Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
top of post for latest update

an entry to The 2016 9-card Nanogame PnP Design Contest!

thread: [nanoPnP] Nano Cyber Rogue [solitaire] [Contest Ready]
.... updated rules and cards 2016-03-23
(Now with a Sample Game/Walkthrough! and an Altoids Mint Tin version!)

Summary: A solitaire game of traversing nodes within a network, searching for a specific End server in a limited number of turns, while being chased by Intrusion Countermeasure Electronics. Will you break into the server before time & money run out?

Components:
9 cards to build the network of nodes.
4 dice to generate movement
4 coins to represent ICE
3 cubes to track resources & abilities
1 Player Token

Playing Time: 15-20 minutes
Category Solitaire

Link to rules PDF : Nano Cyber Rogue v.2016-03-23

Contest Categories
Best Solitaire Game
Best Thematic Game (Cyberspace Fantasy)
Best Written Rules

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [nanoPnP] Nano Cyber Rogue [solitaire] [components ready]
second post for archiving history

file: Nano Cyber Rogue v.Beta

file: Nano Cyber Rogue v.2016-03-05
E discussion starts here for 2016-03-05

file: Nano Cyber Rogue v.2016-03-06
E discussion starts here for 2016-03-06

file: : Nano Cyber Rogue v.2016-03-07
E discussion starts here for 2016-03-07

file: : Nano Cyber Rogue v.2016-03-23
E discussion starts here for 2016-03-23

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For those who were wondering if I somehow forgot to put in the complete first post, well, I was putting the thread together while waiting for the trailers to finish up. Then... Star Wars 7 happened.

Stormtower wrote:
top of post for latest update

an entry to The 2016 9-card Nanogame PnP Design Contest!

Summary: A solitaire game of traversing nodes within a network, searching for a specific End server in a limited number of turns, while being chased by Intrusion Countermeasure Electronics. Will you break into the server before time & money run out?

(image coming soon)

Components:
4 coins to represent ICE
1 Player Token

Category Solitaire

Link to rules PDF : Nano Cyber Rogue

The longer context:

You are a cyber network hacker; a rogue agent who infiltrates into computer systems. You start at your own secure network card, and then you explore the network to find the END server. Along the way, you might find tools to help you navigate the network; or, you might find Intrusion Countermeasure Electronics (aka ICE). The ICE can detect some of your movements in the network, and they’ll try to hunt you down. You also have a limited amount of time and resources; so you need to break into that END server quickly.

The game is meant to be a quick lunchtime filler. Something that will fit on a small table, and portable enough to be carried around in a pocket.

Right now, I've got rules for a Solitaire game. The components are just (barely) enough to fit the requirements for the nanogame contest: 9 cards, up to 4 dice, and up to 8 of other components.

I've done a lot of alpha playtesting already ... hey, it's a 15 minute solo. Maybe even 10 if I'm lucky. And I've played a couple of other games that are similar to this. It's meant to be played fast.

So what I need is beta playtests and feedback.

After the contest, the current development plan is to expand the game:
-- more cards
-- more abilities
-- two players, Racing but not "PvP"

... but a lot depends on feedback and results of the beta.

Enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very cool!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Sample of Beta test version

http://youtu.be/OvcokJ4yoC0

Right now, the game feels "too easy"

Potential adjustments:
-- Less Time/Money
-- ICE moves more frequently
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Jaros
United States
DeKalb
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played yet, just read the rules and watched the video, but here are my first impressions. If you feel the game is too easy, try these...

- Fewer nodes, fewer connections, or more 1 way arrows might make navigating the maze more challenging.

- Requiring the hacker to not only get to the servers, but to escape, too, will add to the difficulty.

- Allowing only 1 die to be kept before re rolling dice will add to the difficulty, too. Or maybe having a cost to keep more than 1 die.

Also, there are a few typos in the rules, most notably in the description of Strength where you call it Wild. Describing how dice have to be rerolled after use (and all at once, not individually) would be good, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Jaros
United States
DeKalb
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, also, it's not 100% clear, when you roll a 5 or 6, do the ICE servers move immediately, or can you use dice to move first? Also, do you still get to use the 5 or 6 to move yourself?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks George!

- Fewer Nodes / More One Way -- great idea! I didn't put a lot of one-ways in at all, mostly because I was trying to get a good feel for how long it takes to play the game: how much time/resource would need to be spent.

The ugly thing about too many one-ways: the player will feel "stuck on a track" ... taking away decisions, especially in solitaire, is usually not good design.

