry if I do something wrong, but as far as I understand it as long as I don't delete and I catch any mistake before my wishlist it will be ok. If anyone sees me do something stupid I welcome any advice you have for me. I look forward to trading with you all...soooooo ya know... pick my stuff, you'll like it
Welcome to the world of math trades - where you will either have fun or be converted into Soylent Green by the moderator. INSERT EMOTICON OF CHOICE HERE

The "do not delete" rule is a relic of math trades, but one that I still respect and follow, because not everyone uses the OLWLG for their entire math trade process - some BGGers still click through the actual geeklist, write down the number of the item in which they are interested, and then they go to to the OLWLG and select that item.

The issue with deletions is that IF a trader does the above method AND they aren't paying perfect attention (happens, especially when recreational drugs are involved), they can mistakenly select the wrong item, because a deletion caused a rearrangement of all numbers after it. So they thought they wanted #36, but #36 isn't that number anymore, because someone deleted a previous item #. Sure... the titles different, but people make mistakes, especially with the Spector Wall of Text that is the OLWLG. Details get lost in the noise.

So, I place that burden on the lister to get it right; if they decide not to trade a game, because they got rid of it or changed their mind, it is just simple for them to NOT place any games against it on their want list - so it won't trade.

Like I said, rare... but when it happens, oh... that's a big effing mess.

If you want typical BGG drama over useless shit, read some of the threads on this issue within the MT and MT moderator threads. Fun stuff to waste your life on.

Enjoy, have fun, and thanks for participating in the guild and this MT.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Keiser
United States
Waunakee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
The MT is open for want list submissions
You have until 9 PM Wednesday, February 10, 2016 to submit your want lists. They can be submitted, then changed, then resubmitted as many times as you would like between now and then.

Good luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Keiser
United States
Waunakee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
New high-mark of participation
Madison MTers,

Congrats on breaking previous levels of participation in the seventh year of this local MT.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
APK
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
I couldn't help but notice you noticing me noticing you
badge
mb
Thanks again for organizing. I have a question.

There are a few games being offered more than once by different users. If I do not put more than one copy of a game into my want list, then I do not need to use duplicate protection. Correct?

For example if both User X and User Y are offering Game B, but I only put User X's copy of Game B on my want list, I do not need duplicate protection. Is that right?

Thanks for your time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
endeavor
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
as far as I understand it:
even though they are both game B to the trade generator its actually item number 999 (B from X) and item number 123 (B from Y)
Your saying you only want item number 999 so no reason to need duplicate protection.

Considering I JUST learned this, could someone assure I'm actually right?
And is there a way to check I did my duplicating stuff right? I watched the following video and I think I'm ok but just looking for more resources to check against.

pause at 2:22. see how the two highlighted games are the same game but that first column has a different item #, thats what I'm talking about. Both antiki but to the generator its 1413826 and 1411447

ps. rahdo also has some videos up running through math trades but I don't remember him talking about what your worried about. His part two is what you would want to watch if you have the time.
add:

38:15
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
APK
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
I couldn't help but notice you noticing me noticing you
badge
mb
mafman6 wrote:
as far as I understand it:
even though they are both game B to the trade generator its actually item number 999 (B from X) and item number 123 (B from Y)
Your saying you only want item number 999 so no reason to need duplicate protection.
Thanks. That's how I interpreted it too and it makes the most sense. Going to roll with that!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Keiser
United States
Waunakee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
apkendrick wrote:

There are a few games being offered more than once by different users. If I do not put more than one copy of a game into my want list, then I do not need to use duplicate protection. Correct?

For example if both User X and User Y are offering Game B, but I only put User X's copy of Game B on my want list, I do not need duplicate protection. Is that right?

Thanks for your time.
Sorry for the late reply, but if I understand your ? correctly, if you want one of two duplicate games that are listed (as separate items) and you only have one of your items against both of them, then you don't need to mess with dupe protection, as there is 0% chance that you will get both of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Keiser
United States
Waunakee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
apkendrick wrote:

Thanks for your time.
Oh, I misread that. Since you didn't put both copies of the same item on your want list, there is again a 0% chance that you will get an item you didn't put on your want list. It would be like any other item in which you had no interest - if its not on your want list, you aren't ever going to get it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Keiser
United States
Waunakee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
OK Peeples, the math trade is officially over. You have received a PM from the OLWLG system, which will link you to a human-friendly (readable) summary of who gave what to whom.

Your next step is to meetup at I'm Board this coming Saturday @ 10AM. Play area. Mark your boxes with sticky notes with the BGG username of whom is receiving what game of yours and be aware that some users may have proxies dropping off and picking up games - and hopefully they will be well programmed so all confusion/communication protocols will be working great.

Another thing you can do, if you so please, is to create trade offers via the official BGG MT system - your game and the end recipient of said game.... this way, you and your trade partner can acquire some trade rating on BGG. Just have the game marked as for trade in your inventory and then use the results summary to create the trade. Just click on the recipients username and it will autolink to the BGG trade prop page.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Keiser
United States
Waunakee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Also, check out the Who Wanted Mine section of the MT's listing on the OLWLG, because you may see something offered against your item (s) that you can trade outside of the MT.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |