Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I see your point, but the action could start on turn two, if the players want it to.

Remember, that MoO2 was very much about resource management.

Really unlikely to happen because normally it takes like 7-8 turns before players can actually build up forces and be ready to engage in battle. Then the games en on turn 9. Same thing with TI3 especially with the original roles.

I those game have cool mechanics. They are amazing mechanics in TI3 and especially Eclipse because it convinced me to buy the game. But I ended up selling because I really did not like the general feeling of the game. So I guess that would be, borrow what you like and create a new game. But there are so many space opera board game out there, (more than civ games) that it's not worth the effort unless I do it as a digital game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
BEAVERTON
Oregon
flag msg tools
Alan Emrich wrote:

Alan Emrich

Well, well ... if it isn't Mr. MoO himself! long time no see. I heard you are consulting on the new version. Is that true or just another rumour? Any NDA-friendly thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger McKay
Canada
Bedford
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
leiavoia wrote:
Alan Emrich wrote:

Alan Emrich

Well, well ... if it isn't Mr. MoO himself! long time no see. I heard you are consulting on the new version. Is that true or just another rumour? Any NDA-friendly thoughts?

If Mr Emrich IS involved professionally or financially in this product, he should be divulging that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger McKay
Canada
Bedford
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
larienna wrote:
Quote:
I see your point, but the action could start on turn two, if the players want it to.

Remember, that MoO2 was very much about resource management.

Really unlikely to happen because normally it takes like 7-8 turns before players can actually build up forces and be ready to engage in battle. Then the games en on turn 9. Same thing with TI3 especially with the original roles.

I those game have cool mechanics. They are amazing mechanics in TI3 and especially Eclipse because it convinced me to buy the game. But I ended up selling because I really did not like the general feeling of the game. So I guess that would be, borrow what you like and create a new game. But there are so many space opera board game out there, (more than civ games) that it's not worth the effort unless I do it as a digital game.

It is up to the players when they decide to go aggressive. Research improves effectiveness, but so does quickness and productivity. There is more than one way to win.

The cool mechanics were my initial draw to the game, too. Much like Agricola. Although (unlike Agricola) I did have much interest in the theme, as well. Eclipse ends too soon for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I S
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well thats a real shame. Was hoping for a great game that is good for 2-5 players, comparatively short playtime and deep gameplay. And I love the PC game.
TI3 is too massive, Eclipse seems boring.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Emrich
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
If Mr Emrich IS involved professionally or financially in this product, he should be divulging that.

Wow! While I appreciate the accusation, let me state for the record, your honor, that I am not connected in any way whatsoever with this MOO boardgame. It was as surprising to me as it was to you to see it suddenly appear here. Of course this news grabbed my interest.

Personally:

1. I'm curious how the got the license for MOO in Russia.

2. I have very low expectations for this game (this is, perhaps, my own defense mechanism to keep my potential disappointment to a minimum should it not be that great a game; it certainly doesn't look like the approach I might have taken in its design from what we can ascertain thus far, but that's not an "opinion death sentence" or anything).

3. This just reminds me that I really should design my own space opera game before I retire...

Alan Emrich
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger McKay
Canada
Bedford
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alan Emrich wrote:
Quote:

Wow! While I appreciate the accusation, let me state for the record, your honor, that I am not connected in any way whatsoever with this MOO boardgame. It was as surprising to me as it was to you to see it suddenly appear here. Of course this news grabbed my interest.

Personally:

1. I'm curious how the got the license for MOO in Russia.

2. I have very low expectations for this game (this is, perhaps, my own defense mechanism to keep my potential disappointment to a minimum should it not be that great a game; it certainly doesn't look like the approach I might have taken in its design from what we can ascertain thus far, but that's not an "opinion death sentence" or anything).

3. This just reminds me that I really should design my own space opera game before I retire...

Alan Emrich

Accusations do not start with "If..."

3. Start with Eclipse. Turn it into a campaign game. Speed up the low level research, while slowing down end game techs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philipp Ottensamer
Austria
Wien
Vienna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's crazy seeing how much people would actually want a MOO game. wow

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Monnat Jr
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Hourglass Realm D&D 5e Play by Forum (PbF) Campaign DM (we'd love to have you join us!)
badge
U.S.S. Tautog (SSN 639) doing an emergency blow with me on it (see profile for details)
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it being crowdfunded? I can't find much information on it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asaf Hamtzany
msg tools
I really can't understand what all those "will buy" and "won't buy" are based on (Unless I'm missing some bug source of information on the game).

Saying that the game is more similar to Race for the Galaxy than to TI does not really say anything regarding for fun the game is.
Unless the "won't buy" is simply because the game will not take 6 hours, I find that pretty baseless.

Lets wait to see what is in the game and how it is played, and then decide...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger McKay
Canada
Bedford
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
UAF1 wrote:
I really can't understand what all those "will buy" and "won't buy" are based on (Unless I'm missing some bug source of information on the game).

Saying that the game is more similar to Race for the Galaxy than to TI does not really say anything regarding for fun the game is.
Unless the "won't buy" is simply because the game will not take 6 hours, I find that pretty baseless.

Lets wait to see what is in the game and how it is played, and then decide...

No 60 minute card game could come close to what the MoO PC games offered. Given that, calling it Masters of Orion is deceiving fans of the PC games. It is IP bait and switch. Common practice these days. I have no intention of supporting this practice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Norman
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, there's a MoO board game at the top of the hotness! I was a huge fan of the MoO 1 & 2 PC games back in the day, I have to check this out!!

