Popular Tags: [View All]
Nathan McCullough
United States
Germantown
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They're going big with the reboot of MoO. Hoping this is good fun. Not sure how they can encapsulate the epicness of it in a board game with this short of a playtime though.

Wonder how much will be left out and put in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spike K
msg tools
Yep. I imagine its going to focus on one aspect of the game. Or streamline certain parts. Twilight Imperium is basically MOO in board game form, obviously they will be trying something different here. Other than using the IP and races, I hope they still encapsulate the feel of MOO.
Much like XCOM The Board Game, which does not grid tactical combat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tahsin Shamma
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MUST... KNOW.... MORE!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Hammons
United States
Santa Monica
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I though they already made this and called it "Eclipse."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Huntley
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
The Master of Orion video game is being transformed into a 2-4 player, 40-60 min. board game.

I'm *really* curious to see how streamlined they've made this..and what was cut out for it. Having played titans such as TI:3, Exodus, and Eclipse..I'm a bit suspect at the low playing time. To me, that's a lot of stuff "cut" to make the playing time lower..but I suppose we'll have to wait for the rules to come out to know for sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tahsin Shamma
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tenburo wrote:
Quote:
The Master of Orion video game is being transformed into a 2-4 player, 40-60 min. board game.

I'm *really* curious to see how streamlined they've made this..and what was cut out for it. Having played titans such as TI:3, Exodus, and Eclipse..I'm a bit suspect at the low playing time. To me, that's a lot of stuff "cut" to make the playing time lower..but I suppose we'll have to wait for the rules to come out to know for sure.

Indeed, I was sucked in by the low play time and supposed strategy of Quantum but I really don't seek out that game the way I do Eclipse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Barille
msg tools
I have played battle at Antares so many times I cant count. So interesting is an understatement when it comes to this game. I agree the playtime seems short, but then again how many games say they take an hour but end up taking twice that or more. So maybe its just a low estimate. Really need to keep an eye on this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Cannon
United States
Annapolis
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps they will include basic and advanced rule sets with a range of time to play. More likely it will be split into expansions to get the full game experience we really want.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke the Great
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm waiting impatiently for more news. The world really needs more space 4X games, Eclipse and TI3 is not enough. I'm worried about short playtime though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Libero03 wrote:
The world really needs more space 4X games, Eclipse and TI3 is not enough.

(Check out Space Empires: 4X if you've not already.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke the Great
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, but I can not handle ugly components anymore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rob taylor
England
bingley
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've heard rumours it's going to be a card game.
Similar to race for the galaxy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke the Great
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK then I'm out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Blank
United States
Unspecified
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a description of it in Russian on the Hobby World website. Google does a broken translation of it. Looks like it is a card game with wooden cubes tracking resources and other items on a player mat.

Game Contents:
90 buildings cards
8 councilors cards
6 bilateral Card Player tablets (seven races)
60 wooden blocks of four colors
Golf Scoring
rules

I have no idea what "Golf Scoring" means, something goofy in the translation there. "Tablets" are the player mats I believe, there are a (very) few more pictures of cards and such on the site.

Resources seem to include things represented by a leaf, a military insignia, and a hammer. There is a public discontent track as well, among other things on the player mat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan Idaho
United States
NYC
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nickgb wrote:

I have no idea what "Golf Scoring" means,

While it is quite possibly an error in translation, "Golf Scoring" generally refers to a game in which the lowest score wins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Schwarz
Germany
Frankfurt
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow... I'm really interested!
I hope, this will be better than MoO3....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dmitry Vnuchkov
Russia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It's an error in translation.
"Поле для подсчета очков" -> "the board for scoring".
"поле" was incorrectly translatead as "field".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, it's a "scoring board". Hooray!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eldritch Condiment
United States
Hamden
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nickgb wrote:
There is a description of it in Russian on the Hobby World website. Google does a broken translation of it. Looks like it is a card game with wooden cubes tracking resources and other items on a player mat.

Game Contents:
90 buildings cards
8 councilors cards
6 bilateral Card Player tablets (seven races)
60 wooden blocks of four colors
Golf Scoring
rules

I have no idea what "Golf Scoring" means, something goofy in the translation there. "Tablets" are the player mats I believe, there are a (very) few more pictures of cards and such on the site.

Resources seem to include things represented by a leaf, a military insignia, and a hammer. There is a public discontent track as well, among other things on the player mat.

Thanks, that just saved me ~60 bucks. Strange thing to make into a card game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Parkin
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
Push Cubes. Blow Stuff Up.
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
mbmbmbmbmb
magicbus1966 wrote:
I though they already made this and called it "Eclipse."

This is precisely what I thought immediately upon seeing the title. In fact, I wrote a giant session report also called "Master of Orion: The Board Game" after my first game of Eclipse. The Euro infrastructure of Eclipse makes it a far better candidate for the board game version of MoO than Twilight Imperium (Third Edition), which simply happens to be set in space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin Karat
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
keighleyrob wrote:
I've heard rumours it's going to be a card game.
Similar to race for the galaxy.

Unlike some others here, I don't have a problem with that. After all, I'm quite fond of Through the Ages, and that is a card game without a map.

Let me put this another way, if this game were to MoO what Through the Ages is to Civilization, then it will become a favorite, and I suspect others will feel the same way. At the same time, there are people who don't like the boardless nature of Through the Ages and will prefer Eclipse. Nothing wrong with that, just different tastes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N R
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I fully expect there to be a stellar converter. If I cannot blow up planets and watch as my enemies cower as their home systems are reduced to debris, I'm out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Parkin
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
Push Cubes. Blow Stuff Up.
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
mbmbmbmbmb
OmegaDestroyer wrote:
I fully expect there to be a stellar converter. If I cannot blow up planets and watch as my enemies cower as their home systems are reduced to debris, I'm out.

I'll settle for a black hole generator.

vvvvvvvvvoorrppp!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fredericus Rex
Germany
Bamberg
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nickgb wrote:

90 buildings cards

That isn't really a lot...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel van der pol
Netherlands
Leiden
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quite interesting. For me, MoO computer games were defined by the following:

- Technology tree with clear and separate "types" of technologies each focussing on improving some aspect of your civilisation (Biology, Weapons etc). You can therefore focus on improving some parts early(economy) and some parts later (weapons) if you like.
- Design your own ships. Have a specific ship in mind to handle a specific task in your fleet (bomb planets, space superiority, movement speed and hit & run attacks etc) you can design and build those yourself.
- Discover, expand and colonize. You don't know your surrounding space and you need to discover what is there. Then colonize the "good" planets to make them contribute to your economy.
- Trade. Making contact with other alien races and improve your economy & technology (as well as theirs) through trade. This makes it important to have "good" relations with your neighbours.
- Politics. The galactic senate is where each race has a chance to get political support to be voted to Emperor.
- "Wild Card". Invasion of Antarans, random events etc focus on slowing down the most advanced race so less advanced races could catch up.
- Race specific advantages & disadvantages. Each race played differently and had different strengths & weaknesses. Also the ability to create your own race through a "points buy" system was very cool.

Quite a bit of this is already included in games like Twilight Imperium 3, Eclipse, Space Empires: 4x etc. Some games obviously include more than others; some play smoother while others are mechanically more cluncky and detailed.

In any case, I look forward to hearing more details about MoO: The Boardgame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.