Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everyone,

Trade is up: The 21st Montreal No-Ship math trade

Dates for the actual trade will be FEB. 20th from 10:30 to 11:30 at the Randolh Pub, 2041 St. Denis.

New rules are in place for Gift Certificates, please read the header for the details.

Otherwise, have fun and happy trading.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RESULTS:

The raw results can be found at:

http://bgg.activityclub.org/olwlg/204577-results-official.tx...

The human readable summary can be found at:

http://bgg.activityclub.org/olwlg/trades-summary.cgi?listid=...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Leftover Results:

The raw results can be found at:

http://bgg.activityclub.org/olwlg/205186-results-official.tx...

The human readable summary can be found at:

http://bgg.activityclub.org/olwlg/trades-summary.cgi?listid=...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Game Time
United States
Potsdam
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for running this again.

Any idea when the date will be determined? That will affect my ability to participate. Thanks!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Shane
Canada
Montreal, Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
Now that GC's have to go in the GeekMarket, is there a reason to enforce GC's? I think we can straight out give cash (in person or via paypal).

Can someone confirm?

If this is true, then yes, we have an overhead with dealing with BGG marketplace, but, we save a lot of overhead in buying the give codes and sending them by email. In the end, I think its actually a time save now if we can pay cash (and BGG gets their 3%).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael P.
Canada
Notre-Dame-de-l'Île-Perrot
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While I think that replacing the GCs with cash offerings makes it easier and maybe more attractive for some I think it does go against the spirit of a Math Trade.

I think in the long run it may also decrease the amount of games offered in a math trade and make it more of a blind auction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael P.
Canada
Notre-Dame-de-l'Île-Perrot
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there no-limit to the number of GC entries (different amounts) that we can make?

I know that last trade there was discussion about limiting GC entries to the last couple of days- is this in effect?

Edit: re-read the rules and saw that the first part of my question was answered.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Shane
Canada
Montreal, Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
Bah, people are already asking me for iTunes gift cards and Maxi (grocery store) gift cards. Between that and cash, its really just a word game.

The rules state:

"NO CASH OFFERS, HOWEVER GIFT CERTIFICATES ARE OKAY.

My reasoning is that a trade for cash is essentially a sale, and I don't feel right about selling games through BGG without giving them their commission."

The reason for this does not stand anymore. We can remove that sentence from the math trade's main page or accept cash offers?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lachinois wrote:
Bah, people are already asking me for iTunes gift cards and Maxi (grocery store) gift cards. Between that and cash, its really just a word game.

The rules state:

"NO CASH OFFERS, HOWEVER GIFT CERTIFICATES ARE OKAY.

My reasoning is that a trade for cash is essentially a sale, and I don't feel right about selling games through BGG without giving them their commission."

The reason for this does not stand anymore. We can remove that sentence from the math trade's main page or accept cash offers?

I will make some inquiries to see how other trades have handled the cash question.

I understand your point, but if we just open the flood gates, then I am worried that we will no longer have a trade, and rather will just have a flea market.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Universal Serial Bus
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
USB Certified
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is the TBD because you're waiting for user input or is it other factors?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Waiting to hear back from the pub.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Pinchuk
Canada
Dollard-des-Ormeaux
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cash, GCs, it's really the same thing in the end. It all ends up being spent on games anyways.
I don't think it will change a thing if people start offering cash instead of GCs.

P.S. All my games are for sale so feel free to make offers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Marentette
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It appears that the BGG 3% commission has killed off gift certificates which may not be a bad thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Bettan
Canada
Cote St Luc
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mikemarentette wrote:
It appears that the BGG 3% commission has killed off gift certificates which may not be a bad thing.

I'm assuming most people are holding off towards the end to list GCs (that's what I usually do).

3% is not that much in the grand scheme of things. I think people may avoid them just because they think it may be complicated to do the whole marketplace/commission listing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Marentette
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yes, I meant the hassle factor as well and should have mentioned it. Anyway, so far, we have a pure math trade.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Brodeur
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mikemarentette wrote:
Yes, I meant the hassle factor as well and should have mentioned it. Anyway, so far, we have a pure math trade.

I'm sorry to say but I will bring in GCs when I have a better idea of what I want in this trade. Kindly ignore my GCs if you don't want them and everything will be alright.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Marentette
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Nothing against GCs. Most of my recent trades have been for GCs. I was making an observation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Shane
Canada
Montreal, Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
Lets hope we can avoid yet another GC "flame" war (the past editions of this math trade where high in GC drama, some wanting them, other not).