Oh, it's a card game that plays out in 60 minutes. gulp

MoO was a game about managing an empire in space. It involved a ton of mechanics including technological progress, politics, war, exploration & expansion, etc. There's absolutely no way that a 60 minute card game can come close to capturing the feel of the original PC game so why bother with the license? I'll just end up disappointing the majority of fans of the original PC games.

Oh well, I'll just set my expectations to zero and see how this plays out...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J R
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So much negativity about this game! I am going to at least wait and see what the game is like first. I can imagine a game or about the weight and length of Cosmic Encounter (with a more economic/combat focus) that is both fun and gets a lot right about MoO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Grawan
Germany
Lehrte
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If this card game delivers the spirit of MoO and MoO2, I'm willing to give it a try.

if it is anything like MoO3, I'll pass.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Panglott wrote:
So much negativity about this game!

Because there is no way the MoO experience can be embodied in a card game. It simply can't be done.

So this is a beloved IP being resurrected just to be slapped on some random space themed card game.

I am very disappointed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spike K
msg tools
Sure it could. Lots of games done well that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sufinsil wrote:
Sure it could. Lots of games done well that way.

I'm not saying the game will be bad. I'm saying it won't be MoO.

You can do a lot with a card game, but you can't have the full MoO experience with just cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ellen Yanity
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
That's what I said when I heard of MOO 3...

cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Bordelon
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it should start from an Eclipse streamlined base and add some Ameritrash TI3 layers. Managing planets' development sounds fun as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger McKay
Canada
Bedford
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TsarRiri wrote:
I think it should start from an Eclipse streamlined base and add some Ameritrash TI3 layers. Managing planets' development sounds fun as well.

It was one of my favourite aspects of MoO2. That, and ship design, which I suspect will be virtually absent in this card game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel van der pol
Netherlands
Leiden
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TsarRiri wrote:

What I really like about Eclipse is the streamlined engine of the game (with the exception of the Influence action).

Adding huge complexity on a "per planet" basis, where you have to manage what has been built per planet could be quite an issue to stream line the book keeping. I could perhaps see that each particular planet has a small bookkeeping "thing" (without going into details what it looks like) where you can "mark off" what has been build.

Probably adding a HUGE list of possible buildings could be extremely tedious, unless they come in the form of some smartly designed "wargame-like" counters you can place on the bookkeeping sheet.

Or the game could come with a large "pad note" (like you get with Yathzee), where you have a checkbox for each possible building and what the building adds to your economy (a Factory could add +2 Production while a Space Port adds +2 Money and +1 Science). You simply have to add up all the numbers and write that at the bottom (or keep track of with an App; needs Tablet to play could be a bit of a downer).

Or you could have something similar as Eclipse, where buildings allow you to place "population" from one of three resource producing tracks onto a building (where it depends on the building what you can place there). A Factory for example lets you place 1 population from Materials, Trade Port 1 population from Economy, Science Center 1 from Science (assuming the resources are the same as in Eclipse).

To be honest, I probably wouldn't like a game with such detail; I ditched TI3 when Eclipse came out as my "go-to" 4x-in-space game. It has its flaws but getting bogged down into lots of rules minutia or a huge amount of administrative overhead is not one of them. Besides, while I might enjoy a game with a bit more book keeping, I highly doubt whether I can find the time to play a 12+ hours game. But to each their own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Fike
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Moo would be awesome if it were FFG doing the design.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Fike
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
marcelvdpol wrote:
TsarRiri wrote:

What I really like about Eclipse is the streamlined engine of the game (with the exception of the Influence action).

Adding huge complexity on a "per planet" basis, where you have to manage what has been built per planet could be quite an issue to stream line the book keeping. I could perhaps see that each particular planet has a small bookkeeping "thing" (without going into details what it looks like) where you can "mark off" what has been build.

Probably adding a HUGE list of possible buildings could be extremely tedious, unless they come in the form of some smartly designed "wargame-like" counters you can place on the bookkeeping sheet.

Or the game could come with a large "pad note" (like you get with Yathzee), where you have a checkbox for each possible building and what the building adds to your economy (a Factory could add +2 Production while a Space Port adds +2 Money and +1 Science). You simply have to add up all the numbers and write that at the bottom (or keep track of with an App; needs Tablet to play could be a bit of a downer).

Or you could have something similar as Eclipse, where buildings allow you to place "population" from one of three resource producing tracks onto a building (where it depends on the building what you can place there). A Factory for example lets you place 1 population from Materials, Trade Port 1 population from Economy, Science Center 1 from Science (assuming the resources are the same as in Eclipse).

To be honest, I probably wouldn't like a game with such detail; I ditched TI3 when Eclipse came out as my "go-to" 4x-in-space game. It has its flaws but getting bogged down into lots of rules minutia or a huge amount of administrative overhead is not one of them. Besides, while I might enjoy a game with a bit more book keeping, I highly doubt whether I can find the time to play a 12+ hours game. But to each their own.

MOO1 had a global production queue that was contributed to by planets. MOo2 is the game that had planet by planet production.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger McKay
Canada
Bedford
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
schmoo34 wrote:
Moo would be awesome if it were FFG doing the design.

Not if it was still a 60 minute card game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.