- Escape also -- another good idea, but might be really overkill in terms of difficulty. But ... the only way to find out is to try it!

- Max of keeping just 1 die. I'm going to need to find other playtesters to check this out. My playstyle might be insufficient at testing this limitation, because I've never kept more than 1 die. I usually have enough wilds to push through the last two servers

To clarify the rules while I tighten up the wording:

Yes, that's a typo in the paragraph about Strength.

And I should make it clear that the Five steps in the game overview is meant to be performed in sequence. Maybe I should call them five separate phases.

1. Roll Dice
2. Move Ice
3. Player Actions (movement, mostly)
4. Reduce $$$
5. go back to 1.

So...

Dice are spent at step 3 to perform actions. I should say something to the effect that spent dice are set aside ... you wouldn't roll them again until you go back to step 1.

Ice moves at step 2. That comes after step 1, and before step 3. So, the dice rolling is completed before ICE moves; and, the player can't move until after the ICE has taken the chance to move. I know how this might be confusing, since I've played (and also currently designing) a game using simultaneous movement with continuous dice rolling. (Like Escape)

Thanks for the feedback! Hopefully you get a chance to play. I'm not planning to make any changes until I get more plays done; so earliest time that I'll send out a revision would be Feb 29.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Mestdagh
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I read through the rules and I think I agree with George on all the points he made. I will probably try this game out this weekend, using some of the variations suggested.

On a side note, I did actually play Jacked In. I liked the design, but I did find that game very easy, even though the it was reliant on dice rolling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Ward
Japan
Matsumoto
Nagano
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a heads up, when I printed the rules, the title image did not print. ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
.... updated rules and cards 2016-03-05

(new image coming soon)

Components:
4 coins to represent ICE
1 Player Token

Category Solitaire

Link to rules PDF : Nano Cyber Rogue v.2016-03-05

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Ward
Japan
Matsumoto
Nagano
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Stormtower wrote:
.... updated rules and cards 2016-03-05

(new image coming soon)

Components:
4 coins to represent ICE
1 Player Token

Category Solitaire

Link to rules PDF : Nano Cyber Rogue v.2016-03-05

I got the cards this week, do I need a reprint?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ex1st wrote:
Stormtower wrote:

Yes. The cards and rules changed with the March 5th update.

And, in case it matters: I've gotten feedback just in the last 12 hours ... so I'm making some clarifications. An update to the rules will be coming out tonight which will include a detailed walkthrough of a sample game.

So you might want to wait until then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Janine Viglietti
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just read through the rules and I have a quick question.

In "losing strength" you say: if the player has no strength to pay when they have to lose strength, they are moved back to the start node.

In "Strength (STR)" you say: If you have no Strength, then being hit by ICE will end the game.

I have not yet played, but these statements seem contradictory. Is there more than one way to lose strength?

Game looks great, I'm going to print it up and give it a go soon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
.... updated rules and cards 2016-03-06 (Now with a Sample Game/Walkthrough!)
Link to rules PDF : Nano Cyber Rogue v.2016-03-06

No major changes to the rules; just a lot of little clarifications.

... and a really big clarification ... a 3 page long Sample Game!

(It's longer than the 2 pages of rules!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thevig wrote:
Just read through the rules and I have a quick question.

In "losing strength" you say: if the player has no strength to pay when they have to lose strength, they are moved back to the start node.

In "Strength (STR)" you say: If you have no Strength, then being hit by ICE will end the game.

I have not yet played, but these statements seem contradictory. Is there more than one way to lose strength?

Game looks great, I'm going to print it up and give it a go soon

:Headslap: I'm going to have to give this a extremely close look. Another update might be coming soon. Thanks for pointing this out.

The correct version is that the player respawns (I need to fix the second page for the Strength (Str) entry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ex1st wrote:
Just a heads up, when I printed the rules, the title image did not print. ?

I made some adjustments, just in case; but mine were printing fine. I would advise downloading and printing the downloaded copy; printing directly from a browser or Dropbox app might be causing issues.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Janine Viglietti
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stormtower wrote:
[q="thevig"]Just read through the rules and I have a quick question.

The correct version is that the player respawns (I need to fix the second page for the Strength (Str) entry.

Respawn was how i played, I think it plays great that way. I really enjoy the game; it is great fun! I lost my first try and won the second.

One more question, though I think I may have found the solution. When I lay the cards, initially I was playing that the orientation had to be done in such a way that the numbers and ICE were oriented face up. In my second game I got to the "end card" from a node on the left of the card I was leaving. in order to lay the end card I had to play it "upside down." Taking a look at the top of this thread it appears that I can lay in either right side up or upside down orientation. Is this correct?