As a courtesy to other math traders, I will wait until the end to post my GC's. That way its easier for others to follow the day to day additions. It seems that others are doing the same thing which is great, since it removes a lot of the clutter when browsing the geeklist.

I strongly believe that GC's are of great help in the math trading process and I'm happy that they are still accepted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Pinchuk
Canada
Dollard-des-Ormeaux
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lachinois wrote:
Lets hope we can avoid yet another GC "flame" war (the past editions of this math trade where high in GC drama, some wanting them, other not).

As a curtsy to other math traders, I will wait until the end to post my GC's. That way its easier for others to follow the day to day additions. It seems that others are doing the same thing which is great, since it removes a lot of the clutter when browsing the geeklist.

I strongly believe that GC's are of great help in the math trading process and I'm happy that they are still accepted.

Now if only people stopped posting ridiculously valued items.....WotR...*cough* :p

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Shane
Canada
Montreal, Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
mpin wrote:

Now if only people stopped posting ridiculously valued items.....WotR...*cough* :p

Well, I did trade one as a direct result of the exposure in this math trade two years ago I believe so even if it does not trade (which is most likely), it may trade afterwards.

This game is just so expensive to ship, having one available locally in itself is pretty fantastic I would say.

I have to admit, I'm putting a lot of high value items in this edition in particular. I'm hoping that this will entice other collectors to do the same. Let's see how it goes. I do not expect to trade a lot of my rare editions, but I don't see a better way to entice other high end items.

I don't think my Apples to Apples will be as effective ;)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Pinchuk
Canada
Dollard-des-Ormeaux
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lachinois wrote:
mpin wrote:

Well, I did trade one as a direct result of the exposure in this math trade two years ago I believe so even if it does not trade (which is most likely), it may trade afterwards.

This game is just so expensive to ship, having one available locally in itself is pretty fantastic I would say.

I have to admit, I'm putting a lot of high value items in this edition in particular. I'm hoping that this will entice other collectors to do the same. Let's see how it goes. I do not expect to trade a lot of my rare editions, but I don't see a better way to entice other high end items.

I don't think my Apples to Apples will be as effective ;)

Hey feel free to let me know which games I could combine to grab that edition! LOL

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just want to check in.

I still haven't heard back concerning the date; as soon as I hear anything I'll let you all know.

Concerning GCs/cash:

As long as the rules concerning the BGG marketplace are followed, I guess I don't have a problem with cash/GCs.

I would ask that, like in the last trade, as much as possible if people could wait until the last couple of days to add their GCs/cash, it would help to keep them all clustered together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lachinois wrote:
mpin wrote:

Now if only people stopped posting ridiculously valued items.....WotR...*cough*

I guess this is okay, but I don't want to see the trade being used as a simple advertisement for people to try to garner interest in their games. We have Kijiji and Craigslist for that sort of advertisement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Universal Serial Bus
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
USB Certified
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
willythesnitch wrote:
lachinois wrote:
mpin wrote:

Now if only people stopped posting ridiculously valued items.....WotR...*cough*

I guess this is okay, but I don't want to see the trade being used as a simple advertisement for people to try to garner interest in their games. We have Kijiji and Craigslist for that sort of advertisement.

Honestly I find kijiji to be a complete mess for board games because it doesn't seem to search the description. So you never know if someone is selling the game you want but labelled it as "Board Games" or "Jeux de Société" so they could sell their entire collection...in which case be prepared to filter through tons of kids games, monopoly, scrabble, etc.

I do agree though that GCs should be posted at the end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Shane
Canada
Montreal, Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
willythesnitch wrote:

Don't get me wrong, what I have in the math trade, I am ready to trade value for value anytime. There is no hidden agenda here. In fact, almost all my games have trade entries every year, so I'm definitely trying to get things rolling.

Its clear that the higher the value of the game, the less entries there will be for those types. While we will have a ton of entries for games in the 20-60$ range, we will have less in the 60$-100$, even less in the 100$-200$ and a handful above 200$ (although that may change with the abundance of kickstarter editions now).

I hope it doesn't make posting "high value" (thats such a subjective term) games irrelevant in the MTL math trade, considering they will trade less than the more common games, and in smaller loops.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [7] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.