Master of Orion: The Board Game» Forums » General

Subject: New Era, not TI3 or Eclipse rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Aleksandr Savenkov
Russia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
As someone who's a bit familiar with the game and it's author, I want to save everyone from making false assumptions.

This game won't be anything like Twilight Imperium 3, Eclipse, or anything like that. Neither it will be a streamlined version of those games. Many of those who played it say it feels more like New Era or Race for the Galaxy. That's why it says it's playtime is 40-60 minutes, not per player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Valerij Kozlov
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
That's a shame. Yet another card game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Halbower
United States
Muskegon
Michigan
flag msg tools
Not Oswald!!!
badge
Vic Mackey
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I'll be passing on this game too. Race for the Galaxy, Eminent Domain and Star Realms already exist. Why saturate that market?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Iradian
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
halbower wrote:
I think I'll be passing on this game too. Race for the Galaxy, Eminent Domain and Star Realms already exist. Why saturate that market?

I didn't like any of those three, hopefully Master of Orion will make my wallet lighter. Race For the Galaxy is way too newb unfriendly, Eminent Domain was bland, and Star Realms was just Ascension 2.0

And the current board games in space like TI and Eclipse take far too many hours and I would rather spend those hours on Spartacus or Cyclades Titans.

So yes, there is a market, assuming, MOO Has original mechanics and not a copy of what is out there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Halbower
United States
Muskegon
Michigan
flag msg tools
Not Oswald!!!
badge
Vic Mackey
mbmbmbmbmb
Tretiak wrote:

...Eminent Domain feels pretty bland as well (at least the base game).

Race for the Galaxy would be the only card game that can tingle our space antennae the proper way...

To each his own, I guess. I found Race for the Galaxy (just the base game) to be bland. It's the expansions that make it a bit more interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
james napoli
United States
Westwood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
vpupkin wrote:
As someone who's a bit familiar with the game and it's author, I want to save everyone from making false assumptions.

This game won't be anything like Twilight Imperium 3, Eclipse, or anything like that. Neither it will be a streamlined version of those games. Many of those who played it say it feels a more like New Era or Race for the Galaxy. That's why it it says it's playtime is 40-60 minutes, not per player.

Thank you for helping with the clarification. hopefully they'll at least have darlok's in the game...i'll remain optimistic on this game knowing it's not meant to be a 4x game, but instead largely borrowing the theme of the IP and not the mechanics...

-
James
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Smith
United States
Newburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Stay thirsty my friends.
mbmbmbmbmb
peachpie wrote:
Tretiak wrote:
halbower wrote:

I wouldn't call that saturation. Star Realms is just a basic deck builder while Eminent Domain feels pretty bland as well (at least the base game).

Race for the Galaxy would be the only card game that can tingle our space antennae the proper way. Maybe also Tiny Epic Galaxies. I haven't played Core Worlds though. Still this is not what I would call variety compared to other themes.

You absolutely must play Core Worlds.

To sate your cards in space fix, I also highly recommend Hull Breach.
thumbsupmeeplethumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Upon seeing that there is a Master of Orion game coming out: laughlaughlaughlaughlaugh

Upon finding out that it will only be a card game: sobluesobluesobluesobluesoblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lord Alatar
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Instant buy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Actually, I find this refreshing. I own too many big box long games of the sorts.

I tried many of those big box games only to be disappointed. So if something smaller can be more fun, I cannot really argue against it.

As for the competition I hate race for the galaxy, I like Star Realm, but it's really not the same game play. Never played eminent domain, but it does seems more abstract. At least microcosm was abstract.

If it's only a card game, that makes it much more expandable this way, another important element for that kind of game.

I hope it can give me some mechanic ideas to make a Master of Magic Board Game, but that's another story.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Grawan
Germany
Lehrte
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For the big 4X itch I play Eclipse.

For the medium 4X itch I play Exodus.

For the quick 4X itch I play Roll for the Galaxy.

I'm really interested where this one will fit in...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger McKay
Canada
Bedford
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the very first that I have heard of this game. I literally went from great excitement to huge disappointment.

IMO, any good MoO board game would have to start with Eclipse and go on from there. Expanding the planetary individuality and management. Now, I hear that this game will actually be much less involved and true to the source material.

Very disappointing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger McKay
Canada
Bedford
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lordalatar wrote:
Instant buy

Why? It doesn't sound like it will much like the PC games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Cannon
United States
Annapolis
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RogMcK wrote:
This is the very first that I have heard of this game. I literally went from great excitement to huge disappointment.

IMO, any good MoO board game would have to start with Eclipse and go on from there. Expanding the planetary individuality and management. Now, I hear that this game will actually be much less involved and true to the source material.

Very disappointing.

+1

Won't be buying this one either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafał Kruczek
Poland
Legnica
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rashktah wrote:
For the big 4X itch I play Eclipse.

For the medium 4X itch I play Exodus.

For the quick 4X itch I play Roll for the Galaxy.

I'm really interested where this one will fit in...

And for card game 4X I play Impulse.(I also play all 3 above )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Kenntoft
Sweden
Sundbyberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I for one always considered Eclipse being the boardgame version of MOO...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Emrich
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Huh... as someone very associated with the original MASTER OF ORION computer games, having written the strategy guide and really knowing what makes them tick, I always thought it deserved a good boardgame version.

I hope it's getting one.

Alan Emrich
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alan Emrich wrote:
Huh... as someone very associated with the original MASTER OF ORION computer games, having written the strategy guide and really knowing what makes them tick, I always thought it deserved a good boardgame version.

I hope it's getting one.

Alan Emrich

It feels impossible to embody in a card game.

Nothing against card games, but I don't feel like it was the right format for this IP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Emrich
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

Nothing against card games, but I don't feel like it was the right format for this IP.

I was always a fan of STELLAR CONQUEST (from the computer game REACH FOR THE STARS by SSG). GODSFIRE, too, I always felt had a lot of potential for an updated version.

Alan Emrich
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alan Emrich wrote:
I was always a fan of STELLAR CONQUEST (from the computer game REACH FOR THE STARS by SSG).

I think you've inverted the chronology there. The boardgame Stellar Conquest is from 1975, while Reach for the Stars: The Conquest of the Galaxy (which I think took clear inspiration from SC) appeared about a decade later, in the mid-1980s.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Iradian
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
vpupkin wrote:

This game won't be anything like Twilight Imperium 3, Eclipse, or anything like that. Neither it will be a streamlined version of those games. Many of those who played it say it feels more like New Era or Race for the Galaxy. That's why it says it's playtime is 40-60 minutes, not per player.

If it's like Race to the Galaxy without the insane learning curve or 500000000 symbols, I'm already interested.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger McKay
Canada
Bedford
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shampoo4you wrote:

It is certainly impossible to do it in a 60 minute card game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

I also thought the same thing before playing the actual game to realised it's just an euro resource management game that ends before the action starts.

I'll take a look at impulse. Could be interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger McKay
Canada
Bedford
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
larienna wrote:
Quote:

I also thought the same thing before playing the actual game to realised it's just an euro resource management game that ends before the action starts.

I'll take a look at impulse. Could be interesting.

I see your point, but the action could start on turn two, if the players want it to.

Remember, that MoO2 was very much about resource management.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Nowak
United States
Greenville
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
You have paid retail for the last time.
badge
The human race, to which so many of my readers belong, has been playing at children's games from the beginning, and will probably do it till the end, which is a nuisance for the few people who grow up. - GKC
mbmbmbmbmb
Who is the designer?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.