Thanks for the game and keep up the good work

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Ward
Japan
Matsumoto
Nagano
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Stormtower wrote:
ex1st wrote:
Stormtower wrote:

Yes. The cards and rules changed with the March 5th update.

And, in case it matters: I've gotten feedback just in the last 12 hours ... so I'm making some clarifications. An update to the rules will be coming out tonight which will include a detailed walkthrough of a sample game.

So you might want to wait until then.

Thanks. Let me see what I can do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm glad so many of you are enjoying the game. This has become the game I keep in my pocket (in an altoids tin), because I can get a quick play in a relatively small space. I haven't printed out this new version yet ... my old version is full of pencil marks. But I plan on getting my new version mounted on cereal box cardboard ... makes for tiles that are easier to handle than my cardstock cards.

To answer your question:
thevig wrote:

One more question, though I think I may have found the solution. When I lay the cards, initially I was playing that the orientation had to be done in such a way that the numbers and ICE were oriented face up. In my second game I got to the "end card" from a node on the left of the card I was leaving. in order to lay the end card I had to play it "upside down." Taking a look at the top of this thread it appears that I can lay in either right side up or upside down orientation. Is this correct?

Yes. You are correct. You'll find plenty of examples of that in the sample game. At one point in development, I even considered allowing any orientation... like short side up against any long side. But it led to cards preventing other cards from fitting into the pattern ... which meant the player actually had less choices.

I'm considering replacing the words on the cards with icons ... someday. And that would help eliminate the idea of a "correct" orientation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Janine Viglietti
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stormtower wrote:
I'm considering replacing the words on the cards with icons ... someday. And that would help eliminate the idea of a "correct" orientation.

Alternately, the writing could be reflected over a line of symmetry. That way it would read the same no matter the orientation.

Thanks again, a lovely game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
.... updated rules and cards 2016-03-07

Link to rules PDF : Nano Cyber Rogue v.2016-03-07

No major changes to the rules; just a lot of little clarifications.

Big correction -- there were two conflicting descriptions of what happens when you lose 1 Strength and you have no Strength available to lose. That has been resolved. (You would respawn)

Also added: an alternate page for those who like to create a Altoids Mint Tin version of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Picture of older Beta test version

And now the new Mint Tin edition

Dare I say, hacking goes mobile?

(Somewhere, I've just triggered a Homeland Security thing. Please folks, real hackers would not be using dice to break into networks.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Alton
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
Paper 'Mech - winner 'Best Overall Design' in the 2016 1-page PNP Contest
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like fun! I'll be downloading and reading through the rules today

Subscribed

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Alton
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
Paper 'Mech - winner 'Best Overall Design' in the 2016 1-page PNP Contest
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So i printed this out and played through a handful of games.

Here's me, failing to hack into the end server before running out of $$$. I used up all my wilds two turns earlier to prevent both ICE from moving 3 times, which would have resulted in me being sent back to base. In hindsight I should have only changed one dice, and kept two wilds back for the final hack. Ahhhh hindsight....

So, I want to play this more but felt like I should provide first impression thoughts...

- there is a really nice balance in the game where the more you move, the more likely you are to be detected by ICE. This is by far the most satisfying part of the game for me. I could choose to sneak through one space at a time, but then my $$$ drain away rapidly. Full marks here for a beautifully realised mechanic.

- when one or two ICE are in play there is a tangible feeling of being hunted, and the level of tension is great.

I like the wild mechanic, allowing you to change dice. This felt thematically great, that you were actively hacking the system and changing the environment to suit your needs. I would personally like to see more of this, with more nodes that require specific numbers. Maybe some other mechanic that allows you to earn extra wilds rather than moving through a collect point. Or another idea would be to make the wild points permanent, and each allows you to raise or lower the result of a dice by one each round? Just thinking out loud.

- on that note, if felt like s double penalty to have to spend specific dice to access an upgrade to wilds or strength, and then have to pay for it in $$$ too. A hacker ought to be able to augment themselves for free, surely

- it's not clear in the rules that you spend your wild points when you use them. It could be interpreted that with 3 wilds, you can change 3 dice each round which is obviously overpowered!

- also in the rules, it could be clearer that you start with 0 health and 0 wilds unless you pay for upgrades. This becomes apparent with your sample walk through, but it ought to be in the main body of the rules

- the game is great, I love it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.