Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jake Bock
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
I like my beer like I like my board games...
mbmbmbmbmb
I played a lot of MOO 2 back in the day and it was definitely my 4X of choice. I have to say, I'm concerned about a game with this excellent IP only playing in 40-60 minutes. When I think of MOO, I think of sprawling galaxies and lengthy battles. 40-60 minutes to me means either a wildly inaccurate time, or a game that's nothing like I'd expect from its title.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
msg tools
mb
Yeah, it reminds me a little of Blood Bowl: Team Manager card game. At first I was disappointed because it was nothing like Blood Bowl. When I treated it as its own game that shared some characteristics but was mostly a different animal, I grew to like it very much.

Obviously it's too early to tell anything yet about MOO. But my first impression is that it will share races and some other MOO-ish stuff but play much differently than a traditional 4x.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dániel Lányi
Hungary
Budapest
* -Not Applicable-
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
my guess is that it's supposed to be 40-60 minutes per player

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Wißner
Germany
Augsburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wallwaster wrote:
my guess is that it's supposed to be 40-60 minutes per player

No, apparently not:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1523850

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
joel siragher
United States
silver spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm skeptical....

whats our little skeptic doing today honey?

Shes frying the cat in wesson oil
(groove tube or kentucky fried movie reference)

I would love to see the game and the BGG reviews. alwasy a treat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul W
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
However it turns out, it can't possibly be as bad as MOO3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Franklin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
I'm really excited for this, as someone who played primarily small galaxies in MoO and rarely played MoO2.

If you want to play MoO3, the board game, just print out a blank Excel spreadsheet and start filling in the grid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Many games I enjoy last 60, if you have a game that can give me an awesome 60 minute, I am in.

If you have a good core mechanics to make it expandable and more complex later, it's even better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger McKay
Canada
Bedford
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
indjk wrote:
I played a lot of MOO 2 back in the day and it was definitely my 4X of choice. I have to say, I'm concerned about a game with this excellent IP only playing in 40-60 minutes. When I think of MOO, I think of sprawling galaxies and lengthy battles. 40-60 minutes to me means either a wildly inaccurate time, or a game that's nothing like I'd expect from its title.

I wholeheartedly agree. When I first heard that there was going to be an MoO game, I was thinking of Eclipse+, not a RftG re-theme.

Aside from balance the big issue with Eclipse was it being too short. I am only settling into the world after a couple of hours. A game with such massive scale ought to take up an entire afternoon at least.

I honestly care very little about MoO's IP. I don't even remember the names of the alien races. It was all about science, economics, and military tactics for me.

Design your own...everything, basically. After wanting a rebirth of MoO 2 for about 15 years, my hopes have been inspired and let down in the span of an hour.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Lelas
Ireland
Dublin
Dublin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
ACTING TALENT!
mbmbmbmbmb
There's plenty of room on my shelf for a cool looking 4x game that can be played in less than 90 mins. I would love that. I think the designers are onto something aiming for that experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
The whole of board gaming is moving towards shorter playing times. It is a current trend and as such, not everyone is going to be on board.

Board games that attempt to recreate their video game source material in entirety often fail (or they never get past the prototype stage). Taking on a licensed IP with as deep of a history and legacy as Master of Orion will be impossible to please everyone.

There are plenty of awesome sci-fi civilization games with a hefty playing time. If those aren't sufficient, you gotta wonder if you're looking for an actual game or a nostalgic IP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Laerfan wrote:
There's plenty of room on my shelf for a cool looking 4x game that can be played in less than 90 mins. I would love that. I think the designers are onto something aiming for that experience.

FWIW: Somewhat in the ballpark, for 2 players, is Imperial Stars II (not a true 4x game, but at least shares some elements), and playable in 2 hours or less. I've been enjoying it lately with a friend. Also consider Star Borders: Humanity (disclosure, I was a proofreader/playtester for Star Borders.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
There are plenty of awesome sci-fi civilization games with a hefty playing time. If those aren't sufficient, you gotta wonder if you're looking for an actual game or a nostalgic IP.

If I speak for my self, many of the games mentioned so far like Race for the galaxy, Eminient domain , I don't really like them. As for my collection, I don't have a 4X themed card game in my collection, but I like the idea of small, short 4X game. So if I can hit a bird with 2 stones by: get a 4X card game and get an intellectual Property I like, then I am in. As long as the game is good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doom Finger
msg tools
badge
Ha, it used to take us 40-60 minutes just to name our homeworlds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Sweek

Oregon
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
indjk wrote:
When I think of MOO, I think of sprawling galaxies and lengthy battles. 40-60 minutes to me means either a wildly inaccurate time, or a game that's nothing like I'd expect from its title.
MOO at the core though isn't about sprawling galaxies and battles. That is actually the small aspect of it.

The core mechanics of MOO is about balancing growth, population happiness, research, espionage while competing with other players. There is going to be some abstract but the core game is MOO.

Personally I wouldn't want to play a game with sprawling galaxies and battles. That is what current miniatures games and computer games are for. For board games I would expect something different, but still have the core of the game at it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

The core mechanics of MOO is about balancing growth, population happiness, research, espionage while competing with other players. There is going to be some abstract but the core game is MOO.

It's true that many 4X games includes a lot of concepts, but most of the time is put on colony management. Sometimes it reach a point where it gets annoying because you would like to focus on other things.

Normally board games cannot implement everything a video game does. So they generally focus on some of the aspect of the video game according to the priorities of the designer.

This is why for example, you have so many space opera game which plays relatively differently. Some focus more on warfare, others on civ management, resource management or even diplomacy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.